Not the best way to win a race (Read 1322 times)

A Saucy Wench

This is what it looked like to me .. in the first few seconds of running that you can see the second girl (who finished first), she seems to be running at a pace where she knows she is going to finish second .. and then sees the first place girl just about get up from her fall .. and she puts in a burst of speed to just pip her at the post.

Hmmm, looked to me like the fallen runner threw up her hands in victory and shuffled across the finish line.  Yes she fell, yes it probably hurt like hell, but if she had gutted it out she might have held her off.  Or not. That's racing. 

I put on bursts of speed to "pip" (love that!) someone to get 15th place in my AG. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Is it time again to talk about whether guys running in women's marathons should let the women finish first?

It almost seems to me that the guy who's running by the girl who fell "pushed" her ahead at the finish.  If that's the case, she should be even disqualified.  I'm not sure what the fuss is about.  If someone falls in the race, should everybody else halt till he/she gets up and gather composure?  

While it is a great display of sportsman/womenship to help out even right at the finish line; it should never be a rule or have-to or expected.  There's a reason why a runner collapse.  Some may be faulty situation like being tripped, etc., but in many cases, the reason is, as someone else had mentioned, improper pacing, lack of preparation, dehydration, etc.  Then it would become an issue of what's really FAIR.  Is it fair to help out those who didn't properly prepared to those who had prepared properly and paced themselves properly?  

It should probably be noted if someone helped out other collapsing runner; but it shouldn't even be a topic of discussion that if someone didn't do anything about it.  

Even with the assistance of the guy telling her exactly where the next runner is, and possibly pushing her, she still slowed at the finish and allowed herself to be passed. 

It's probably better for everyone that the race was won by the Ukrainian.  Had the Polish runner won I wonder if there would have been claims of an unfair finish.  The only thing "unfair" about the Ukrainian winning was that... well, actually nothing. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

While it is a great display of sportsman/womenship to help out even right at the finish line; it should never be a rule or have-to or expected.  There's a reason why a runner collapse.  Some may be faulty situation like being tripped, etc., but in many cases, the reason is, as someone else had mentioned, improper pacing, lack of preparation, dehydration, etc.  Then it would become an issue of what's really FAIR.  Is it fair to help out those who didn't properly prepared to those who had prepared properly and paced themselves properly?

Is anyone even arguing that the winner had a moral obligation to let the fallen finish ahead of her?  Like I said, it's supererogatory; we should rightfully applaud those that express a higher commitment to sports(wo)manship than to victory.  But nobody can rightfully shun the victor, because she has no moral obligation to assist a competitor when the rules of the game have not be tampered with unfairly.

Now, if some insane fan body-checked the lead woman, and the other took advantage of it to claim victory, the win would certainly be muddied because she only won because of something unfair (defined by the rules of the competition) that happen to the second place finisher.

Personally, I find the man's role in this whole thing rather confusing.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

'86 Mets should return their title.  They should know it was not right that Buckner let that ball through his legs. 

North Carolina should return the 1993 NCAA basketball title.  Chris Webber made a mistake when calling a timeout.  Michigan should have won. 

The Giants should return that Lombardi trophy from the 2007 season.  That catch was crazy stupid luck. 

They should replay the 2003 word series and put the Cubs in.  The Marlins know that without Bartman they could not have won.

The 1982 St. Williams team should return the consolation championship from the Waukesha County youth basketball tournament.  Every one of those bastards knows I only missed those two free throws 'cause some chick in the crowd was taunting me.  That ain't fair.   

Is anyone even arguing that the winner had a moral obligation to let the fallen finish ahead of her?  Like I said, it's supererogatory; we should rightfully applaud those that express a higher commitment to sports(wo)manship than to victory.  But nobody can rightfully shun the victor, because she has no moral obligation to assist a competitor when the rules of the game have not be tampered with unfairly.

Check out the title of the thread.  And the OP. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

The 1982 St. Williams team should return the consolation championship from the Waukesha County youth basketball tournament.  Every one of those bastards knows I only missed those two free throws 'cause some chick in the crowd was taunting me.  That ain't fair.   

funny... i laughed...

originally trying to figure out who St Williams was... then kept reading.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

If anybody watches the Tour de France, or knows even a little bit about it, you'll question what the heck is going on in that race / sport....  It's kind of like the old World Wresting Federation in terms of drama.

A couple years ago, during one of the last stages, Andy Schleck was all but tied for 1st place with Alberto Contador as they were climbing a (huge fricken) mountain (for an ungodly amount of time), and about 100 yards from the top of the mountain Andy Schleck dropped a chain by changing gears to a harder gear. 

