Loving biking! (Read 329 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

3:02:08...had I known I was SO close to sub-3 I would have pushed it a bit harder on even just one leg.  Had I not dropped my chain 9 miles in on the bike leg I would have been even closer!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Zoomy!  That's a nice medal!  Sounds like you've got even faster Du's in your future.  Don't break anything! (except records)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congratulations Zoomy!  That's a nice medal!  Sounds like you've got even faster Du's in your future.  Don't break anything! (except records)

Thanks!  Next year a sub-3 should be a piece-of-cake.  I'd be happy to take 2nd in my AG fair-and-square, too.  I feel bad for the racers who got late starts (not chipped starts, either) due to miscommunication.  There were at least 3 that I am aware of.  2 40 year old chicks and a 38 year old who started maybe 2-3 minutes late and did her best to make up for it...she was really struggling by about 3 miles from the finish.  I saw her on an out-and-back portion and she was hurting.

~ Sarah Kay

Village people

Congratulations, that is fantastic!

Awesome job, Zoomy!  That's a race I was eyeing earlier in the year.  But, no Michigan trip for me this summer.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome job, Zoomy!  That's a race I was eyeing earlier in the year.  But, no Michigan trip for me this summer.

Cheers,

Thanks, everyone!  Brian, I think you should definitely make 2014 happen!!

You know, in the weeks before the race I was of the mind that I'd not do this one again...because I'd had to miss out on some really fun events that conflicted with training and/or taper -- like a century ride that a bunch of friends did on the 4th.

In hindsight I think this could potentially be my annual big goal race.  I had a FAR better experience than I could have imagined on less-than-ideal training over the past 6 months.  I'm really looking forward to what I could do if I'm not training around a bum wrist (which has really limited my bike mileage more than I would have liked) and 2 out-of-town events that caused 3 day lapses in training only about 10 days apart from one-another -- when my training should have been peaking.

Had that woman who took 2nd started on-time she probably would have beat me by about 14-15 minutes.  Next year I really want to beat her fair-and-square.

~ Sarah Kay

Just B.S.

I feel the same way! I finally bought a bike that fits me, and it's made a huge difference. Best part is that I can see how beneficial all the cycling miles are for my running. My runs are stronger and feel easier, and my knees haven't hurt either!

People are starting to get the right idea.Wink

CMJHawk86

Add me to the list of believers in the bike. I'm in offseason mode from running right now and logging lot of bike miles. Even when I start up a new marathon training program in a few weeks I will continue to bike on the crosstraining days.

Jan26.2

Congrats Zoom!! I'm contemplating doing my first du in Sept., but it's much shorter than yours. 1 mi. run - 13 mi. ride - 3 mi. run.

I've been running for nearly 20 years, but am pretty new to cycling and very new to duathlons. Anyone have suggestions for training plans? I've found a couple online, but since I'm so new to this I have no idea whether or not they're any good.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gale Bernhardt has a really good book of training plans for multi-sport athletes, including a couple of du plans.  It's on Amazon.  I also cobbled-together a plan based upon Coach Troy's Iron Girl training plan.  Essentially I added more mileage to what he has.  I rarely do brick workouts that have a run before a bike leg or do run-bike-run.  The hardest transition for me (and, I suspect, most people) is going from bike to run -- that jello quads feeling really takes practice to minimize.  I really found that doing a reasonably long bike ride followed immediately by a sort of mid-length run did a lot to make me really strong and ready for race day.  Doing some brick workouts that take about as long as your race will take is great for your endurance.  I was doing 2 hour bike rides followed by 1 hour runs.  My race took about 3 hours, so my body was ready to work for that amount of time, simply at a harder effort on race day.

So if you're thinking your race might take 90 minutes you could bike for an hour and immediately run for a half hour...or something to that effect.  Other than that, having a good base in both disciplines is about all you really need to do to have a good race experience.

~ Sarah Kay

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I wish I could like biking - I really do.  I tried to get into it last year while I was recovering from a running injury, and actually had a decent time doing my first sprint tri in the fall.

Still, I just don't like the bike like others seem to, and am not willing to sacrifice runs for it at this point.  My goal had actually been to make this the year to do an Ironman, but that's going to get pushed back for some time.  As long as I can keep making headway towards a 2:45 marathon, I'm hooked on the running.

That being said, I'll probably be the guy hobbling around with an injury and you all will be cruising along, healthy as can be.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Village people

Thanks, zoom-zoom. I ordered that book.

Jan26.2

Thanks Zoom! I'm ordering it too.

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope you like it!  It's pretty thorough, but easy to customize.

~ Sarah Kay

Rusk Runner

Latecomer to the conversation here, my apologies.

I recently took up cycling while nursing an injured soleus.  I love it.  I have no plans to give up running, but I will not be giving up cycling either.

While in a discount book store I picked up a copy of Gale Bernhardts book "Training Plans for Multisport athletes" and I agree with zoom-zoom, it is chock full of programs.  The programs require some digging in the book to interpret the different workouts, but she obviously put alot of experience and work into everything.  A great deal for me at $3.00.   I have my 2014 spring and early summer goals set for an ultramarathon, and a 156 bike ride (RAIN).  After that, I plan to use one of her greater than 50 week programs to prep for an Ironman.  An extended plan like that should really help a multisport athlete keep fit and on schedule.  I havent gone over the duathalon programs she put in the book yet, but I should.  I am currently rebuilding my base by prepping for a half marathon, and I need to work cycling into my schedule in a way that I can recover from my runs and still improve at cyling.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!