RSS Feed (Read 1011 times)

gimme some sugar, baby

I think it would be cool to have an RSS feed feature where you can send a feed of your week's runs in RSS. Although I don't know much about the bandwidth available on this server...
    George: Runner/Law Student
    www.gimme-five.com
    eric :)

The bandwidth will not be a problem since the site is not even using a fraction of my daily allotted bandwidth. Could you talk a little more about what you want to do with the RSS feed because I'm a little unclear. It did give me an idea for exporting the data though, and maybe this is what you are asking for... it would be nice to be able to export your data as an RSS feed instead of having to manually download it every so often.

gimme some sugar, baby

I was thinking like the concept where CNN or another news site provides a feed of articles and any other website can include like the last ten articles and when a viewer clicks on one it will bring up the page with the article on it. This could be done for runs, where for each user an RSS feed could be created where the last ten runs are "broadcasted" and then people can include them on a website or view them from an RSS syndicator program. I don't know too much about RSS feeds right now, or how to create them, but I know there are a lot of links out there on web design sites that show you how to create one. I think that would work well for exporting too... you could just add a link to an "RSS export page" where the data is listed in plain text or in a spreadsheet from the RSS feed and someone could download it. It sounds tricky, but it could be a cool feature.
        www.gimme-five.com
        eric :)

Ah, I got it. That's a pretty good idea. If I have a daily blog, it would be nice to display the day's run entry, or my PR/PBs as my signature to forum posts. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions along these lines?

gimme some sugar, baby

Yes! Exactly! I think that would be pretty cool!
            www.gimme-five.com
            Erunama

Ah, I got it. That's a pretty good idea. If I have a daily blog, it would be nice to display the day's run entry, or my PR/PBs as my signature to forum posts. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions along these lines?
              I like the idea. My blog's sidebar is screaming for some cool stuff. Having the last three runs or something would be cool. Or, just having a running mileage counter for the current week/month/year would be nice as well. As for your idea about exporting the data through RSS, that sounds pretty cool as well. The feed might get pretty large, though, if it's going to contain all of the data that people want to keep. I still think an Excel spreadsheet, or comma-separated or tab-separated values would be best for a full data export. Or maybe some type of XML format. I'm not sure if any other logs have XML formats that you could use.