Powerbreathe anyone? (Read 1075 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This actually reminds me of something I once used to improve my breath control and lung capacity for playing trombone called an incentive spirometer. As you can see, there's a little ball in there, and a dial on the front. When you exhale into the thing,you push the ball to the top. Flip it upside down, you inhale to pull/suck the ball to the top. Turning the dial creates another opening which makes the whole thing harder to do (air goes in/out the dial hole instead of to the ball, so you have to work harder to move it). MTA: I'm reminded of a famous Bart Simpson quote: "I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows." So the idea is to use this thing daily, trying to push/pull the ball for as long as possible, while making it progressively more difficult by changing the dial setting. Use of this is supposed to increase lung capacity and the ability to take a larger breath (breath control being supremely important for a wind instrument player). I always felt like using one really helped my playing; no I'm wondering if I should dig it out and try using it to help my running.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jeffdonahue

The ones that i saw were I think a little bit smaller and you were actually supposed to run while you wore it.
      evtish

Need to get one of those for the wife.. Evil grin
          They are not beneficial to us as runners. They really are not beneficial to anybody. Except maybe folks recovering from pneumonia or a collapsed lung.
          Ditto to that. It looks very similar to the incentive spirometers we use for our recovering patients. We also use them for people with COPD but if you are healthy, don't waste your money. You don't need it. MTA: A straw will do the same thing and probably costs a lot less.
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          JakeKnight

MTA: I'm reminded of a famous Bart Simpson quote: "I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
            I find myself vaguely disappointed that this post contains no references to Scout's mom. Maybe it was just too easy. Like Scout's mom.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I find myself vaguely disappointed that this post contains no references to Scout's mom. Maybe it was just too easy. Like Scout's mom.
              Exactly. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jomike

So, after a couple months of working out with this gizmo, you'd strengthen your diaphragm to the point that you could hyperventilate in, like, thirty seconds flat?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. This is just an incentive spirometer. Like Scout's Mom.

Slow-smooth-fast

despite all the comments I got one, must have money to throw away. will keep you posted.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The ones that i saw were I think a little bit smaller and you were actually supposed to run while you wore it.
                      As if running with a Garmin, iPod, spandex tights, neon blue shoes, and Amphipod belt didn't already make me look like a major dork. I MUST have one of these devices to complete the ensemble! Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Into the wild

As if running with a Garmin, iPod, spandex tights, neon blue shoes, and Amphipod belt didn't already make me look like a major dork. I MUST have one of these devices to complete the ensemble! Roll eyes
                        If you look anything like my favourite Borg, Seven of Nine, with all those cybernetic implants.... Tongue M.T.A. Tag stuff

Shut up and run

http://www.powerworkshop.org/strength.html
                          ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Bumping a 13-year-old thread! So, has anyone tried using the PowerBreathe and/or inspiratory muscle training to improve their fast-running capability? An article came out this year which made me consider it. (I already run plenty of mileage but my speed tolerance could use help.)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-06-minute-workout-lowers-blood-pressure.html

I'm wondering if its use might reduce perceived effort when running fast, because I'd be teaching myself to suck wind, literally.