How should I be logging my runs? (Read 2785 times)

Forgive me for the n00b question, but I can't find an answer anywhere on the RunningAHEAD site.

I recently started running again (about 6 weeks ago) after injuring myself in a car accident, and decided I needed to keep up with my runs because, to be quite honest, keeping up with the data is a big motivating factor for me.

I have exercise-induced asthma, so I'm starting small by training for a 5k (which is coming up this Saturday). I've mostly been doing 3 mile runs, 3-4 times a week, improving on my pace weekly.

My question is this. I've been categorizing most of my runs as "easy" on my training log because that's the default setting. These runs don't feel "easy" to me... I mean, I usually don't feel like ralphing afterward but I do feel that I've pushed myself at the end of the day. Looking at others' training logs, I've noticed all different kinds of categories and colors. I've mostly been running indoors on a treadmill as the south Georgia heat is not kind to me on runs, and as a beginner I enjoy the machine telling me exactly how I'm doing. Should I be categorizing my runs differently? Does it even really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Maggie & Molly

congrats on getting back into the running game!  I customized my runs to fit my needs.  One of my choices is a medium run.  For me that means running at around a 9:30  - 10:00 pace for someone else that would be a slow run.  Make the choices to fit you and go from there.  If you are feeling it at the end of your three miles then rate it that way.  Good luck on your 5K this weekend.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What Cherrie said is fine, or just keep logging them as easy.  It probably doesn't matter until you decide to differentiate the ways you are actually running.  Good luck in your 5K and your continuing progress!

as long as you know what is there and it works for you and motivates you, you can log it however you want thats the beauty of it. if you continue to log them as easy runs, you can "fine tune" it by using the star ratings or making comments, that way its as accurate as you want it to be.

and welcome to our little slice of heaven!

Do you have a weekly plan for your running? Are you training based on time or distance? Is there any variety to your runs or are you just getting 3 miles in as quickly as possible?

I would use those questions to determine how to log your runs. If there isn't any variety to your run then you don't need different ways to log a run.

"It's a must that you outwork your competition today! Think training is hard? Try losing!" Eric Thomas

I recently re-did my running organization from "steady pace", which was basically 'easy' under an alias, to being 30-second increments so I can categorize them by something that makes real sense. I may also add in sub categories onto each one and rename them, i.e. "9-9.30 easy", "9-9.30 difficult". It's a process. This whole log is built a beautiful way where it can do anything you need it to-- get creative.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just name my runs after beer.

I just drink beer after my runs.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do that too.  That helps me know which beer with which to log my run.

Some people have the runs after drinking beer.

BTW - Welcome. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

I just drink beer after my runs.

nice

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

JimR

I log mine alphabetically.

That's Ms Squeak to you!

Hehe it *is* fun to play around a bit with how you name your runs. My race runs are called "Race Zoom Zoom!" (yes, with the exclamation mark)

You could call your "easy" runs "Focussed Stagger"... that's certainly how my runs have been lately, since I took a stupid amount of time off and have had trouble getting back into it. Or even "Zombie Shuffle". Um, yeah. I wanna go change mine to that now. LOL. Smile

Good luck getting your non-easy runs to easy runs... listen to your body and don't be afraid to take walk breaks during your run if you need to. Mostly what matters is just getting out there! Smile

A Saucy Wench

Categorize them in whatever way is meaningful to you.  I believe for a brief period I had "disaster" and "thebestIcould" as categories

Whatever you call it, make sure some of those runs actually feel easy.  People have all kinds of categories because they use all kinds of effort levels. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Hehe it *is* fun to play around a bit with how you name your runs. My race runs are called "Race Zoom Zoom!" (yes, with the exclamation mark)

Does Zoomy know she has an archrival down under?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7