"K-Cup" Coffee Makers (Read 379 times)

jpdeaux

jpdeaux what's your setup for the cold-brew?  I tried the Toddy a few years back and didn't like it - worried about that little plug coming out in the fridge, didn't like the single-supplier filters.  I did like the coffee, though...

Just a one quart jar, 6 scoops of coffee and water to fill. I use my old brewer's filter cone, but any old paper cone holder should work. Even decanting directly into a mug works in a pinch once the grounds have settled.

Recipe from NYT - don't know why they recommend filtering twice. (Recipe, ha. Water+coffee.)

One of the NYT articles

Prince of Fatness

Just a one quart jar, 6 scoops of coffee and water to fill. I use my old brewer's filter cone, but any old paper cone holder should work. Even decanting directly into a mug works in a pinch once the grounds have settled.

Recipe from NYT - don't know why they recommend filtering twice. (Recipe, ha. Water+coffee.)

One of the NYT articles

I like my coffee hot, but I really need to try this.  I would think that it would not be as bitter microwaved because it is heated after the grounds have been removed.  Seems simple enough.

Not at it at all. 

I brew a coffee porter and that's how I do the coffee.  I cold steep 1/2 pound of coffee in a quart of water for 24 hours, strain, then add to the beer right after I turn the flame off.  Cold steeped coffee is no doubt less bitter than hot brewed.

Someone else posted that you could peel the foil off, dump the grounds in the compost, then recycle the plastic.  I tried it.  It is a pain.  The grounds don't come out easy and most get rinsed down the drain.

Is this true?  That the plastic is recyclable?  In that case, i might be more inclined to get a Keurig.

Of course I won't, but I would still be more inclined.  :-)

My regular old Mr. Coffee drip works just fine.

Jeff

Julia1971

Update: In an effort to get more counter space in my kitchen, I got rid of the coffee maker all together.  I bought a french press and am enjoy the most flavorful coffee I've had in a while.  I'm using the same coffee - store bought ground Starbucks.  I wouldn't have thought letting the grounds steep would make such a huge difference.  And, the coffee is hotter.  It's a few more steps in the morning, but so far it's been worth it.

This was a very informative thread.  I wouldn't have thought it would get 5 pages but apparently runners are passionate about their coffee.  Smile

Village people

Update: In an effort to get more counter space in my kitchen, I got rid of the coffee maker all together.  I bought a french press and am enjoy the most flavorful coffee I've had in a while.  I'm using the same coffee - store bought ground Starbucks.  I wouldn't have thought letting the grounds steep would make such a huge difference.  And, the coffee is hotter.  It's a few more steps in the morning, but so far it's been worth it.

This was a very informative thread.  I wouldn't have thought it would get 5 pages but apparently runners are passionate about their coffee.  Smile

I recently purchased a french press, too. It makes great coffee and it is nice and hot.

BeeRunB

I just had a vacation in Italy, and the coffee is like Bob Dylan's lyrics as compared to those of The Archies (music vid) that I've been drinking here at home. I like The Archies, but the lyrics don't move me. The coffee in Italy moved me. It was even great out of the machines at the hotel. It always came out with a little brown coffee swirl on top.

(p.s. That Archies' video I linked to is of pop cultural significance, and anyone here who is a pop culture maven (degree or not) born after 1980 should check it out. I think it's SFW, though I'm not sure why the dog was licking its chops at dancing Veronica at 2:08, and the symbolism of Archie being turned into a bunny by Sabrina's kiss totally went over my head when I was a kid, but not now!)

I just had a vacation in Italy, and the coffee is like Bob Dylan's lyrics as compared to those of The Archies (music vid) that I've been drinking here at home. I like The Archies, but the lyrics don't move me. The coffee in Italy moved me. It was even great out of the machines at the hotel. It always came out with a little brown coffee swirl on top.

(p.s. That Archies' video I linked to is of pop cultural significance, and anyone here who is a pop culture maven (degree or not) born after 1980 should check it out. I think it's SFW, though I'm not sure why the dog was licking its chops at dancing Veronica at 2:08, and the symbolism of Archie being turned into a bunny by Sabrina's kiss totally went over my head when I was a kid, but not now!)

We'll be heading to Italy in just a week or so. Just one more thing to look forward to! Thanks for the heads up.

I use one at home, because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, and I'm not capable of operating a french press before my first cup of coffee.  And I only infrequently have more than one cup at home.

I use one at work, because the stuff in the drip machines always tastes burnt.

I've been experimenting with the cold brew method.  I need to find a good reusable filter to make it work - any recommendations?