'We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.' (Read 569 times)

If you have a chance, check out a BBC documentary on Netflix: Louis Theroux: Miami Mega Jail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Theroux:_Miami_Mega_Jail

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Mysecondnewname

I find it interesting that as I'm reading this thread, there is an NRA ad to the right of it.

L Train

nolamama

CQTM

Hammers.

Obviously that man just needed more love.

Mysecondnewname

Well, if it is nature, we don't even have the right to torture them in prison. .

If we take this notion to the extreme, then we could excuse any act, no matter how heinous, just because the actor had a predilection towards that particular behavior.

Surely not!

There seems to be a fundamental difference of ideology on the exact nature of what a "criminal" really is.  One side seems to regard the kids who did this act as inherently "evil", and, as such, by definition, they can never be rehabiliated or reformed.  The other side regards the kids as mentally defective/disturbed/distorted (whether through bad societal conditions, mental illness or a mixture of both) and, as such, capable of at least potentially being rehabilitated and restored as functioning members of society.

In other words, the distinction in viewpoint here seems to be between "evil" (not curable) and "sick" (curable), between an "eye for an eye" and a rehabilitative/curative approach.

In my opinion, if we adopt the first viewpoint, we've completely given up on the possibility of a "correctional facility" doing anything other than housing and/or executing "evildoers."  That is disturbing.

Would I mind to live nearby a criminal? I certainly would be cautious but I don't think I would mind. I know criminals are all around me. The people that committed those crimes don't really change their mental status suddenly before and after the crime.

David,

How about Paul Bernardo?  Do you want him moving to a neighboring town in Nova Scotia?

How about his wife Karla Homolka?

Would you want to have them as your neighbors?

(I'm guessing you know their names from a few years ago)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

In my opinion, if we adopt the first viewpoint, we've completely given up on the possibility of a "correctional facility" doing anything other than housing and/or executing "evildoers."  That is disturbing.

You are talking in absolutes, when I am sure the people in this thread (such as myself) to whom you are referring were not.  I'm sure there are a lot of criminals who can be rehabilitated.  But there are crimes...such as the imprisonment of the 3 girls in Cleveland for which the suspect shows absolutely no remorse, or this case of 3 individuals who randomly pick a life to end out of nothing but boredom...that demonstrate such an extreme level of moral bankruptcy that it is clear they are beyond hope.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JimR

Quote from spaniel on 8/21/2013 at 7:05 AM:

you're not screaming to ban cars, alcohol, or cell phones .

I'll ask again, what does this have to do with guns?

Julia1971

A few years ago, my ex was registering voters. He happened to be assigned to my neighborhood. Our conversation went something like this.

Him: I didn't register a lot of people. They kept saying they couldn't vote.

Me: Here illegally?

Him: No. Felons.

LOL! I haven't looked at my neighbors the same since.

Would I mind to live nearby a criminal? I certainly would be cautious but I don't think I would mind. I know criminals are all around me. The people that committed those crimes don't really change their mental status suddenly before and after the crime.

I believe that mixing with the society and the public is a solution and I believe that love changes everything, professional helps, psychotherapy, public help, acceptance, etc.

I heard a story from a friend of mine who lives in San Francisco. He said the area used to be full of crimes and it was mainly a Black community. Very few Caucasians wanted to live there. Then things have changed since Asians immigrated and mixed in. 

But there are crimes...such as the imprisonment of the 3 girls in Cleveland for which the suspect shows absolutely no remorse, or this case of 3 individuals who randomly pick a life to end out of nothing but boredom...that demonstrate such an extreme level of moral bankruptcy that it is clear they are beyond hope.

Who gets to decide who is morally bankrupt and who is not?  On what rational basis can such a decision be made?

David,

How about Paul Bernardo?  Do you want him moving to a neighboring town in Nova Scotia?

How about his wife Karla Homolka?

Would you want to have them as your neighbors?

(I'm guessing you know their names from a few years ago)

I never heard of them until now. In 1995 I was in China under the Communist protection. Apparently the world was glorious without evils according to the Communist publicity. :-)

My answer is still the same.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

Quote from spaniel on 8/21/2013 at 7:05 AM:

I'll ask again, what does this have to do with guns?

If you had any reading comprehension, you would know this has been answered directly.  Look, I don't write people off easily but you have reached my limit, don't lose any sleep waiting for another response.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Who gets to decide who is morally bankrupt and who is not?  On what rational basis can such a decision be made?

The legal system has mechanisms to determine the proper punishment for various crimes.  Whether I think someone is morally bankrupt or not is a personal opinion.  For a legal bar, one could look at the line drawn between life in prison and the death penalty for some insight into how a jury might draw the line as it applies to real punishment.  I recall from years ago an example of someone who got the death penalty; one of the jurors reported that the fact that he had calmly finished his victim's McDonalds as he left the crime scene demonstrated his gross indifference to having ended a human life.

I never heard of them until now. In 1995 I was in China under the Communist protection. Apparently the world was glorious without evils according to the Communist publicity. :-)

My answer is still the same.

I lived that nightmare in 1991.  I was in Burlington at a friends party the night Lesley Mahaffey went missing, and many of my friends were friends with Lesley.  In fact, a week later, i found out that one of those friends was dating her and was possibly a suspect.  That summer was crazy, and it was great to see them caught, but it's a disappointment that Karla is now free to live as 'your' neighbor anywhere in Canada.

I know other Canadians think as I do.

(yes, I know she left Canada and moved to Central America in order to live a normal life and be a good mom to her very young kids)

sick and sad story.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life