Rome will not bid for 2020 Olympics, Madrid will? (Read 463 times)

Both Italy and Spain have financial problems with debt: Rome is withdrawing its bid for that reason, Madrid proceeding because it says the economic development will help them pull out of their problems. This raise some questions in my mind:

1) Did the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 result in a longer term stimulus to the national economy?

2) It seems to be accepted that the legacy of the Athens Olympics has not been a positive one, and that the costs outweighed the benefits, can Madrid do things differently? Do they have suitable venues already in place, for example, so that the costs would be much lower?

3) Some Olympics, such as Atlanta, have been commercialized to an annoying degree, but given the current economic situation and increased cost of security and drug testing, possibly lower TV revenues etc., can the London Olympics expect to break even or make a net profit? 

4) Sydney was a success as source of national pride, generally well run, and no doubt resulted in increased tourism etc., so was likely a financial success. How about Beijing?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

What happened to reduce, reuse, recycle. Outside of lining the pockets of the IOC with dollars/pounds/euros/drachma, etc -- I don't get why the Olympics are constantly building new venues. Just build a pool, a stadium and a few things in one place and go there every 4 years. Or, build two and rotate between northern and southern hemisphere.  Need neutral locations? Ok, create two little principalities of North and South Olympicstan.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Menace to Sobriety

Need neutral locations? Ok, create two little principalities of North and South Olympicstan.

Why not Newt's moon colony? Sure to be some records broken there, high jump and pole vault to name a few.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

What happened to reduce, reuse, recycle. Outside of lining the pockets of the IOC with dollars/pounds/euros/drachma, etc -- I don't get why the Olympics are constantly building new venues. Just build a pool, a stadium and a few things in one place and go there every 4 years. Or, build two and rotate between northern and southern hemisphere.  Need neutral locations? Ok, create two little principalities of North and South Olympicstan.

I think the problem is that the venues have to meet high standards to be certified by the IOC for this level of competition. Some major cities, especially those which have recently hosted World Championships, such as Daegu, Berlin etc. or the Commonwealth or PanAm Games, would presumably have adequate facilities for the events that are contested in those events, but the Olympics, for political reasons, move to different nations and hemispheres.

Part of the reason for my question is that I live near Toronto, and my tax dollars will be at work building athlete housing, media centres and venues for the PanAm games.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rio baffles me more than Madrid.