(Schleck was the fan favorite.  Contador was the enemy.)

Schleck had to stop his bike and wait for assistance in getting the chain back on (for some strange reason he couldn't do it himself... must have been a bad problem).  Contador continued riding up the hill, and then down the mountain (at some ungodly speed).

Schleck lost about 1 minute during this pit stop and Contador ended out taking the Tour lead and ended out winning the Tour (until it was eventually taken from him because he was using some type of performance enhancing drug).

The public and the media were appalled that Contador would continue riding without waiting for Schleck...

I'm not a Contador fan at all, but I couldn't believe the reaction by the announcers, the national / international press, and the other riders.  It seems like a "race" is a "race", and if there's a 1st place award, it seems like the winner would have fewer challenges and more ability.  Turns out, I think, that Schleck ended out winning thanks to the Contador drugs, but the media attention was quite strange related to that 1 minute pit stop.

MTA: http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=tourtalk/postid=483890.html

It's a race... Race.

Life Goals:

Wing

Joggaholic

For some reason I can't stop thinking about NASCAR while reading this thread...

Feeling the growl again

If anybody watches the Tour de France, or knows even a little bit about it, you'll question what the heck is going on in that race / sport....  It's kind of like the old World Wresting Federation in terms of drama.

A couple years ago, during one of the last stages, Andy Schleck was all but tied for 1st place with Alberto Contador as they were climbing a (huge fricken) mountain (for an ungodly amount of time), and about 100 yards from the top of the mountain Andy Schleck dropped a chain by changing gears to a harder gear. 

(Schleck was the fan favorite.  Contador was the enemy.)

Schleck had to stop his bike and wait for assistance in getting the chain back on (for some strange reason he couldn't do it himself... must have been a bad problem).  Contador continued riding up the hill, and then down the mountain (at some ungodly speed).

Schleck lost about 1 minute during this pit stop and Contador ended out taking the Tour lead and ended out winning the Tour (until it was eventually taken from him because he was using some type of performance enhancing drug).

The public and the media were appalled that Contador would continue riding without waiting for Schleck...

I'm not a Contador fan at all, but I couldn't believe the reaction by the announcers, the national / international press, and the other riders.  It seems like a "race" is a "race", and if there's a 1st place award, it seems like the winner would have fewer challenges and more ability.  Turns out, I think, that Schleck ended out winning thanks to the Contador drugs, but the media attention was quite strange related to that 1 minute pit stop.

MTA: http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=tourtalk/postid=483890.html

It's a race... Race.

Cycling is its own beast in some ways....I used to follow it before the PED busts became so regular that they took the fun out of it.

Perhaps some of the reason was that it was a mechanical failure and cycling fans get upset that a race was decided by mechanical failure (although if he shifted badly perhaps he should have known better?).

I recall another incident like that, but different, during a Tour...on a climb...involving Ulrich, I believe.  In that case whoever was in front slowed down and waited.  I forget the circumstances.

Now it's hard to tell if it's due to sportsmanship or what, because in cycling there are cases where it is NOT to your advantage to drop your competition...like if you are working together in a breakaway.  You'll distadvantage yourself to the peleton by going it alone out front.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

yeah tour cycle racing has weird rules of etiquette.  I've read other stuff about what is expected and it is almost a "judged" sport.  You are expected to earn a certain amount of respect before competing for a win.  And mechanical failure and fan interference are 2 cases that there is an expectation of "fair play"

But ....this isn't a tour race. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I recall another incident like that, but different, during a Tour...on a climb...involving Ulrich, I believe.  In that case whoever was in front slowed down and waited.  I forget the circumstances.

Yes, read about that over the past 45 minutes... that was Lance Armstrong in 2001.

Life Goals:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interacting with women can impair men’s cognitive functioning

Yes, read about that over the past 45 minutes... that was Lance Armstrong in 2001.

And Armstrong and Ullrich again in 2003, when Armstrong fell and Ullrich waited.

Generally, cyclists wait for a competitor who's suffered a "mechanical" ... which is conventionally viewed as outside the rider's control.  In the Schleck-Contador incident, the thought at the time was that Schleck's chain jumped when he hit a road imperfection -- i.e., a mechanical.  Making it a more egregious breach, Contador didn't merely keep riding when he saw Schleck's mechanical (it happened right in front of him), he attacked.

In the OP's video, I got the sense the winner threw in her sprint when she realized that one of the two people in front of her was the women's leader, and she had a shot at the victory.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Interacting with women can impair men’s cognitive functioning

they needed a study for that?

along those same lines... they needed a study for this?  I could have told them that!

http://news.yahoo.com/barflies-sex-deprived-male-flies-booze-181335316.html