Running in the rain (Read 846 times)

sjnathan

I just got back from my long run (3hrs) and there was a fantastic storm - a son e lumiere (sp?) show just for me with big forks of lightning and thunder....I had such a great time and I am sure the electricity in the air was like an extra gel shot for me. It didn't start pouring till the last half hour and I was laughing all the way home. Have fun running in the rain (be careful going down hills - I walk down in rain) and know there's a nice hot tea and warm shower waiting afterwards!
      I had a fun rainy run today too. I don't do anything special except avoid trails that are too muddy.

Jeremy

Mr R

It really depends on the temperature and how long you're going. 20 milers can be pretty miserable in the rain. I usually prefer to go shirtless if it's warm enough. I also don't wear splits in the rain, because they have a tendency to turn into bun-huggers. If it's cold, then a waterproof jacket is a necessity. I had about two weeks of consecutive hard rain in December, with temps in the low 40s. If you get wet in those temps, there's just no way to stay warm. No need for Gore-Tex, or similar pricey fabrics. Just get a non-breathable shell. Also, don't forget the original (and still the best) tech fabric: wool. Pick up an old wool sweater from a thrift shop. It's the best cold weather running top you'll ever find.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker