Running Lingo - help me out here...... (Read 365 times)

I am not new to running, I am just new to organized running and really thinking about this thing ya'll call "training".....

I enter my runs and am familiar with most of the terms, however, what exactly do "interval" and "tempo" runs imply?  Confused

tamma-run

Tammarin.....

zonykel

I think Jack Daniels' "Daniels Running Formula" explains all the different training terms. There may be a link somewhere that explains the definitions, though.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

intervals are usually some small (200m thru 2mil) set distance that you would do several times in a workout.  So for example: 4x400m -- you would run 400m, then typically rest for 60-90sec, then run 400m again.

tempo runs don't include any stopping.  So, imagine a longish run where you speed up in the middle.  So, jog for 2miles, then run 4miles pretty quickly, but not race pace, then jog for 2miles ago.

for extra credit:

fartlek is where you do something similar to tempo runs, but it is typically not planned.  You do something like jog 2miles, then do 400m at 5k pace, then 1mil at marathon pace (MP), then 400m at 5k pace, then 1/2 mile at HMP, etc.  Sometimes it's just jog, and when you see a stop-sign run-fast until you pass it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

hmmm... thanx to all.  gives me something to go on/place to start.  I think I do some of these things, just didn't know it Smile

zonykel - thanx - very good link!  good explanations and like I said - done some of this (maybe with a twist) already

BoilerTom90 - 2nd ed book looks interesting.  added it to my list!  glad it didn't involve whiskey ......

stadjak - thanks for the instant gratification.  I had a vague idea but you helped.

Tammarin.....

DoppleBock

Interval - Can be an interval or distance or an interval of time run at a specific pace ... it does not mean any specific pace ... but is usually used in conjunction with a faster pace than "Easy" pace.  Ex)  Run 4x1200 meters at 5 mile pace with 400 meters easy bewteen each faster interval.  Both the 1200 and the 400 is an interval of distance.  or Run 4x4 minutes at 5 mile pace with 2 minutes easy between each interval ... again both the faster running and slower running is an interval of time.  You also can have a workout that has all kinds of intervals ... like a ladder workout.  200-400-800-1200-1600 meters (The distance is the itnerval) at different paces.

Tempo - Just 1 continous run faster than easy running.  Often people will use terminology of 4 miles @ T.   THis gives the impression that T (Tempo) is a specific pace.  But reality it is a 4 mile tempo at LAT (Lactic Acid Threshhold) would be more correct.  The 4 miles is the distance of the Tempo the LAT = pace that one is running.  You could have a 12 mile tempo at marathon pace.

Fartlek - Different than a ladder interval workout, a true fartlek is not pre-determined.  Fartlek means "speed play"  In group running we will pick a spot up the road or play color of car fartlek - Run faster until the next red car.  This usually ends up many different (unplanned) intervals of distance at many different paces.

I am not new to running, I am just new to organized running and really thinking about this thing ya'll call "training".....

I enter my runs and am familiar with most of the terms, however, what exactly do "interval" and "tempo" runs imply?  Confused

tamma-run

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Just to confuse matters, different authors mean different things by "tempo". E.g. In the Hansons marathon plan, they are run at marathon pace.

The Thunder

"Training" and "workouts"....dang.  Ya'll are blowing my mind here.

Wait...leakage!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

"Training" and "workouts"....dang.  Ya'll are blowing my mind here.

Wait...leakage!

hahahahaha!  I know... I don't want it to be scary or confusing!  Shocked  but I don't want to suck either!

Tammarin.....

an amazing likeness

Good questions Olive420 -- there's a sticky topic at the top of Running 101 (up there ^^^^) called Running FAQs which has some good links to past posts and may give you references.

(Most of all, it will show that there's a heck of a lot less precision to the terms than it may seem.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mr MattM

To further confuse the terms, you don't technically run 'intervals'.  You run 'repeats' and the 'intervals' are the recovery period between repeats.  Shocked

be curious; not judgmental

To further confuse the terms, you don't technically run 'intervals'.  You run 'repeats' and the 'intervals' are the recovery period between repeats.  Shocked

Oh good grief!  ok, so I will take from all of this what makes sense and what I still find confusing, I will either further research or toss out.  I do weird shit too, like stop in the middle of a trail and do jumping jacks, or turn around and run backwards.  or just bust a move if I am feeling particularly funky.  I just love to run.  thanx for all the input.  ya'll are awesome!  Big grin

Tammarin.....

zonykel

I'm unfamiliar with that distinction. I suppose it depends on the coach/author. The discussion is esoteric enough as is.

dennrunner

Yes, interval originally referred to the recovery period. Few people know this and basically no one uses it this way these days.

Mr MattM

Yes, interval originally referred to the recovery period. Few people know this and basically no one uses it this way these days.

To go even one step deeper, an 'interval workout' focuses on the interval (recovery) portion as the limiting factor, whereas a 'repeat workout' focuses on the repeat portion as the limiting factor.  For instance, if I run 10x800m repeats with 72sec recovery intervals, the recovery is the limiter so the pace of the 800s is dictated by the recovery.  If you limit the interval, the repeats are obviously more difficult.  If I run 10x800m @6:00 pace with 400m recovery intervals, the limiter is the pace of the repeat and the recovery can be as slow as necessary to hit the next repeat pace.

So, they are very different workouts.  Are we running a repeat workout, or an interval workout?  Regardless, the running portion is the repeat and the recovery portion is the interval.  And, in fact, many people know this...

be curious; not judgmental