Parrot Predictor (Read 1626 times)

HermosaBoy

Let me ask a clarifying question, in case I don't understand this.

Suppose I ran:

• 10mi easy on Monday
    • 5mi tempo on Tuesday
    • 10mi easy on Wednesday,
    • 6mi steady-state on Thursday

The Parrot Predictor would use most of my Monday run, all of my Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday runs, to say how fast a "marathon" I ran, albeit with overnight aid station breaks?

Is there utility in this, or is this just for giggles?

When you are doing faster long runs and speedwork, it is an indicator of how well you MIGHT be able to do.

Some reading about it...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

When you are doing faster long runs and speedwork, it is an indicator of how well you MIGHT be able to do.

Some reading about it...

But ... when you're doing decent mileage, faster long runs, and speedwork, don't you already kinda know how well you might be able to do? Probably with more accuracy than any predictor that uses your training runs as a basis?

This concept seems really goofy to me. Like Yasso 800s only slightly less idiotic.

Runners run

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

But ... when you're doing decent mileage, faster long runs, and speedwork, don't you already kinda know how well you might be able to do? Probably with more accuracy than any predictor that uses your training runs as a basis?

This concept seems really goofy to me. Like Yasso 800s only slightly less idiotic.

+1

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

HermosaBoy

Potentially, but it is just another indicator.

Everyone has different things they use to gauge fitness.

Some have to run races, others look at their paces and some look at specific workouts.

It was included in a spreadsheet log I used many years ago and at the time was a pretty good indicator for me.  I have stopped using the log because this site is easier due to GPS import and has many better features.  However, if I could have a widget that does the calculation -- cool beans...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Some reading about it...

From the linked article:

The idea, called the Parrott Predictor, was put forward by George Parrott an ultra-marathoner and professor at Cal State Sacramento. It says that a person’s time in a marathon will be no faster than the fastest cumulative 26.2 miles run any week during their marathon training. Figure out your fastest miles during a week of training and add up the best 26.2 of them and that will be the fastest you can run a marathon.

Apparently everyone on this thread has been misspelling it. Also it sounds kind of baseless. I bet my last four serious marathons are all faster than this estimator would predict. But if RA actually calculated this, especially as a post hoc report, then I could say more definitely that it is a bad predictor Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thank you AP - I was confused about what the bird had to do with this. Smile