Motivational Running Quotes - What's your favourite (Read 397 times)

Believe

"It hurts to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  - Ann Trason

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

“Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory." - Mahatma Gandhi

To survive, the slowest Gazelle must be quicker than the fastest lion.  Did you wake up a gazelle or a lion today?

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

"Leave no doubt."

I also quietly pull on a Livestrong band, to remind me of the family members who've endured far worse than the 18-20 minutes of "pain" my 5k is about to bring.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

How to get in shape:

Not belief, but the impulse to believe.

Not our precious and polished knick knacks of thought, cluttering the house of the mind. Not the desire to be happier, faster, fitter. Instead -- the gut that yanks us out, over and against the plans of our better selves.

Not the goals that we have, not the PRs we've run, but the thrill in the neck, the ache in the hamstrings, the sideways glance to hold him off, or to die.

Not the workout on paper, not the feeling of completion. Not the endless entries in the training log. The sand in your shoulders at the end of a race. Not the setting of the alarm clock, not the morning coffee. The weak winter sunrise, the breath in the air, the wet and frozen dew.

Not the training philosophies, not the books and coaches and blogs and message board bull. Not the miles per week, not the workouts. The grind, the fire, the slump, the legs that won't go.

Not the things you tell your friends and your family. Not the things you tell yourself. The things you can't say, the things that can't be said. The things you don't even know you could say. Not the shoes, not the clothes, not the body, not the mind. The beast, the bird, the antelope.

Not the selves we know, not the people we are. The bones, the grit, the dread, the relief.

Not religion, not argument, not logic, not truth. Acid, ache, stomach, heart.

Not belief, but the impulse to believe.

Likely Jeff's best post, atleast among the ones I understood.

HuntsBennett

HuntsBennett(UK)

I also quietly pull on a Livestrong band, to remind me of the family members who've endured far worse than the 18-20 minutes of "pain" my 5k is about to bring.

I wear a Help for Heroes band which supports the British Military, I served 23 years myself and consider myself lucky.

In the UK we have an event called  Race for Life which is a ladies only race over 5km in aid of breast cancer. it is quite humbling to see young people with multiple names on their running badge of relatives that have passed.

Nothing comes without hard work or effort

I stick to Confucius.  He even covered the subject of running with his wisdom.    I imagine most have seen this quote before, but if not:

Confucius Says:  "Man who run in front of car, get tired."  "Man who run behind car, get exhausted".

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hoban-Jay

To survive, the slowest Gazelle must be quicker than the fastest lion.  Did you wake up a gazelle or a lion today?

So, as long as I remain the second slowest gazelle, I'm safe!?  I better pick up the pace a bit...

delicate flower

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering bastard."

-Bill

<3

Not the things you tell your friends and your family. Not the things you tell yourself. The things you can't say, the things that can't be said.

Timely.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

I always liked

"If you feel like Crap, run faster.  You won't feel any better, but at least you'll be done sooner."

and this quote for the other/faster Jeff from back in 2008.  I saved the link to that thread to re-read it every once in a while.

"The long run puts the tiger in the cat, but if the cat's not strong enough the tiger just eats the cat and shits out a dead runner."

HuntsBennett

HuntsBennett(UK)

I did see on the back of a T-Shirt during a Tough Mudder event "Hurdle the weak, trample the dead" I only hoped that he had hurdled me and that I am not 'living' under some massive mis-conception

Jon the Freshman

My favorites are generally the proverbs from other cultures,

'Fall down seven times get up eight.'- Japanese proverb

'He that runs on the earth and with the Earth, runs forever'- Tarahumara Proverb

and Also

'I do not intend to tiptoe though life only to arrive at death safe and well preserved.'

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I did see on the back of a T-Shirt during a Tough Mudder event "Hurdle the weak, trample the dead" I only hoped that he had hurdled me and that I am not 'living' under some massive mis-conception

I see that shirt at every expo, and every time my hand hovers over my wallet to buy it.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people