Lets be realistic (Read 2364 times)

I look my best blurry!

You can build a bigger engine for yourself with good training.  Just takes a good solid plan, some drive and a little sole!  I'm starting to be a believer!

Wannabe

Your turn Nobby! 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hey, by the way, Purdey, is it Gordon Pirie?  Classic...

Gold Star to Hashizume. 

He was a great runner.  Old school.

Some of his ideas were a little bit "off the wall" - but his results spoke for themselves.

MTA: I love this pic of him.  The track is so churned up that it could pass for a cross country course in some countries!

For the record it is 1953 and he is winning the 3 mile race at White City - breaking Sydney Wooderson's 1946 world record.

Prince of Fatness

You don't think that there are genetic limitations?

Genetic limitations are not the reason that most people cannot run a sub 4 marathon.  I'm willing to bet that most people are capable of building up enough aerobic capacity to do that.  Now, are most people willing  and / or able to put in the work it takes to build the capacity?  Probably not.

I think that what Nobby was saying was that it makes it awful hard to achieve a goal if you don't believe you can do it.  And I agree.  A negative attitude makes it hard to be successful.

Not at it at all. 

HCH

Not necessarily.  Some of us are just fargin' SLOW.  At our very best. 

To say that EVERYONE is capable of a sub-4 marathon with the right training is, I think, not true.

So we have a Holly S. and a Holly M.  I hope this forum is big enough for both of us, girl.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

Marathon Maniac #957

So we have a Holly S. and a Holly M.  I hope this forum is big enough for both of us, girl.

I usually hang over in the Masters group, but sometimes I venture out for a look-see. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

L Train

Genetic limitations are not the reason that most people cannot run a sub 4 marathon.  I'm willing to bet that most people are capable of building up enough aerobic capacity to do that.  Now, are most people willing  and / or able to put in the work it takes to build the capacity?  Probably not.

Mr. Finn actually made some sense here. 

Some of his ideas were a little bit "off the wall"

I don't know 'im but I likes 'im.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Some of his ideas were a little bit "off the wall" - but his results spoke for themselves.

1 - Running with correct technique (even in prepared bare feet), on any surface, is injury
                    free.

2 - Running equals springing through the air, landing elastically on the forefoot with a
                    flexed knee (thus producing quiet feet). On landing, the foot should be directly below the
                    body. (Walking is landing on the heels with a straight leg).

3 - Any and all additions to the body damage running skill.

4 - Quality beats quantity; the speed at which you practice the most will be your best
                    speed.

5 - Walking damages running.

6 - The correct running tempo for human beings is between three and five steps per
                    second.

7 - Arm power is directly proportional to leg power.

8 - Good posture is critical to running. (Don't lean forwards!).

9 - Speed kills endurance; endurance kills speed.

10 - Each individual can only execute one "Program" at any one time; an individual can
                    be identified by his or her idiosyncrasies (i.e. "Program"). An individual can change his
                    or her "Program" only by a determined, educational effort; each individual's "Program"
                    degenerates unless it is controlled constantly.

11 - Static stretching exercises cause injuries!

12 - Running equals being out of breath, so breathing through the mouth is obligatory
                    (hence the nickname "Puff Puff Pirie").

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Marathon Maniac #957

9 - Speed kills endurance; endurance kills speed.

Maybe so.  Maybe if I stopped running marathons I could train better for short distances.  But there has to be a balance somewhere.  CNYRunner runs 65-85mpw, runs great marathons, yet does very well at her short races, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Why is it sideways?

Maybe so.  Maybe if I stopped running marathons I could train better for short distances.  But there has to be a balance somewhere.  CNYRunner runs 65-85mpw, runs great marathons, yet does very well at her short races, too.

To reach your potential in the 5k, you ought to be running 60-100mpw. Most of the "marathon training" that people do actually prepares them better for the 5k distance than the marathon distance.

What was meant by the quote is that it is difficult to train both speed and endurance at the same time. That's why the best training is periodized.

L Train

To reach your potential in the 5k, you ought to be running 60-100mpw. Most of the "marathon training" that people do actually prepares them better for the 5k distance than the marathon distance.

What was meant by the quote is that it is difficult to train both speed and endurance at the same time. That's why the best training is periodized.

I keep reminding myself of this.  Is it also true that people think speed training is what you need for a 5K, when it's really still more endurance training?.  That's on the basis that a 5K is actually a long race in racing terms vs. someone who was training for 800 meters or 1 mile or something. 

L Train

4 - Quality beats quantity; the speed at which you practice the most will be your best
                            speed.

6 - The correct running tempo for human beings is between three and five steps per
                            second.

7 - Arm power is directly proportional to leg power.

These are the ones I find interesting.  #4 seemingly flies in the face of everything I'm trying to learn.  #6 refers to a cadence of up to 300 steps per minute.  I'm around 175 and that's when I'm thinking about it, which isn't that often.  And #7 makes sense and is something I need to work on.

Purdey

Self anointed title

3 per sec = 180

cadence

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus