Hip Hip Poopyray! :oP (Read 737 times)

Warning: Whining ahead! Ok. Maybe not so much whining...a little wincing?! Just wondering if anyone has any input. A few times I've seemed to have problems with my hip?? muscle on the left side. It's the muscle that you can feel if you stand up straight, raise your leg (not bent) straight out to the side. Right there on the side of your butt/hip where you can feel the flexing. It happened a few times this winter running on the treadmill. I'd then wait a couple days till it was gone, taking it easy and stretching, then I'd be off and running again. The other day when I casually, ever so slowly (as I am normally) ran about 9 miles in the beautiful warm sun down a completely deserted trail, it happened again. Since it happened on the treadmill, it sort of blows my theory about how maybe switching from the treadmill to running outside would effect it somehow. I did read that if you've done one exclusively that you shouldn't just jump into the other- gradually work up to what you were at on the other. In other words, if you're doing an hour on the treadmill, don't just go out and do an hour outside. This was in Runner's World mag. Fact or fiction, I'm not sure. I'm a newbie. Can you injur a muscle and have it only hurt sporadically? I've run btwn the other time(s) it's bothered me and I've been fine. Maybe this is just called "getting older". Very frustrating, though, as the weather's getting nice and I can't go, go go! Angry Grrrrr.
      Possibly bursitis?? I have some of that. Super fast running makes mine hurt, after the run that is. Sounds like the same area as my pains. There are a lot of places where bursitis can happen. This pain runs in my family.

Michelle

Possibly bursitis?? I have some of that. Super fast running makes mine hurt, after the run that is. Sounds like the same area as my pains. There are a lot of places where bursitis can happen. This pain runs in my family.
        That sounds a lot like what's going on with me. Infact, I noticed that it really started to kick in when I'd try to speed up. How do you handle it? Just rest after it acts up until it's gone? How often does it happen with you? You seem to be doing really well running-wise!
          My bursitis comes and goes. I used to think there was a connection with my body being properly hydrated and when the flare ups were bad. But I'm not sold on that quite yet. It doesn't bother me when I do regular running, as in easy pace, or even race pace. The most painful times are after I do speed workouts. It's not common that I feel the pain during a run though. There was a stretch of time over a year ago when it was SOOOO bad that there were times when I literally crawled, standing up was just too painful. That was when I went to the dr and got a prescription for anti-inflammatory (sp?) pills...and was told to TAKE A BREAK. After a break, I eased back into it and since then the pains are never as bad. I don't ever have to take any pills for it now. Sitting for a long time sometimes causes pain too, once I stand up and take a few steps, but it goes away quickly then. I think now I'm just "used" to it. I know that after speed workouts I'll have some pain, but by morning the pains are gone. In the past I would ice my hip, the left one being the painful one. Heat felt nice but I doubt heat was the right thing to do. It all makes me feel old!!

Michelle

Thanks for the info Michelle! I'm hoping it'll go away again after some rest. Maybe I'll put some ice on tonight and take a Motrin too! Driving me nuts with this gorgeous weather we're having here in Michigan! Smile
            Eryn

If it hurts to touch your butt around the bony hip part, it could be bursitis. Hurting when running or when you change your running sounds more like it's your iliotibial band. From the looks of your log, you had a string of longer runs recently and your mileage made a pretty good jump from January to February. This wikipedia link is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_Band_Syndrome You are right on with immediate stuff- ibuprofen pretty hard the first few days it starts acting up, ice it with a bag of frozen peas to get the swelling down, then once the pain is less stretch, stretch, stretch! When the pain goes away, start strengthening your knees. Women can have weaker quad muscles and consequently the running takes a toll on the knees & hips! Do easy squats (without weights at first) and really work on your quads. This should be taken with a grain of salt! I'm a full year away from my MD, so this is only medical student advice! Best of luck healing!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Sympathy pains! Yesterday after my speed workout my RIGHT hip was hurting! Which isn't the usual hip for giving me a hard time. It hurts today too after running at a "tempo" pace just doing my usual 5k course. Maybe it was jealous that I was talking about the other hip. Roll eyes

Michelle

Sympathy pains! Yesterday after my speed workout my RIGHT hip was hurting! Which isn't the usual hip for giving me a hard time. It hurts today too after running at a "tempo" pace just doing my usual 5k course. Maybe it was jealous that I was talking about the other hip. Roll eyes
                  Oh no! I jinxed you!! Sorry about that. I hope you're better today! Not being able to run, I've found that I'm really getting the house clean, laundry done, baking like a maniac...let's see, oh! More time to shop on the internet! LOL (The last two aren't that good!) Roll eyes
                    Oh no, now it's spreading. My friend Holly, who is on my soccer team, and is a runner (she's the one who convinced me to do Broad Street)...now has hip pains. She was telling me about it last night before our soccer game. We were both standing there pointing out where on our hips the pain is and just at that moment we realized that the younger people there were looking at us like we were a joke. It was a sad moment for us. Cry

Michelle

Oh no, now it's spreading. My friend Holly, who is on my soccer team, and is a runner (she's the one who convinced me to do Broad Street)...now has hip pains. She was telling me about it last night before our soccer game. We were both standing there pointing out where on our hips the pain is and just at that moment we realized that the younger people there were looking at us like we were a joke. It was a sad moment for us. Cry
                      Oh no!!! This is bad. Just bad. And hilarious all at the same time cuz I can completely relate!! Big grin Well, a little rest was helping my hip, I think. Infact, it wasn't hurting when I'd flex and then yesterday, I was in a store and walked backward a bit. Being the graceful thing I am, I tripped over a little table and twisted my hip again. I stood there afterward, not moving, just thinking to myself what the chances were that I would find the one item around me lower than my knees to trip over. *geesh* Blush