The Stick - leg soreness AFTER (Read 109 times)

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I am two and half years removed from my last marathon and any significant mileage.   Eight weeks ago I began the journey back with very easy but consistent swimming, cycling and running workouts.

As you can tell by the subject, I have a questions about the stick (former foam roller user).  After using it on my lower legs (quads, gastro soleus) once a day for the past three days I am really sore.   It feels like getting a deep tissue massage, but more painful for hours after……

Is this normal for someone with really tight legs beginning to use it??

Thanks

left-right-left-right-repeat

SMART Approach

Are you really cranking on your muscles?  You should not be sore after using it. Mild pressure is just fine. It is a tool to help in recovery and loosening up muscles. I am a believer in using the roller or stick as a tool. BUT, it should not take the place of stretching, and active warm up with dynamic exercises and an active cooldown. I think sometimes they are overused in place of other things you should be doing.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Thank you for the reminder to stretch.   I was trying to take the easy way.

left-right-left-right-repeat

SMART Approach

My buddy recently spent 20 minutes using the stick before a recent 10k race and he uses it all the time before his runs and after and for golf. He is constantly using it. Anyway, he recently pulled his calf muscle right at the beginning of that 10k race.  He was surprised because he said he worked his calves hard with The Stick before the race. Unfortunately, he forgot to do dynamic warmup movements or do a warm up jog before the race. He thought that The Stick was a warm up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com