Beginner Half Marathon (Read 665 times)

lobo

How long should I give myself to train for my first half? I am not the typical runner. Previously my longest run was miles and that was about 11 months ago before an accident that left me on the sidelines.

Queen of 3rd Place

For my first HM I used Hal Higdon's Novice program which was 12 weeks. It assumes you can run 3 or 4 mi, I believe. If you're feeling iffy, you can start with training up for a 5K first and see how it goes. You've been laid up a long time, and injured, if it was me I'd err on the side of taking my time. Arla

Ex runner

Runs with ALTITUDE!

I am not the typical runner.
        LOL! I'm not sure I'd know what one of those is!!!! Anyhoo!!! Before running my first half marathon, my longest run was 10 miles.

SMART Approach

Why not shoot for a 10K first? Without aerobic base it is a challenge to do well in a half. You can finish, but it is a strain to the body. Certainly, you can go for it but give yourself plenty of time - 6 months.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Why not shoot for a 10K first? Without aerobic base it is a challenge to do well in a half. You can finish, but it is a strain to the body. Certainly, you can go for it but give yourself plenty of time - 6 months.
            To paraphrase some advice I was given when trying to decide if/when to run my first marathon this year - how about slowly ramp up your miles with a plan like the Higdon one mentioned by arlahile above. If you think this is too much in the latter part of the plan then you can back off a bit and run a 10K. Then recover and shoot for running another training cycle. Or just sign up and do it. That is what I normally do - but not what I recommend. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?