RA Update (Aug 15) (Read 3515 times)

eric :)

Hi everyone,
    I rolled out the latest changes today.  The original feature set for this release was more expansive.  I cut back the number of features so that I can release support for the Garmin Forerunner 110 sooner instead of waiting for the other features to complete.

Without further ado, here are the changes.

Garmin Forerunner 110 Support
    Everything about the Forerunner 110 is different from the other Forerunners.  Even the data file is different.  This was why RA wasn't able to detect the 110.  I didn't want to buy the 110 because I am perfectly happy with my 305.  Because of the complexity, I bought one to ensure everything works properly.  This is only possible with your donations.  Thanks!  I did a lot of testing with it, but I am still not confident about the import process because the data I see is different from the Garmin documentation.  If you have the 110 and are having problems importing the data, just let me know and we'll work through it.

Elevation Correction for GPS Imported Workouts
    If you have a Forerunner, you know that the elevation data is completely useless.  You can now replace the GPS measured elevation by selecting the appropriate checkbox on the import page.

New Map Editor
    I completely overhauled the map editor, as you can tell from the new look.  This version should load faster than the previous one.  Theoretically, it should also work better on mobile phones although I haven't tested this.  Aside from the new look, it has several new features:
    • New elevation profile - you can read the exact elevation of any point along the route by hovering your cursor over the elevation profile, which would produce a caret to indicate the location.  A corresponding pin will appear on the map to mark the location on the route as well.
    • Elevation - the elevation profile is now always enabled.
    • Full screen mode - click the maximize button on the right side of the map's toolbar will allow the map to occupy the entire browser window.  Click the restore button (same button as maximize) to restore the map to the original size.
    • Smart auto center - the map no longer auto centers on every click.  It only auto centers when you click near the edge of the map.  This reduces the amount of panning, thus reducing your wait time between clicks.
    • Multiple follow road modes - the previous map has auto follow road.  With this version, you can control how to follow the road with pedestrian, bike and car modes.  For example, if you select bike mode, then the route will be optimized for cycling.  That is, it will obey all traffic laws and will avoid highways.  In pedestrian mode, you can go the wrong way in a one way street.
    • More accurate calculations - the previous set of distance formulae are fairly accurate.  The distance calculations are now accurate to within inches.  In reality, you'll never get this kind of precision because each pixel represents several feet even if you zoomed all the way in.  Still, don't you feel better knowing that the distances are calculated so accurately?

New Map Finder
    I redid the map finder to make it easier to use.  I'm still not completely happy with it, but there's only so much I can do with javascript without making everything slow.  The new map finder displays 10 results at a time, with a corresponding marker on the map to indicate the starting location.

New Forum Text Editor
    Some of you reported problems with the previous text editor.  I switched to a different text editor hoping it will fix some of these problems.  This editor is not perfect either but hopefully it's less troublesome.

Shoe Name Validator
    On the view equipment page, the equipment's page is pulled from Amazon.com.  The picture feature has stopped working for the most part because many of you are not entering the model name correctly.   For example, many of you include the shoe color and manufacturer name in the model.  The validator checks for the most common mistakes.  If it finds an error, it will make the correction(s) and show you the changes.

New Combo Box
    A combo box is a dropdown box that you can also type in.  For example, the workout editor's Route is a combo box.  You can select a route from the dropdown list, or type in the name directly.  The old combo box was clunky and the auto complete didn't work half the time.  Now that I'm better at writing javascripts, I created my own combo box.  It's not as pretty as the previous one, but it works a whole lot better.

Stats Widget's Pace
    The pace calculation for the summary page's stats widgets is now correct.  It is calculated only for workouts with both distance and duration.

Streak Widget
    The streak widget now optionally considers any activity as a streak, just select "Any" as the activity.

