Cotton Socks (Read 1744 times)

an amazing likeness

Socks = Balgo

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

keeponrunning

31 minutes, exactly. :-)

Seriously, it depends on  how much you're sweating, your shoes, how they fit, etc. In the winter I wear cotton all the time even for very long runs. In the summer, never. 

+1.  You never appreciate cotton til its well below freezing.  Usually anything over about 5C I wear ``athletic`` socks. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Socks = Balgo

Good socks.

Awful site: 

http://www.balegasports.com/

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Zooms with the win.  i swear my my wool socks.  1 blister in about 3 years.

Wool?  I've never tried wool socks for running.  Maybe I'll try wool this November so my feet are more comfortable when I watch you disappear over the horizon again. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've never had any trouble with drinking milk... 

"Milk" -- is that what you kids are calling what you drink now?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ah, the heady days of high-bulk Orlon. We were all into it, too, but then things turned dark.  First, it was just a couple guys hosting high-bulk Orlon parties when their folks were out.  Then Goretex.  Then we had to have polypropylene tights when those came out.  Pretty soon, we needed bigger and bigger synthetics for our rush.  Vicious cycle, man.  I realized how bad it was when I saw a picture of myself in Union Jack shorts.

Not often I get to talk about socks, but I really like Powersox.  The cheap, "4 pairs for $9.99 at Dick's" kind with the blue toe.  They never bunch, and they wear like iron.  I won a pair of their foot-specific (no, I mean left- and right-specific!) socks this winter, and they have to be the best socks I've ever run in.  Perfect size for me (no bunching, but not tight or short) and they don't move at all.  They've become my go-to socks, something I used to think didn't exist.

My life isn't very exciting.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

My life isn't very exciting.

Clive, your unexciting life had me laughing my head off.

joescott

Have to agree with most of the sentiment.  If cotton works for you then it's all good.  Personally I never run in cotton socks anymore.  Thin, "technical" running socks in the summer.  Smartwool on the colder days in the winter.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Here in the Upstate of South Carolina (more heat issues than cold), I run with the running socks from Walmart or Target.  Much cheaper than the fancy blends that Runner's World is always reviewing.

I think it depends on your feet.  I haven't had blister issues in years (in the early lower mileage - first long run days).  But yes, I don't run in the plain cotton anymore.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

smartwools or swiftwicks.  both rock!!!  no cotton.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

This thread totally jinxed me.  I read it two days thinking my old cotton socks are fine.  After yesterday, a huge blister poked its' way out of the side of my big toe. 

The problem is, I hate to spend money, so whats the best running sock at the cheapest price?  Anyone use Ebay? 

This thread totally jinxed me.  I read it two days thinking my old cotton socks are fine.  After yesterday, a huge blister poked its' way out of the side of my big toe. 

The problem is, I hate to spend money, so whats the best running sock at the cheapest price?  Anyone use Ebay? 

Don't worry about a little damage and scarring to your feet. It builds character. 

Running socks last a long time (except Balega, for some reason I poke a hole thru them in a couple of months), the price is justified in my opinion

I highly recommend the Powersox Power-Lites.  Available in no-show and low-cut.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I wear cheapo cotton socks most of the time, until they wear holes through.  This takes years. Now that I'm sweating buckets I do reach for synthetics on those days as I do have a few pair.  I have "running" socks too, but just a few pairs and save those for races.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills