It's a real disorder, I'm sure of it.... (Read 787 times)

I've been self diagnosed with a disorder that I'm sure you have either suffered from or know someone who has. The disorder is known around the world - or at least around my house - as Voracious Ravenitis. The disorder presents itself, at least in my case, as having an easy time watching my calories on non-running days, but on the days I run, I find it almost impossible to restrict my calorie count. I'm talking about 800-1,000 calorie carbo sessions - after dinner. I'm currently at 205 - and the website I hit to figure out how many calories to consume per day and lose 1-2 pounds a week suggested that I should eat 2,400 calories per day. That number has been working fine for me and the pounds literally fell off for the first few weeks - I still wasn't running much and found it (semi) easy to maintain my intake to very close to 2,400 calories. But as my running has increased, so has my calorie intake. Does anyone have any sites or info they use to more accurately estimate what my caloric intake should be? Secondly, does anyone have any strategies I can use to stop eating like a pig on the days I run?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

first off, I don't run to lose weight so I can't help with the ins and outs of that. But. I can say that my weight fluctuates 3-5 lbs either direction...whether I run or not. I find days where I just. can't. eat. even after a long grueling run...can't eat. The scale doesn't move. Then there are days where I can eat anything that's not locked down and I gorge myself. I'll actually drop weight. Either which way, I probably couldn't lose 5 lbs to save my life. My body just won't go outside of the range of normal for me. So, I'll just regurgitate old faithful: listen to your body. When it's time to feed the neverending hunger, just try to make good choices and don't fall into Willy Wonka's Chocolate lake. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Does anyone have any sites or info they use to more accurately estimate what my caloric intake should be?
        Yes. About 1500 kcal per day for a woman, 1800 kcal per day for a man. That is all the info you really need. Don't worry about your height or your heart rate or the extensive metabolic testing. This is about where you need to be. Plus about 75-150 kcal per mile run, more if you weigh more. This is to maintain steady weight. If you want to drop weight, you need less. Check this
        JakeKnight

Secondly, does anyone have any strategies I can use to stop eating like a pig on the days I run?
          It's going to sound like trite advice, but here it is: Run more. Despite the common myths, if you eat less and move more, you lose or maintain weight. Period. If you can't control the eating, just run more. Slowly build up the mileage, but run more. I'm pretty convinced that the body will find its own regulatory scheme if you let it. At 20 miles per week, I experienced those same cravings you're having. At 40 miles a week, running 5-7 days a week, they vanished. I still eat whatever the hell I want, but upping the mileage simply lowered my appetite. And, of course, I'm also burning ridiculous amounts of calories. At 50-60 mpw, still eating whatever I want, I've dropped to a weight not seen since the last century. All from mileage. Run more. Running is like beer. It cures everything, and more is generally better, as long as you're not operating heavy machinery.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

Run more. Running is like beer. It cures everything, and more is generally better, as long as you're not operating heavy machinery.
            Best. Line. Ever!!!!!!
              Thanks for the great advice everyone! So I think what I've learned from this thread is that beer is the cure to Voracious Ravenitis! Whew - and to think that I thought it was incurable. Lifesabeach - I agree with this in concept (listening to my body) - but I have to ask myself, isn't that how I ended up with the 40 extra pounds to start with? Good advice, I think, for me in the long term, but in the short term -- while my body is still adapting to quitting smoking, running again, and eating healthier than I ever have -- listening to my body isn't something I'm sure I trust yet - if you know what I mean. With what Trent is saying, it sounds like my calorie intake plan is too high to start with. I also noticed in the thread that was linked about diet drinks being a problem too. My name is Mike, and I'm a Diet Coke Addict. Hmm, I'll have to read up on that topic some more. And I like JK's advice about running more - doesn't sound trite at all. Doubling my mileage sounds easier than giving up the Diet Coke anyway. I wonder if I can replace the Diet Cokes with beer on a one for one basis Cool

muse_runner

keep running.

Well I enjoy that voraciousness but then my body just acclimates and I'm sad. I'm totally acclimated already and I'm pissed. So you're saying run MORE, Trent? grrrrrr
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Muse. You need to run more. Ain't there a pace bunny tickling your nose? Evil grin
                    Lifesabeach - I agree with this in concept (listening to my body) - but I have to ask myself, isn't that how I ended up with the 40 extra pounds to start with? Good advice, I think, for me in the long term, but in the short term -- while my body is still adapting to quitting smoking, running again, and eating healthier than I ever have -- listening to my body isn't something I'm sure I trust yet - if you know what I mean.
                    ok, so maybe I'm not the best one to take advice from Confused Blush looking at Trent's advice, I guess I'm not one to talk. I'd wager a guess that there are many days I don't hit my ideal caloric intake and then there are days where I probably go over so it all evens out in the wash for me. Looking at my parents ( Tight lipped ), I only have a few good years left and all I'll have left after that is running...I hope. Yes

Jennifer mm#1231

I'm in the same boat and used to be able to wolf down an entire bag of potato chips is one sitting. Yum! Now I'm less able or willing to surrender to those impulses. A few things that have worked for me are: Drink a full 8-12 oz glass of water when I start to feel hungry when I shouldn't. Fills me up a bit and if I end up caving anyway, I'll eat less since I'm already partially full. Make sure I get plenty of protein, since it satisfies my appetite longer and reduces the chance of an in-between-meal binge. YMMV. I'm also switching to low-glycemic carbs (fibrous vegetables, basically) from high-glycemics like crackers, fruit juice, and Wavy Lays Smile JK may be right in advocating more miles. I don't feel hungry after a long run until much later. I guess just want water and a full body massage (I usually only get one of the two - you can guess which). Otherwise, I try to eat when I'm hungry, slowly , and stop when I'm not. I don't eat until I'm full. That seems to be helping me feel what it's like to be in between hungry and full.
                        Life, I didn't mean to imply that your advice wasn't good - only that I'm probably not ready for it yet. As an update, I read a bunch of articles on diet soda and obesity and as much as I hate to, I think I'm going to eliminate my Diet Coke and see what happens.