Any experience weightlifting and training for marathon? (Read 1611 times)

I would love to run the dublin marathon in october, but this year I have begun weight lifting to get a better body (pictures in the link below in the signature). But I wonder if I can do both. Will I have enough energy? does anyone else have experience doing both. I think I would rather concentrate on weightlifting this year, but If can do both, I may cut back on the weights when I get closer to the marathon.
    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt

Weight lifting is a staple of my marathon preparation. Normally, I do mostly body-weight stuff (pullups, pushups, lunges, squats etc) with a few dumbbell or sandbag workouts thrown in. Before running the Vermont City Marathon in 2006, though, I did an Alwyn Cosgrove program that had me start out at 15 reps and then 10 reps and then by the last two weeks I was doing 8 reps, with progressively heavier weights obviously. I set a lot of PRs (especially with squats and deadlifts) mostly because I had never bothered lifting that heavy before. (About 140% body weight in deadlift and about 160% bodyweight in squats, I think. I'd have to look it up.) That program ended 2 weeks before the marathon and I just did light weight low rep work during my taper. There are a few things to keep in mind, though: 1. You need to schedule your weight lifting and running intelligently in order to be adequately prepared for your workouts and to get adequate rest. 2. If you are doing strength training and endurance training, then the endurance training is going to "win out" every time. Being able to handle the stress from an endurance activity (running away from something trying to eat you, for example) is much more important to your body's survival than being able to push over or pick up a bigger rock, and so it will make adaptations accordingly. You'll still get strength benefits, but hypertrophy will be minimized and you won't see as large of gains as you would if you weren't doing an extreme endurance regimen such as training for a marathon. Hope that helps. MTA: And as for energy, expect to eat. A lot. I probably put back around 3800-3900 calories per day for that 6-8 week span.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

I don't think you can go full out for both. Unless you do both purely recreationally. FWIW, before I got injured I was running about 70 miles per week and lifting twice a week. But I was not lifting to gain mass like I have in the past. If you're an experienced lifter you know what I mean. It took me a couple of years to develop my upper body to where it is today, so I lifted to maintain what muscle I have rather than losing it from running so much. I could have not lifted and lost 5 lbs or so of upper body muscle in an attempt to race faster, but I look better now and don't race for a living. It worked too. I lost some fat but no muscle. I usually go heavy and short sets (4-6 reps) about every third or fourth workout. Every other time it is 3 sets of 10-12 reps (which is usually where I reach failure). I also consume adequate protein, or about 120 grams per day. You can do it.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        JakeKnight

I really want to get back into lifting. My problem is that I'm finding it difficult to be motivated to do both. How do you do that? The problem is that I like to run every day. So if I plan to lift when I get back ... well, half the time it just doesn't happen. I say - hey, I just ran 10 miles, I'm done. And then don't lift. Which is sad. I had one steady 3 week period of lifting recently and the results, in that short of period, were pretty remarkable. Worst of all is that I am weak. It's funny cuz I started running after an experience when it really hit me how bad my aerobic conditioning was. I was playing soccer with some little kids and completely out of breath. Now that's taken care of ... and I'm flabby and gaunt. So how do you guys do it? I just can't seem to multi-task very well on this. I've considered only running every other day, to concentrate on lifting on the off days. Or running 4 days a week and lifting three. Or even running every day, but on lifting days just doing a 2-3 mile warm-up. I guess the problem is that I love running, and I'm never going to really love lifting. But I love what it does. And I hate being weaker than I used to be. Any advice?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

JakeKnight

You'll still get strength benefits, but hypertrophy will be minimized and you won't see as large of gains as you would if you weren't doing an extreme endurance regimen such as training for a marathon.
            Define gains. Strength? Size? Both?

Define gains. Strength? Size? Both?
              Both. They aren't eliminated, but you certainly can see the biggest gains by concentrating on just one aspect at a time, and whenever you combine different styles of workout, the endurance is usually going to trump everything else. It's good to have variety, though; most runners (at least a lot of runners that I know) lack a bit in the strength department because they don't do any other types of exercise than running. I'd recommend reading some of Alwyn Cosgrove or Ryan Lee's stuff if you are interested more in that.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

I guess the problem is that I love running, and I'm never going to really love lifting. But I love what it does. And I hate being weaker than I used to be. Any advice?
                HTFU Yeah, I hate lifting. I hate my noodle arms waving bye-bye when I stop more. Roll eyes Sounds like the problem is just like any new regimen...it isnt commited. Schedule it in. I lift mondays and thurdsays always. Well....except when the crappy ass gym forgets to have someone there for daycare. bastards. Because then whoopsie I couldnt POSSIBLY be expected to go home and knock out pushups and dips and other shit I could do from home. Not after running. Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

Any advice?
                  If I thought you were actually serious I would post something. Wink

JakeKnight

If I thought you were actually serious I would post something. Wink
                    I'm serious. This is my serious face. I'm super serial. For real.

