How often do you have sucky runs ??? (Read 852 times)

Prophet!

Today was my first one in a few months...9 miles of fun easy run, 2 miles of crappiness followed... i'm not sure what happened...maybe cracking 40mpw last week was too draining...oh well, tomorrow will be a better run Smile
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lately I haven't had too many. Most of my recent sucky runs have been greatly influenced by sucky weather. But the past few weeks the weather hasn't been too godawful, so my runs have been pretty good. Last Nov. was a month of sucky runs, but it was just generally a really difficult time as my FIL became ill and passed away, so much of the month was spent not sleeping well, eating crap, and driving 8+ hours each way back and forth between here and my MIL's home 3x. I find that when life is going well the runs follow suit, though sometimes it seems to be the other way around! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Today was one of those--even though it was warm. By Michigan standards that is--33. Then I think of guys like you SurfNRun. How sucky can running in Hawaii be??? It's all Roll eyesrelative I guess...
          I always say, in my hippiest tone, you can't have a good run unless you have a bad one every once in awhile. Something about never knowing what good feels like without the comparison. That being said I had 3 bad ones leading up to today, so I could really appreciate a nice strong run.
          2008 Goals
        • Run 1250 miles
        • Get down to 135!
        • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
        • zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today was one of those--even though it was warm. By Michigan standards that is--33. Then I think of guys like you SurfNRun. How sucky can running in Hawaii be??? It's all Roll eyesrelative I guess...
            Tru dat! It was 40 and windy for my MI run, today...but not a cloud in the sky. Loved. it! Big grin And reneemc is right on the money--bad runs show us how good the good runs really are! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Last evenings run was the pits. Time was ok but the run was crap. One where I wondered what the hell made me think I could run. It was only 2 miles. Then this morning's group training run of 8 miles was great. A 13.03 pace including stopping for about 2 or 3 minutes for water and or Gatoraid.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

today was a bomb for me. Tongue I can't even remember eating anything substantial for dinner last night and took off for a 10mile run this am with only a couple swigs of water and a gu packet, NO red bull. I hit a wall at mile 8. Dead I did the entire 11 but it's a clear reminder to me that red bulls are my coffee...and I usually only drink 1/3 of one before a run but it's enough to feel like a difference. other than that long winded response, I have bad runs about once every couple of weeks... but then it's only a bad run while I'm doing it, once I'm done, it's great! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Prophet!

trust me ... sometimes those 90 degree days with god awful humidity can get to ya, especially on the longer runs. I saw a quote somewhere that Lance Armstrong wouldn't want to run Honolulu Marathon cause its too hot Smile
                    In my 6 weeks of training I have had 4 or 5 sucky runs. Almost every run the first mile or two sucks. I huff and puff, dread the distance, and feel every ache and pain. Then usually the body kinda sets into a groove and the rest is good/ok. But on those 4 or 5 I never quite set in to a groove the whole run and finished thinking, "what am I doing this for". They usually happen on my thursday runs which are the 3rd straight day of running. So on Wednesday I am more conscious about not over training, even though the training program I am following says weds should be the tough day of the week...
                    JakeKnight

How often do you have sucky runs ???
                      There is no such thing. If a run sucks, I run harder. If it still sucks, I run faster. If it continues sucking, I run longer. After that, I'm out of ideas. Fortunately, it's never happened. Because there is no such thing.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

See my signature.

Runners run

So true! Claire is very eloquent and I see her writing a book about her running some day. BTW - Happy 500's!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

I had a really bad one a couple days ago. It took about halfway through for things to start "feeling right". Usually my breathing just doesn't get into sync with my steps and I feel like I have no rhythm. And I totally agree that if you don't have bad days you can't have good days, and that applies to more than just running.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You jerks jinxed me! Beautiful day for a really crappy run! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Really, really crappy runs- about once a month or so. Not so great runs- about once every 6 or so times, I'd say. It's funny how a great run (I really enjoyed mine this morning) can make me say "wow, I'm so glad I took up running" and a bad run (a 5k on Saturday where my blisters got so bad I could barely walk) can make me say "wow, I am never running again." Course, that thought lasts about 5 minutes, then is followed by "what am I saying, I need to go have a good run so I can remember how much I love this sport"