Trying to ONLY run 26.2 miles in a marathon (Read 2206 times)

JayMF

I understand the sphere of probably location pretty well, still appreciate your explanation. I have to challenge your description of every track point being off from the actual location by the sphere of probable location distance -- that's not correct. That is the maximum it will be off from the actual point when the sample is taken.
    The 14ft wouldn't be a maximum bound on the error. It's a probable bound on the error. I have no idea what the probability that the error is within the quoted accuracy, but I'm sure it's less than 100%. You're right that it will be less than that number most of the time. If you're interested in GPS accuracy statistics, check out the following link for an expert discussion of how these things are computed. It is technical, so be forwarned: http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=395779

Feeling the growl again

The 14ft wouldn't be a maximum bound on the error. It's a probable bound on the error. I have no idea what the probability that the error is within the quoted accuracy, but I'm sure it's less than 100%. You're right that it will be less than that number most of the time. If you're interested in GPS accuracy statistics, check out the following link for an expert discussion of how these things are computed. It is technical, so be forwarned: http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=395779
      You are correct of course, I was just trying to simplify it enough to get the point across that even the relatively small errors inherent in GPS compound into a very meaningful distance error over a race as long as a marathon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Big grin I think this situation absolutely requires... a really futile and stupid gesture... and We're just the guys to do it. TO THE IPOD THREAD .... GO! GO! GO! Big grin

Why is it sideways?

WRONG. YOUGOTTHATRIGHT!!!!!

an amazing likeness

Nothing's over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no! -Germans? -Forget it, he's rolling.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wow.

Runners run

Yeah the best solution is to just not race with your Garmin. I don't get that...too much (possibly incorrect) info. Just race.
                Race without my Garmin? It is too late for that, I am already addicted. You will have to pry the watch out of my cold dead hand (or cold dead wrist). Plus, I am pretty sure my body has built up an imbalance while running with the massive 305 strapped to my left wrist everyday. If I take it off, you may see running with a slight lean to the right. Wink

Ryan

milkbaby

Personally, I'm MUCH more interested in trying to run only 2 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds (or less) in a marathon than trying to run only 26.2 miles... Besides, running 26.2 miles means you will be short of the finish line because the official distance is 42.195 kilometers which is actually a little under 26.22 miles but more than 26.2 miles... If you only run 26.2 you probably DNF'd!
                  "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                    How spoiled are we? We're wearing a watch which decodes signals transmitted from a satellite orbiting our planet in space and we're mad that it's off by a little.
                    2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

...---...

Nothing's over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no! -Germans? -Forget it, he's rolling.
                      FOOD FIGHT!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

FOOD FIGHT!
                        I think you mean 'Toga Party' Food fight was earlier in the movie
                        xor

My favorite bit in that movie was when Chevy hit the ball into the crow's beak in Haiti.

...---...

I think you mean 'Toga Party' Food fight was earlier in the movie
                            Toga! Toga! Toga! A RunningAhead adaptation excerpt from the film: Dean Wormer: Who is the worst group on this site? Greg: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way. Dean Wormer: Cut the horseshit, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode. Greg: You're talking about Delta, sir. Dean Vernon Wormer: Of course I'm talking about Delta, you TWERP!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

My favorite bit in that movie was when Chevy hit the ball into the crow's beak in Haiti.
                              Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...what?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Lazy idiot

By Delta, you mean the Swamp, right?

Tick tock