Water Station Etiquette? (Read 1427 times)

As complicated as drinking a cup of water seems to be, I'm shocked it's not a class taught in our schools.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

As complicated as drinking a cup of water seems to be, I'm shocked it's not a class taught in our schools.

Yes well.  Go to a race in Europe and experience the Tiny Bag of Water firsthand.

julz24

I normally tuck used water cups into my waste band. After the race I'll find the proper dispensary and dispose of them properly. I just can't imagine throwing garbage on the ground. It seems a bit tacky.

Yes well.  Go to a race in Europe and experience the Tiny Bag of Water firsthand.

At the Rotterdam Marathon they had cups with foam lids that had a "/\" cutout to drink out of and then the foam could be used to wipe the salt from your forhead...seemed way ahead of their time when I ran that in '09.

In 2010 I ran the Oberlichtenauer Sommerlauf (just north of Dresden) and it was sparkling water on the course. <--Not happy about this.

But there was beer + sausages + Germany v. Argentina on at the finish line Smile

laufenem

...and all of this is why I run trail ultras instead of road marathons.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had venison at an aid station in one ultra. Haven't had it in a marathon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I had venison at an aid station in one ultra. Haven't had it in a marathon.

The aid station was close to a rural highway, right?  You should have had the opossum -- it has more electrolytes.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Score was...

1, Car

0, possum

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The aid station was close to a rural highway, right?  You should have had the opossum -- it has more electrolytes.

But chasing down an opossum isn't as much fun as chasing down a deer.

xor

Neither are terribly wily.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Neither are terribly wily.

Yeah but either one is probably 5 time more intelligent than me by halfway through an ultra of any kind any kind of race.

#artbydmcbride

I normally tuck used water cups into my waste band. After the race I'll find the proper dispensary and dispose of them properly. I just can't imagine throwing garbage on the ground. It seems a bit tacky.

Srsly?  I am picturing you with 12 plastic cups stuck in your pants.  Smile   Good for you, maybe you  could attach a trash bag just to use for them, and any gel packages too.

Runners run

xor

You rang?

#artbydmcbride

Oops, I set off the Stevie Ray bat signal by mistook.   Smile

Runners run