Asics versus Saucony... GO! (Read 12341 times)

she runs like a girl

I have always run in Asics but lately I have found that I have just not been getting my money's worth.

I am thinking about trying a new brand and I have Saucony in mind.

Which one is better for you any why?

Has anyone here already made the switch from Asics?

Is there a Saucony shoe that is similar to the Nimbus line of Asics?

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

I have always run in Asics but lately I have found that I have just not been getting my money's worth.

I am thinking about trying a new brand and I have Saucony in mind.

Which one is better for you any why?

Has anyone here already made the switch from Asics?

Is there a Saucony shoe that is similar to the Nimbus line of Asics?

You shouldn't go by ("buy"?) brand; you should go by shoes.  I've always been an ASICS guy but, more accurately, I'm a HyperSpeed/Piranha guy (now they've brought a few Japanese shoes, I'd be a Tarther guy for sure).  What fits and works for you would fit and work for you. 

I'm a HyperSpeed/Piranha guy 

+1

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

she runs like a girl

You shouldn't go by ("buy"?) brand; you should go by shoes. 

Agreed.

I have always worn Asics because they worked for me. Now, not so much.

I'm looking at Saucony because they are relatively cheap compared to Asics and I know a lot of people who have really enjoyed them, and not too many people who have not.

But maybe this forum topic will change my perspective?

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

You shouldn't go by ("buy"?) brand; you should go by shoes.  I've always been an ASICS guy but, more accurately, I'm a HyperSpeed/Piranha guy (now they've brought a few Japanese shoes, I'd be a Tarther guy for sure).  What fits and works for you would fit and work for you. 

I agree.  I have gone through shoes from Brooks, Saucony, Adidas, New Balance, Mizuno in the last two years (I apparently am a shoe whore).  For me, at least, the manufacturer is about as relevant as the lace color (although I really like the "beaded" style of the NB 1063 laces).  I liked the Saucony triumph 6 alot, however, at the moment I am convinced the Brooks Launch is the best shoe out there for me.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

xor

This is a tangent (rant) about Mizuno.

I was a Mizuno guy for years... all my shoes were mizunos.  Then I was given a couple pairs of another brand and I noticed that, wow, I really *can* get more than 300 miles out of a pair of shoes.  Not Mizunos, though.  No matter the model, those last me about 300 miles.  The other brand?  500-600.

I kept wearing Mizuno Alchemys for races because I know they work for me and I don't want to get into trouble during a really long race.

But the latest Alchemy doesn't work very well for me.  In fact, if I wear them for longer than 10 miles, they make the balls of my feet and my knees hurt for a couple days.  I don't know what they did to the shoe, but my body hates it.

So, short lasting shoes that hurt me.  After 8ish years and 200+ marathons, goodbye Mizuno.

I'm a Brooks guy now.  Adrenalines and Trance.  I'm theoretically not heavy enough to wear Trance, but I am ridiculously hard on shoes and Trance lasts me a long time. Which is nice because they ain't cheap.  Every now and then I'll get a stability shoe from a different brand... I have a pair of NB some-random-number and I've tried Locos recently... but I go back to Brooks.  They work for me.  Plus they are the local company :-) (yes, I know the shoes are made elsewhere)

Imminent Catastrophe

I was a Mizuno guy for years... all my shoes were mizunos.  Then I was given a couple pairs of another brand and I noticed that, wow, I really *can* get more than 300 miles out of a pair of shoes.  Not Mizunos, though.  No matter the model, those last me about 300 miles.  The other brand?  500-600.

Barefoot running would solve all your problems

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I like shoes.  Shoo.

she runs like a girl

For me, at least, the manufacture is about as relevant as the lace color

I have never considered this.

I have tried Adidas, Nike, New Balance and Brooks, but I had always liked Asics.

And like srlopez, I like the shoes that I am technically "not leavy" enough to wear (I like Asics Nimus line but I'm less than 110 lbs)

I found that Brooks shoes made me feel like I was running in high heels, New Balance were too narrow, Asics and Adidas didn't offer enough support and Me, I'm just too darn picky!

I have heard good things about the  Saucony Triumph.

Any other good shoes I may want to try on?

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I have never considered this.

I have tried Adidas, Nike, New Balance and Brooks, but I had always liked Asics.

And like srlopez, I like the shoes that I am technically "not leavy" enough to wear (I like Asics Nimus line but I'm less than 110 lbs)

I found that Brooks shoes made me feel like I was running in high heels, New Balance were too narrow, Asics and Adidas didn't offer enough support and Me, I'm just too darn picky!

I have heard good things about the  Saucony Triumph.

Any other good shoes I may want to try on?

I like the Mizuno Inspires. I also have the alchemy's and they aren't my fav's...but the inspires seem to have support but are still flexible.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

xor

Plus "inspire" is a good shoe name.  You are inspired to run.  Whereas I've never quite understood "alchemy" as a name for a shoe.  We are making gold?

Which brings me back to my favorite shoe name joke.  There is a brand called Somnio.

I tried to run in somnios, but they made my feet fall asleep.  (bomp)

Ok then.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Zzzzzzzzzz...............

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

I have worn Asics, Saucony, Nike, Adidas, Brooks and New Balance and probably a few others too.  I'm sure at one point I switched directly from some pair of Asics to some pair of Sauconys (and vice versa.)

I currently have 2 pair of Asics and no Sauconys in my active arsenal for what that's worth.  My general impression of Asics vs. Saucony is that Sauconys break down faster.

At any rate, like Nobby said, I generally shop for a shoe not a brand.

Runners run

bhearn

"Shop for a shoe, not a brand" sounds reasonable, but there are some consistencies within brands. Personally I like the Saucony fit. I'm almost guaranteed that anything Saucony I try on will just feel right.

For trainers, I've used Saucony Trigon Ride 1 - 5, then Saucony Ride (reboot), now Ride 2. Somewhere in there I tried some Mizunos for variety -- quickly gave up on that idea. Also I had one pair of Asics, a basic neutral trainer, I don't remember the model. Not the Nimbus. Anyway that wasn't so great for me, so again I went back to Saucony.

For racing flats, I've used Saucony Fastwitch 2, Asics Gel Magic Racer, Saucony Type A2, and now Saucony Type A3. I definitely prefer the Sauconys to the Magic Racer. I tried on the Asic Hyperspeed at one point, just about bought them, but went with the A2 instead. I love the A2 / A3.

I use Asics and have over 1300 km on my current pair.  They are just starting to break down now and I am replacing them with Asics again, once my running store gets a pair of size 13's delivered.  But you really need to go wtih what fits best, it doesn't matter what brand it is.