Preliminary Mobile Device Support
    My friend Brian worked on this feature.  If you're on a mobile device, the forum styles are changed so that the text fit the width of the screen.  It's more of a hack than a final solution, but it does make reading posts easier.  Also, when you're replying to a post, the editor is just a plain text box.  This should get around the typing problem on the iPhone.

Private Notes
    I added a checkbox above the notes text box.  If you select this option, then the notes will be hidden from everyone else.  This allows you to keep your workout entry public, but keep the details private, like if your run gets muddy.

Private Weight
    I was told that some people like to track their weight but are embarrassed to record it because they also like to keep their training log public.  Instead, they leave the weight field blank.   Now you don't have to choose.  Go to Options -> My Log Preferences. and select "Keep my training log weight information private".

Private Workout Entries
    You can now selectively hide workout entries.  The private entry checkbox is next to the date field.  A private entry is invisible to everyone else but you.  There is only one caveat.  Due to the way data is stored, it is possible to detect the existence of such an entry, but no details is known about it.

Pre-populate New Workout with Course Name
    Several people told me that when they log a workout, they would browse through their list of maps first.  They want a way to create a workout from the map they're viewing so I added a "Log" button on the view course page.  Clicking this button will bring you to the new workout page with the course field already populated.

Conclusion
    There are other minor enhancements and bug fixes that didn't make the list.  This is a major release because I changed much of the underlying code.  The beta users and I did our best to make sure everything works.  Since we all use the site differently, you may find bugs that we missed.  Just report them in the technical support forum and I will fix them.  Enjoy!

eric Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dave

I'm seeing some big differences using an iPad. Editor is now a small box without any of the normal buttons. Also does not let you zoom in and out. Strange.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I just tried the new route-mapper. I like it.

And I guess I also just used the new text editor (the old one did not cause me problems) . It seems very comprehensive for the messages I usually type :-)

I use Chrome 5.0.375.126 on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit .

Nice update.

Run more.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Awesome! Thanks, eric

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

craig.climber

not sure if it is related, but i uploaded a workout from my forerunner 305 and after saving, it isn't showing up on my calendar.
                You. Kick. Ass!
                highonrunning

This is awesome! I appreciate all the hardwork of  you (eric) and all the awesome beta testers! keep it up!

BJ Moose

Running Over the Hill

Outstanding continuing support. Methinks it's time for (another) donation; and, hopefully others feel the same.

A Saucy Wench

Thanks once again Eric!  You are by far the most responsive IT person I have ever known!  (I probably shouldn't say that since dh is IT and I used to work with him...hmmmm)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You'll ruin your knees!

You Da Man, Eric!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Jazz hands!

• Full screen mode - click the maximize button on the right side of the map's toolbar will allow the map to occupy the entire browser window.  Click the restore button (same button as maximize) to restore the map to the original size.
                          • Multiple follow road modes - the previous map has auto follow road.  With this version, you can control how to follow the road with pedestrian, bike and car modes.  For example, if you select bike mode, then the route will be optimized for cycling.  That is, it will obey all traffic laws and will avoid highways.  In pedestrian mode, you can go the wrong way in a one way street.
                          • More accurate calculations - the previous set of distance formulae are fairly accurate.  The distance calculations are now accurate to within inches.  In reality, you'll never get this kind of precision because each pixel represents several feet even if you zoomed all the way in.  Still, don't you feel better knowing that the distances are calculated so accurately?
                          Pre-populate New Workout with Course Name
                          Several people told me that when they log a workout, they would browse through their list of maps first.  They want a way to create a workout from the map they're viewing so I added a "Log" button on the view course page.  Clicking this button will bring you to the new workout page with the course field already populated.

All four, but especially the last one here, make me so happy that I just logged a run while giggling and clapping my hands in glee. Thanks Eric!!!

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            Yay!!!!

But since the update I cannot upload my forerunner 305 data anymore. The device is recognized but after hitting "upload" no new workouts appear?

I just realized all my runs that didn't upload yesterday evening have appeared now!

So no problem with the forerunner 305 after all.

Great stuff man!