2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

Are we there yet?

Great weather and grrrreat course out in SF. 3:30 was indicative of a relaxed day and a laid back summer.

Looking forward to the fall and some cooler temps. Next up I will be a crew member for the Leadville 100. Anyone done that before?

SF Race Report

Hey!  I'm up next.  I'm returning from a bruised knee in which blood was pooling.  That kept be down for about a week and a half.  Prior to that, I had been pretty confident with most of what I was doing.  Now, I'm not so sure.  But to keep this thread moving, I'll post some stuff about my training once in a while.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DoppleBock

I will take another shot at a sub 3: 11/18 - Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon - Nashville, TN

I am 0-2 at sub 3s on this course

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

My training has been for 3 totally separate events - 3 totally different workouts

1)  Trying to fit 1 speed workout in each week.  Mostly 4-5 x 1 mile a bit faster than LAT pace.  A few 4-5x 5 minutes at 30 minute pace. (Marathon training)

2)  Trying to fit one hill workout in each week ~ Not the speed type, but a 2-4 hour hill grinding up and down ... repeat ... or run 4-5 hours on a hilly technical trail (50 mile trail race training)

3)  Trying to fit one 4-7 hour run each week or 2 (24 hour training)

It means I am getting a little better at each every week, but not a lot better at each.  A jack of all trades and a master of none.

I will take another shot at a sub 3: 11/18 - Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon - Nashville, TN

Bless your foolish little heart.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I've determined that marathon training sucks.  This week didn't go well. 

First, I was supposed to run a 10 mile cutdown run on Wednesday.  I made it 8 miles before bonking.  I think I ended up dehydrated after despite drinking plenty of water the day before and the day of the run.

Second, I was supposed to do a 16 mile long run today with 9 miles at MP, but life crept up on me, and I couldn't get out the door until 9 PM.  So I cut back to a 10 mile easy run, and I'll try the long run tomorrow.  I'm going to be cramming a lot into the next week.

Right now, the sub-2:40 looks a long way off.

DoppleBock

This morning (Monday) was amazing - My hands were actually cold the 1st 2-3 miles.  I ran up and down highcliff tower road / trail hill for 2:40 last Thursday and like many runs the last few months ... my run was not limited by my fitess, but by my hydration levels and my ability to disipate heat.

This morning gave me hope of the return of coolness ~ Its amazing how much work you will get done with nice weather. 

I've determined that marathon training sucks.  This week didn't go well. 

First, I was supposed to run a 10 mile cutdown run on Wednesday.  I made it 8 miles before bonking.  I think I ended up dehydrated after despite drinking plenty of water the day before and the day of the run.

Second, I was supposed to do a 16 mile long run today with 9 miles at MP, but life crept up on me, and I couldn't get out the door until 9 PM.  So I cut back to a 10 mile easy run, and I'll try the long run tomorrow.  I'm going to be cramming a lot into the next week.

Right now, the sub-2:40 looks a long way off.

jjameson

The cooler weather in the upper midwest has definitely made me feel springier.

The week is complete, and I feel a little better than after last week.

Here's how the week broke down:

Monday:  Long run carryover form last week.  15 miles with 9 at goal MP.  This one wasn't easy.  The first five were mostly under pace, and the last four were just above MP.  I guess that probably evens out.

Tuesday:  Off

Wednesday:  Workout day:  6x800, Mini sharpener for the race on Saturday.  On the track, in flats, this was easy.  2:43 down to 2:41 for the first five, and the last one was 2:32.  1 min rest in between.  10 total

Thursday:  Off.  This wasn't supposed to happen, but it did.

Friday:  5 in the morning, 9 in the afternoon

Saturday:  5k race:  17:04.  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I can live with it considering that the week didn't exactly pan out the way I wanted.  11 total

Sunday:  20 mile long run.  First half in 1:11 something, and the second half in 1:11 something for a total of 2:22:59.  This is helping get my confidence on track.  One of the best long runs I've done even though there was no MP pace.

Total:  70 miles, 6 runs, 5 days.

Just realized I never posted my fall goal Marathon:  10/7 - Lakefront Marathon (Milwaukee, WI).  Goal <2:50

Right now it is a long shot as my speed work has not been good.  I don't think I've had more than one speed workout in temps below 80, and this week is promising to be no different.  The other thing going against me is that it is the same day as the Chicago Marathon, and around 100 miles away...

DoppleBock

I am finding out something about past training from current training - We are all an experiment of one - For me I was doing way too intense workouts way to early in the marathon training cycle.  Basically either too fast or too much total speed. 

The difference is really a nuence and not a whole sale change - Maybe 10 seconds a mile in speed or maybe that one last interval.  I think that occassional over speeding or over intervalling it would be fine - Say once every 2 weeks, but once I would get into that mentality that each workout had to be as good or better than the last - It would snowball.

This lead me to peak early all the time and be stale and on the decline on marathon day.

I think I might have posted this before - But I recently did 3 or 4 workouts in a row that were a reaching and it re-hit me like a ton of bricks.

DoppleBock

I think you definately can - It will be a matter of the next 6 weeks and the weather that day. 

Just realized I never posted my fall goal Marathon:  10/7 - Lakefront Marathon (Milwaukee, WI).  Goal <2:50

Right now it is a long shot as my speed work has not been good.  I don't think I've had more than one speed workout in temps below 80, and this week is promising to be no different.  The other thing going against me is that it is the same day as the Chicago Marathon, and around 100 miles away...

I am in for another shot at sub3. I will be running in chicago, and my training has been going pretty well. Today I ran 21 miles with the middle 7 at 7:30 pace and the last 7 at marathon pace. My biggest problem is staying hydrated right now.   I lost about 5 lbs and really struggled with the last 2. I carried water bottles with me and drank 48 ounces and still lost about 3 lbs. Hopefully Chicago will be a little cooler and hydration will not be as difficult. 

joescott

I didn't call the right race, I guess, but I got 'er done yesterday at Sioux Falls:  2:51:38

As indicated originally, I still have Dallas in my sites, however.  I even registered and everything.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Wow.  Time has gone fast, and I'm now 9 days away.  I've had my ups and downs with my main trouble being doing the long, marathon-paced workouts.  I've been able to handle intervals, but I don't think I'm quite strong enough to hit the MP workouts.  I did my last hard workout on Wednesday, I did well with that one, so that was a boost to the confidence.  I still think that sub-2:40 is going to take a really special day, but I'm going to just try to get myself into a race--that seems to be where I run the best.

The only thing left to worry about is not gaining a bunch of pounds while I back off my mileage.