Small GPS Watch (Read 151 times)

jeffdonahue

I am looking to get a GPS watch for my son.  He is 12 so I am looking for a recommendation for a smaller watch that will fit a youth wrist.

Here's the deal.  My son really likes white bread, but my wife only keeps wheat in the house.  The day after Thanksgiving he said "I'd run a mile every day if we had white bread in the house."

My wife said "Deal." and he has run a mile every day since then - just over two weeks.  He does XC for his junior high in the Fall, but is mainly a soccer player.  I just thought it would be a good idea for him to get and stay in shape for soccer.

He also loves gadgets and I think would really get a kick out of having a GPS watch, so I'd be looking for one that is not too expensive but would just track his pace and mileage as I hope that he will start to extend a run or two a week beyond just the mile.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

Garmin Forerunner 220.  I asked the resident expert what would be best for someone who simply wanted time, distance, average pace, and splits (with pace) and this was his recommendation.  And he was correct.  I am very happy with it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 which is a basic one too.  I like it because it is smaller.

Good place for information on Garmins, see the differences: dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Garmin Forerunner 220.  I asked the resident expert what would be best for someone who simply wanted time, distance, average pace, and splits (with pace) and this was his recommendation.  And he was correct.  I am very happy with it.

+1

I love mine...simple,, gets the job done.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

GinnyinPA

Another option is the FR15.  It has the basics like the FR10, plus an activity monitor (how many steps per day, etc.) and you can get a HR monitor and footpod (to measure cadence).  It has a longer battery life than the FR10 as well.  DC Rainmaker recommends it highly for beginning runners who don't need to set up intervals or programs on their watches. The size is the same as the FR10 - smaller than most GPS watches.

an amazing likeness

He also loves gadgets and I think would really get a kick out of having a GPS watch, so I'd be looking for one that is not too expensive but would just track his pace and mileage as I hope that he will start to extend a run or two a week beyond just the mile.

When I read this, my thought was that something beyond running GPS might appeal -- like a Garmin Vivofit or one of the other activity trackers.  Might appeal to his young data geek and get to activities beyond running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 which is a basic one too.  I like it because it is smaller.

Good place for information on Garmins, see the differences: dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

DC Rainmaker is great.   Incredibly detailed and informative.

Another vote here for the FR 10 if you want a good, small watch.  The FR 220 is a very good watch too.

I have the Forerunner 310xt, and my sister recently bought the Forerunner 10. I sent her the DC Rainmaker review on the FR10 -- which includes a picture of both of our watches.  My watch looks comically large compared to the FR 10:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in-depth-review-29.jpg

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)

jeffdonahue

Thanks for all the help.  I ended up finding a deal on the FR10 and got that for him.  I think he'll like it.

Glad you were able to decide on something with all the options out there!

For others, I just found this website with some good info on it:

http://www.bestfitnesstrackerreviews.com/comparison-chart.html

Happy Shopping!

Mike

~Mike