Holy Cow ! (Read 228 times)

JustLikeJF

Went bowling last night......................................I thought I was in shape..........................Hah !

Haven't missed a workout in 2 years but when I woke up this morning my whole body was sore. I guess it turns out bowling is the gauge for whether you're really in shape or not (laughs).

Haven't been bowling in 20 years, it's where I met my wife so I was checking out a venue for cheap date nights for us. When I woke up this morning I thought I was going to have to skip the run today. I made it but it was a bit of a struggle. Was my old self again though about 3/4's of the way through my run.........................................I love running! Still sore a little now though.

It's amazing what will make you suddenly realize you're not as fit as you thought. Last week I spent about 20 minutes pushing my 28lb toddler in one of those big basket-type swings ("higher mama! higher mama! MAMAAAAAA HIIIIIGGGGHHERRRRRR!!!!!") and my abs were sore the next day!

It's amazing what will make you suddenly realize you're not as fit as you thought. Last week I spent about 20 minutes pushing my 28lb toddler in one of those big basket-type swings ("higher mama! higher mama! MAMAAAAAA HIIIIIGGGGHHERRRRRR!!!!!") and my abs were sore the next day!

I know exactly what both of you mean. I love running and I am also a martial arts instructor. I work out seven days a week and train HARD. NO ONE considers me to be weak. I spent the weekend at a testing where we made all of our black belt canidates fight me FULL CONTACT for one minute. Of course I go easy on them because the experience is to teach them what it is like to defend yourself against a live opponent. Trust me, it is nothing like hitting a punching bag. I of course come home beat and bruised. But... What is crazier is that it is easy compared to going grocery shopping with my wife. LOL!!! Big grin That is enough to leave me sore for days...

since we're sharing stories... I'm currently putting in tile in a large room in our house. After the first day of standing up/down hundreds of times, and down on my knees in between, for 6 to 8 hours straight, trying to run the next day or the day after was a real struggle.  My legs just would not go.

It makes me realize how bad it is for us to have jobs that involve sitting all day long.

nolamama

CQTM

My husband and I hand tilled our yard to lay new sod down...oh.my.god...we could not move the next day. I had to roll out of bed to get up. Sitting all day definitely does not help! I will also be renting a tiller next time we decide to do that.

I moved house at the end of June.  We had some guys come to move the furniture, and the plan was for my father in law and I to move all our other stuff, while my wife took care of the kids.  I hired a small van to move it all - boxes of books, clothes, furnishings etc.

As the day got closer I realised I needed a much bigger van.  And then father in law developed a hernia.  So I ended up working from 7AM until 6PM loading, transporting and unloading 90 large boxes.  Because I'm an idiot I ran 10 miles in the morning and then grabbed a banana, which was all I ate all day.  By 6PM I felt like I was dying.  I ate a massive dinner, collapsed onto a mattress and woke up feeling sore all over.  Time to unpack, rip out all the carpets and start setting up the furniture.  That was a tough, tough week but I suspect that surviving it was a useful addition to my marathon training schedule.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Imagine how you'd all feel if you were couch potatoes instead of runners.

And to believe that every time I recommend the idea of working out to a couch potatoe, I get told "I don't need to work out. I get all the exercise I need at work" or "I don't have the energy to work out". I wish everyone could understand how much energy your body has, once the habit is formed. Even if those couch potatoes would go for a walk, it would make a world of difference.

JustLikeJF

Good point.

2 days after was even worse. I've noticed that the older I get the longer it takes to feel the full brunt of the soreness, still did my run though. End of the day and the soreness was pretty much gone, kind of suddenly to. I'm guessing that's because I am in shape.

A Saucy Wench

steam cleaning carpets.  I actually missed a half marathon once because I steam cleaned the carpets in 2 houses (the one we just moved into and the one we were selling) in the day before.  about 8 hours of steam cleaning.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

"In shape" only applies to whatever you regularly work.  Running is great in keeping you from sucking wind in most other activities.  But there are a lot of muscles running does not condition and if you over-use them you will pay for it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"In shape" only applies to whatever you regularly work.  Running is great in keeping you from sucking wind in most other activities.  But there are a lot of muscles running does not condition and if you over-use them you will pay for it.

Indeed, but surely cardio fitness counts for something.

--- I am not sure what part of bowling takes more energy.   The Preparation of the wardrobe, the fist pumps and gyrations with each strike, or the act of actually bowling itself...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Not dead. Yet.

--- I am not sure what part of bowling takes more energy.   The Preparation of the wardrobe, the fist pumps and gyrations with each strike, or the act of actually bowling itself...

Ahh...true.  Makes me think of this:

Causes muscle soreness

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?