Dave

I guess the problem is that I love running, and I'm never going to really love lifting. But I love what it does. And I hate being weaker than I used to be. Any advice?
                      Accept who you and what you are, Jake. Maybe you were just born to be the little kid that gets sand kicked in their face at the beach. Maybe you need to accept that women will be attracted to you (if at all) by your sense of style and witty disposition. Or perhaps, just perhaps, you could HTFU and do some weightlifting in earnest for a few weeks and determine for sure if you really won't ever learn to "really love" lifting. Having said that, I'm learning to embrace who and what I am. I like my weak core. I like that my 10 year old DD has to open jars of pickles for me. I like it. I really do.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

JakeKnight

Accept who you and what you are, Jake. Maybe you were just born to be the little kid that gets sand kicked in their face at the beach. Maybe you need to accept that women will be attracted to you (if at all) by your sense of style and witty disposition. Or perhaps, just perhaps, you could HTFU and do some weightlifting in earnest for a few weeks and determine for sure if you really won't ever learn to "really love" lifting. Having said that, I'm learning to embrace who and what I am. I like my weak core. I like that my 10 year old DD has to open jars of pickles for me. I like it. I really do.
                        That answer was so good that it really belongs in this exclusive club of rejects and asshats. Come play with us. Trust me, you'd fit in very, very well. You prick. Now bite my yam bag. If I had a daughter, she'd already be headed to your place to kick your ass. I may just have to call my sister. She works out.

Dave

That answer was so good that it really belongs in this exclusive club of rejects and asshats. Come play with us. Trust me, you'd fit in very, very well. You prick. Now bite my yam bag. If I had a daughter, she'd already be headed to your place to kick your ass. I may just have to call my sister. She works out.
                          Uh Oh... Now that I read your post, it sounds like you might actually have been serious (I've joined the group and take no offense at being called a prick). OK, serious answer. I've recently started something called "Crossfit" (http://www.crossfit.com/) and am struggling myself to work it into my my running schedule. My solution is to shoot for 2 days of lifting/crossfit, 4 days of running, 1 rest day. I try to lift mid-week when I would normally take a second rest day so that I have a break between that and my long run on Sunday. I avoid some of the workouts that focus on lower body (squats and lunges make it tough to run the next day). I also have added a couple of high sets of pushups and crunches before my run. If I leave them until after, as you said, they don't get done.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

protoplasm72

I run in the morning before work and lift in the evening after work. I couldn't imagine running for an hour then lifting for an hour right after that. I only lift 1-2 times a week cause I also swim and bike.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The Greatest of All Time

I'm serious. This is my serious face. I'm super serial. For real.
                              I would preach and stuff about just sucking it up and getting motivated but you don't have that problem. I have or at least had no problems lifting and running on the same day. My weight workouts never take longer than 30 minutes. I don't know if I could motivate myself to lift at home. I love going to the gym and being around other people as it motivates to move. Also I am unlimited in a gym as to what exercises I can do. I never do the same workout twice in one month. It changes every time I go to the gym, but always works the same muscle groups (basically). Plus I usually lift with my wife (and yes free weights too, in fact mostly free weights). She is the first person I have ever lifted with and I enjoy it. We get a perfect amount of rest between sets as we switch. She does a set, I do a set while she rests, repeat. I don't think you're inquiring about which exercises to do. Buy Arnold's encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and go from there, or check out www.bodybuilding.com If this is just a mind set thing (and I think it might be) try joining a gym and setting aside a couple of times a week to go. Just work it in. Get up at 4:30 one day a week if you have to, but work it in. I know telling you to replace a run with a weight workout is probably futile, so just add a couple of weight workouts. You can really make a difference with only 60 minutes of weights a week but you can't do the workouts like a 10:00 min/mile easy run. You have to bring a whole new attitude with you. You have to want to throw iron around. You have to want to make your upper body exhausted and possible sore. In other words, you must bring it. You're a gorilla dude. You should be a natural.

Jake, Try the New Rules of Lifting. Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Shuler wrote this book. Very good book. I have been doing the workouts since November and have gained 10 pounds of muscle. Upperbody more defined and tons of gains in my legs. As a runner that can't hurt. As far as schedule goes. I would lift 3 - 4 days a week and run 5 days a week. Normally when I lift I run a mile warm up, lift then run 3 to 4 miles after. Saturday's just did my long runs. I have a feeling you run a lot more then I as you and the Monkey Dr are seen all around these parts! Big grin I start training for Chicago next week and I will drop my lifting down to 3 days a week and lift a bit lighter then I did before. Hope this helps.