Running after microfracture procedure? (Read 488 times)

Two weeks ago I had arhtroscopic surgery on my knee to remove a loose body and the surgeon also performed a microfracture procedure because of the size of the area that was missing cartilage (it was down to the bone). I'm on crutches for 4-6 weeks and I'm not quite sure what to expect after that. When I had my post-op visit with the surgeon's assistant, I was told that I can't run any more. If I do return to running, they said that it's only a matter of time before I need a total knee replacement. Black eye Needless to say, it's not the news I was hoping to hear. I've got another follow-up visit with the surgeon in two weeks so I'm interested to hear what he has to say about the subject. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type of procedure and if they've been able to return to running. If so, was there a noticeable difference in performance? Did you have to do anything differently? Any information would most definitely be appreciated. Thanks! Chris
      Just thought of some additional info that may or may not help for those with advice that may not be familiar with the microfracture procedure. From what I was told, they drilled little holes into the area of exposed bone. By doing so, it causes bleeding to occur in the damaged area. That bleeding causes a clot which helps to cover/fill the area while simultaneously helping with the formation of new cartilage. The surgeon's assistant said that running and/or jumping could cause the clot/new cartilage to be dislodged which would bring me back to square one again... and then would ultimately lead to the need for a total knee replacement. The one thing that gives me hope is that a number of NBA players have had the same procedure and returned to playing ball. Amare Stoudamire in the past (if I'm not mistaken) and Greg Oden (former Ohio State Buckeye) just had it done this year and is supposed to return next year. Again, any help or advice is most definitely appreciated... be it good or bad.
        Sorry to hear this, Chris. Sad It will be interesting to hear what the surgeon has to say. Did he give you any indication of this after your surgery? Was the microfracture procedure something he was not anticipating before hand? Just wanted to wish you good luck with your recovery.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Thanks Chenille. The surgeon actually told me beforehand that the microfracture procedure might be necessary but that he wouldn't know until he got in there. Based on the results of my MRI, he said it was about a 50/50 chance. I haven't actually talked to the surgeon himself since the surgery although I did contact his office and ask for a callback (which I never received) early last week. Figured I'd just wait until we have a formal appointment and he's got the pictures and everything in front of him. Thank you for your well wishes. I hope everything's been going well with you.