New Running App (Read 756 times)

Jeff,

i agree the live app is producing weird results.  The apple version went live tonight and I've noticed the things you've been saying. Will post when some updates happen.  Thanks for patience work in progress!!!!! Stay warm out there!!

HI B.

having trouble finding any useful info. There are races posted (in future dates) that have already happened. Cant get distance to work for search (sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't). Also... The race listings are taking up too much room. The 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5k, 10k, etc. all take up room like they are their own race. I'm scrolling forever just to get through one run.

about how often are improvements to the web design happening?

Jeff,

made an update available on android and apple that lists the races via date instead of distance. Also I have administration rights added that I can delete some of the "junk" races that seem to be produced by active.com.  For instance there were around 30 some races that were mere clinics for Boston marathon beore the actual Boston marathon would show up.   I deleted those and will always be working on that.   Pulling races nightly so it is adding races by around 300-400 a night and updating the current ones in there. Again the webpage isn't the main focus or cost so I'm not as concerned with it as much. It's a tool to add races. I want the app to be the main product with the webpage as a tool to add and make reviewing easier if doing a longer review. Thanks again for feedback and sorry the app isn't something you find too useful quite yet.

HI B.

having trouble finding any useful info. There are races posted (in future dates) that have already happened. Cant get distance to work for search (sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't). Also... The race listings are taking up too much room. The 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5k, 10k, etc. all take up room like they are their own race. I'm scrolling forever just to get through one run.

about how often are improvements to the web design happening?

CT JEFF

Hey B- Definitely improving. I cant choose the date range or the distance range on the Android App. It seems there are less erroneous entries.  I dont even care that all the races arent listed (or how many are) I cant sort the information. Its still useless. Too many posts for the exact same races. I can scroll quicker through the web than the app. Im getting frustrated attempting to get this to work.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Updates to the app have been made.  Some minor and some large.  The webpage is coming along.  We did our best to reduce the duplicates.  Active.com still have a lot of 'virtual races" that are hard to manage.  Please let me know if there are some races that you don't see and we can get those on there.  Thanks for the downloads!!

Version 1.0.7 is out and has a better filter section which you can select a date range. Now over 400,000 races implemented.  Thanks for the feedback folks.

The new website is up....

www.runamerica.co

WE now provide free racing bibs to race directors/timers......

Will be at the runningusa conference next week, if you are going lets chat!!

New fully native app will be released soon with over 400,000 races to search and review

Thank you for all the comments good and bad...they were critical in the building and rebuilding of this  app and website

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Congrats!

BUT: the first face validity test I tried failed. I typed in a search for "monkey" and it did not find the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon.

The new website is up....

www.runamerica.co

Thanks for looking I uploaded this race last year I don't have it in the system for 2017.   I'll get it added again.   All races from run-america.com are being ported over to the new link so the old one didn't pop up either.  

Fyi your quote that is a link to the Harpeth hills marathon site didn't work. I will get it in there so you can type in your key words and pull it up.  Is this your race as race director?!

Congrats!

BUT: the first face validity test I tried failed. I typed in a search for "monkey" and it did not find the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indeed :

We discussed this around the time of your first posts.

Is this your race as race director?! 

npaden

I searched for races near "Lubbock, Texas" and it gave me 25 results from Florida to California to Maine.

I know of several local races and some a lot closer than any of the results that showed up.

The search engine really seemed to take a while.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmm, needs work, I'd say. My search for races near Lincoln NE took minutes, but it finally came up with some races in Ireland and England, followed by Florida and Georgia.

Thanks for the write up.. check run-america.com and down load the app and tell me what you get on that location.   As I was saying above the new website will be up and running good soon.  WAs hoping more for feedback on design etc.  You will see the difference between the new website runamerica.co and the old www.run-america.com    The old site is more basic with the bulk of the races. The new site we are making more user friendly and still importing all the races (transferring them over)....thanks for the feedback    Check out the app on apple and android.  Its pulling from the old site now so you should see more races

Hmm, needs work, I'd say. My search for races near Lincoln NE took minutes, but it finally came up with some races in Ireland and England, followed by Florida and Georgia.

I got around 30 races when I searched on our old site.  They will be on the new site soon.  Thanks again for the feedback..   This all really does help.  It's awesome that you all are looking in theses types of cities. It's hard for me to pick every small or midsize to large cities and go through them.   Thanks again.

I searched for races near "Lubbock, Texas" and it gave me 25 results from Florida to California to Maine.

I know of several local races and some a lot closer than any of the results that showed up.

The search engine really seemed to take a while.

Yes sorry about that. I remember entering this race information in last year and your input was valuable.    Appreciate you!

Indeed :

We discussed this around the time of your first posts.

an amazing likeness

I tried it out, here's some frank & specific feedback -- I would not seek out this site as a source.

(1) the search is hard to get right the first time, the UI / UX doesn't make sense at a glance, specifically in identifying the filters which are scrolled off the lower part of the screen, also the location box is reluctant to offer a state as the target geographic filter.

(2) race name / title seldom matters in a search -- the search hierarchy I need is: distance -> location -> date -> name;

(3) even the most popular races -- the key events -- in my area don't seem to come up; (for example, the "Covered Bridges Half Marathon" is arguably the most 2nd most popular race in VT...not listed, Mid-Winter 10-Mile Classic in Maine...not listed, etc)

(4)  I don't trust a .CO domain unless I know the vendor is legit.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.