Big Sur (Read 117 times)

bhearn

Just sold out in 59 minutes. Damn.

AnneCA

Just saw that!  Did you sign up?

bhearn

Nope. I got in to Western States next year, so I was hemming and hawing. I've run it four of the past five years, so maybe I'm due for a break. But I will miss it.

Actually it looks like registration for Boston to Big Sur (which I'd do if I did it at all) is still open, so I will have to do some head scratching pretty quick.

And actually, maybe I shouldn't mention this, but it looks to me like anyone could sign up now for Boston to Big Sur, then get automatically converted to a regular Big Sur entry (with partial refund) when they "don't get in" to Boston later.

bhearn

Oh what the hell. In. Sigh.

Maniac

40 minutes.  That's how long it took you to talk yourself out of taking a break from the race, deciding to register and completing the registration process.

Impressive.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Not dead. Yet.

Oh what the hell. In. Sigh.

I can wait until I can sigh about running a couple of marathons.  That's when you know you are a real runner.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

1999 Big Sur was my first and still dumbest marathon.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1999 Big Sur was my first and still dumbest marathon.

Sad

Many years ago Big Sur was my first sub 4hr and also the first marathon I doubled. When a race gets that popular I move on others. There are too many beautiful courses it is simple not worth the hassle including putting up with the crowds.

D

xhristopher

Feels like they just ran Big Sur not so long ago.

bhearn

Yeah. That's what sucks. You have to commit 9 months out.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah. That's what sucks. You have to commit 9 months out.

Unless you're running Boston.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

No, that's the thing, this year B2B registration also opened today. You can't wait until Boston registration anymore.

Imminent Catastrophe

Didn't know that. And Boston 2 Big Sur is already sold out. Well, one less decision to make.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

Wow. Well, they do say there is a wait list. I'd imagine if you got on it now, you'd probably get in. So, one more decision for you to make.

I remember when they started Boston to Big Sur, in 2010, and said there were "only" 400 spots, thinking they were crazy to expect they'd ever get that many takers. Ha. Having done it the year before on my own (plus Country Music, the day before Big Sur), it just didn't seem that likely a thing for many people to want to do.