Testing shoes - how long? (Read 868 times)

I am trying to get myself into a new pair of shoes. The running store has recommended a lower stability shoe than I have been wearing. They said to try them on the treadmill to see how they do and they will exchange if they cause a problem. What is the best way to try them out? How long do you think I run to get a good feel?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Boy...sometimes I have had to run 50 miles or so in a shoe before I can really tell if they are going to work for me or not. That's tricky. Obvious fit issues are usually obvious pretty quickly, but some more subtle stuff can take a bit longer to discover.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

A couple of times I've tried something new with shoes, and it usually didn't take too long to figure out they were wrong for me. Once it took about 3 weeks and 60 miles, but more recently it only took two weeks and 25 miles to figure out I had made a mistake. Just listen to your body, and don't assume minor aches and pains will go away with time. If they are because of new shoes, chances are they'll just get worse.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

A treadmill isn't going to cut it. You probably won't need very many runs in your shoes to know whether they are all right or not, but it needs to be on varying terrain and at least with some uphill and downhill and flat. You really can't test shoes on a treadmill; there isn't enough variation and doesn't promote a completely natural running gait (you don't push yourself forward, you are carried backwards.)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing. How do you know whether it's the shoes, over-doing it, whatever. And I never run on a treadmill. He just wants to be able to resell them. I am pretty concerned about the lower stability but I am definitely not pronating in them (due to orthotics) so if worse comes to worse I can use them for short runs. There were 2 separate individuals at separate times who recommended the same shoe, and it was at a running specialty store, so.... If I get a shoe to work, I'm buying a dozen!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I kind of echo the others. I bought a pair of Nikes once with the same deal and brought them home and ran less then 1/2 mile and could feel problems brewing --- took them straight back after maybe 4 minutes of running. My most recent pair of shoes (NB 1223) I bought but really wasnt sure about them. I ran in them for about 2 weeks and maybe 30 or 35 miles before I realized that I really liked them....they fit differently then my last shoes and I had to get used to how they felt...so it just took a few days. Even tho you may not know for sure, I would think you will have a decent idea after a few of miles because you will know how it feels....but you may not know for sure for a few days... Also - it may just be me - But I like higher stability shoes -- just because I like the feel of the extra padding........or they feel better on my feet, so when someone recommedns less stability I always get nervous.

Champions are made when no one is watching

TJR

Some (if not all) the major running shoe brands have exchange programs if the shoes don't work for you. Here is a link to Brooks': http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Returns+%26+Exchanges/

Some (if not all) the major running shoe brands have exchange programs if the shoes don't work for you. Here is a link to Brooks': http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Returns+%26+Exchanges/
                  Same goes with running shoe stores. Maine Running Company will let you bring a pair of shoes back if they don't work after you leave, no questions asked. They'd rather have you in good shoes and become a lifetime customer than keep a one time $80-$100.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I certainly hear what you are saying about a life-long customer, and I would be one if they let me do that. But I live in the largest city in Canada and I can shop at hundreds of stores to get running shoes. So I can see why they assume customers won't stay for the long run. Wink

Run 500 miles in them and say they felt off Evil grin* Not that I would ever do this to my store. I am truly on a runner's high today. Coupled with tiredness. Tripled with recovery liquids. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, Bob's your uncle.

A Saucy Wench

I certainly hear what you are saying about a life-long customer, and I would be one if they let me do that. But I live in the largest city in Canada and I can shop at hundreds of stores to get running shoes. So I can see why they assume customers won't stay for the long run. Wink
                        I live in a big running city and all the GOOD running stores have a 30 day exchange policy. But, I also know that the ability to return things is more common in the US. My friends from UK are shocked at how much people return here.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My friends from UK are shocked at how much people return here.
                          They take it to the opposite extreme. When I was in London in college I bought a leather jacket in Camden town. By the next day or so the lining was tearing completely out. They gave me HELL about returning it. Hello, this jacket you sold me has a MASSIVE defect! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay