2012 Gardening Thread (Read 1516 times)

tomatolover

Over the past year, I've fallen in love with swiss chard...I like it better than spinach for its flavor & texture (spinach always squeaks between my teeth).  I strip it from its stem, chop the stem & cook it first with a bit of oil & garlic to start, then splash of water & a lid to quasi-braise it...generally after about 5 minutes or so, the stem is pretty tender & then I add the chopped up leaves & a splash of something acidic (balsamic/wine/etc), re-cover & let the leaves wilt.    

vegefrog

Sounds like what I do with my broccoli rabe, easy and delicious! Thanks Smile

Prince of Fatness

What say the RA Gardeners (and particularly MrFinn, since he lives semi-close to me)?

I live in Zone 7a.  I normally plant mid-May.  Given this year's weather, do you think I can risk planting now?

I live in the northwest part of the state.  In these parts we wait until Mother's Day to plant cold sensitive stuff.  You're near the shore, right?  I would say that you are a week or two ahead of me.  If the forecast is looks good you are probably OK to plant now.  There are things that you can do if there is a late frost.  Cover the plants, get up early and water them, etc.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Got another squirrel today.

Not at it at all. 

I live in the northwest part of the state.  In these parts we wait until Mother's Day to plant cold sensitive stuff.  You're near the shore, right?  I would say that you are a week or two ahead of me.  If the forecast is looks good you are probably OK to plant now.  There are things that you can do if there is a late frost.  Cover the plants, get up early and water them, etc.

Actually, no, I'm not near the shore, I'm closer to Philly.  Not too far from where 206 and 70 intersect.

It's all kinda moot now, since I didn't plant yesterday, and it is pouring rain for the next few days.  I really don't have time after work, so it will end up being next Saturday.  Which is only two weeks early than I usually do anyway.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

Actually, no, I'm not near the shore, I'm closer to Philly.  Not too far from where 206 and 70 intersect.

It's all kinda moot now, since I didn't plant yesterday, and it is pouring rain for the next few days.  I really don't have time after work, so it will end up being next Saturday.  Which is only two weeks early than I usually do anyway.

Ah, OK.  I have an idea where you are.  I am near Phillipsburg.  You're definitely a couple weeks ahead of me.  I say go for it next weekend. 

Not at it at all. 

Built the first bed this weekend and cleaned out  the planter.  We're a bit behind already with the temperatures we've had so far this year in SC.  

Planter will have cucumber's, I've got to build a trellis for that still..

Big Bed #1 will have tomatoes (only thing planted so far),  variety of peppers and then some lettuce.   We only went 10" deep with the bed and I hope that it's enough.  If the woodland creatures do a number on the bed, I might have to add a second story to it for next year.   

Depending on when I get the other beds built, we may not get anything else into them this spring.   

Former runner

I've been working on expanding my garden this year. So far I have the new trellis up for the hops and the posts in for a fence to keep the varmints out. I spent the last couple days removing grass and moving dirt around. I'll need to pick up some compost to amend the soil since it's mostly clay on the surface here.

Anyone ever use bio-solids in a garden? I've got a small compost pile going but I'll need a bunch more for the expansion I have planned. I can get the bio-solids for free from the local waste treatment facility but I'm not sure about using them in a garden considering where they come from. The documentation say they are composted for 3+ years and are safe for garden use.

Ross

Prince of Fatness

Anyone ever use bio-solids in a garden? I've got a small compost pile going but I'll need a bunch more for the expansion I have planned. I can get the bio-solids for free from the local waste treatment facility but I'm not sure about using them in a garden considering where they come from. The documentation say they are composted for 3+ years and are safe for garden use.

Rather than debate whether they are safe or not I will just say that I would not use that stuff on my garden.  It may take more time, but your homemade compost will do the trick,  I started with orange colored clay and now my garden has chocolate brown soil.

Not at it at all. 

HappyFeat

I know this isn't about gardening. It's about fleas in the garden. I'm trying to whip my "yard" into shape, flower beds, shrubs, etc. The back yard borders on a wild area inhabited by racoons.  I really need to work on the the back yard, but the last two times I did, I ended up with numerous flea bites. I got about a dozen or so on my torso last Sunday. Got a headache and flushed face that night, but didn't connect it with the bites. Monday I was sore and achey, but thought it was the 8 hours of yardwork that did me in. My running has really sucked this week - feel like the wheels have come off. I'm afraid the flea bites have given me a "bug."  I expect I'll get over it, but what can I do to prevent it other than have someone else do the yard work? Wear flea collars on my arms?  Has anyone else encountered fleas outside like this?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Feeling the growl again

I know this isn't about gardening. It's about fleas in the garden. I'm trying to whip my "yard" into shape, flower beds, shrubs, etc. The back yard borders on a wild area inhabited by racoons.  I really need to work on the the back yard, but the last two times I did, I ended up with numerous flea bites. I got about a dozen or so on my torso last Sunday. Got a headache and flushed face that night, but didn't connect it with the bites. Monday I was sore and achey, but thought it was the 8 hours of yardwork that did me in. My running has really sucked this week - feel like the wheels have come off. I'm afraid the flea bites have given me a "bug."  I expect I'll get over it, but what can I do to prevent it other than have someone else do the yard work? Wear flea collars on my arms?  Has anyone else encountered fleas outside like this?

The only thing you can do is remove the raccoons.  Fleas won't last long without a host.  One got into my inlaws house one night through the chimney flu.  By the next morning that whole room was filled with fleas.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HappyFeat

The only thing you can do is remove the raccoons.  Fleas won't last long without a host.  One got into my inlaws house one night through the chimney flu.  By the next morning that whole room was filled with fleas.

SurprisedShocked I feel for your inlaws - (literally, I'm itching) I don't know if I have any hope then because I'm sure there's a whole herd of them in there and I suspect more will come if I get a trapper to catch the current residents.  Still... I think I will contact someone I was told is an experienced raccoon trapper and ask if he thinks the situation can be remedied.  So...you don't think arming myself with flea collars will work?Joking

vegefrog

You could try spraying the area...I mean it won't get rid of them forever if the racoons keep hosting them. It would cut down on them though. Every spring we spray our yard for fleas and ticks, just as added protection for my dogs and cats. They also get Frontline or Advantage, but I don't want one single flea or tick in my house!

HappyFeat

Spraying - a brilliant idea! Even if it's not a permanent fix, perhaps it would enable me to work out there on occasion. I've lived here 10 years and this is the first year for the fleas, although I know racoons have been in the area the whole time. I'm hoping the pest control guy can figure out if they have a den nearby or something along those lines that could be "discouraged."

Prince of Fatness

Don't mess with me, varmits!!  Two more today.  Finally got the groundhog and this is the third squirrel.  For all of you animal lovers out there I let them go.

Not at it at all.