Do you have a favorite running watch? (Read 1828 times)

Jeffrey

Hi, I am in the market for a new watch. Does anyone have a favorite brand and model? I want something that does the basic functions. Aesthetics are important and I don't want a gigantic hunk of plastic on my wrist - that drives me nuts while I run. Heart Rate Monitor is not necessary. Currently I am looking at the Suunto t3. Let me know if you have experience with that one or another Suunto. Thanks!

Finished!

I'm not sure if that model Suunto has been reviewed anywhere, but a good resource for outdoor (general) reviews is BackpackGearTest.org I personally just use a Timex Ironman Sleek watch - does what I need it to do and it doesn't look half bad Smile even better, it isn't like some honkin huge piece o plastic on my teensy wrist!
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, those aren't cheap! Campmor has a few of those. Though I am quite happy with my $15 Timex. It's petite but has fairly large digital #s and is simple to use. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jeffrey

Thanks for the link. The t6 is more watch then I need for sure! I am looking at the humble t1 or t3 model.
          Wow, those aren't cheap! Campmor has a few of those. Though I am quite happy with my $15 Timex. It's petite but has fairly large digital #s and is simple to use. Smile k

You'll ruin your knees!

Sunnto t3 Features: Real-time Training Effect Current heart rate, average heart rate and maximum heart rate Real-time calories burned Three-tier zone training system with alarms 2 adjustable HR limits with alarms Speed and distance with optional Foot POD, Bike POD, Road Bike POD or GPS POD Compatible with PC POD Dual time, date and alarm Log memory for 15 workouts Stopwatch with 50 split laps Interval timer User-replaceable battery HR Belt with error-free ANT transmission technology Water resistant to 30m (100 ft) Interchangeable straps Let's see, it really depends on what you are looking for, if you don't care for HRM, scratch all the features related to HRM (4 of the ones listed, I believe). If you want calories burned, you can get that from logging your workouts here on RA.com. Can't speak to the speed/distance stuff, but I am not big on speed and distance measurement stuff. Distance can be captured with the mapping function right here on RA.com! I have the Sunnto x3hr and it is a great piece of equipment. Everything works just like it should. That said, I am thinking about going back to the Timex Ironman, which seems to be a better fit for what I want in a sports timepiece. The specific issues I have with my Sunnto x3hm are 1) the audible alarms are very low volume, therefore I don't count on it for the audible alarms; 2) the stopwatch functionality works great, but only up to 19 hours (I think) and therefore, sometimes not adequate for my needs; 3) the control buttons on the x3 are quite easy to use during a workout, and easy to accidentally push when not in a workout. I find that I often restart the stopwatch accidentally, or turn it off accidentally; 4) the lap counter is not easy to understand/ activate, so I find I don't use it. The x3hm also has the ability to track air temperature and barometric pressure. The temperature, however, is affected by the proximity of the watch to my skin and is not accurate (I believe this is a problem with any watch with this feature). I would recommend you look into Polar or Nike or other fitness brands for your needs and save some money. Keep in mind that I do like the Sunnto, I have just discovered that what I need and what I THOUGHT I needed are not the same. My $.02! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Jeffrey

Hi, This is great feedback. Thank you. I am worried about the accidental pushing of buttons. I have that issue with my current watch [adidas addistar]. And I accidentally trip the lap mode which causes my watch to kind of freeze up and not respond to mode-changes. You are right about cost; Suunto products aren't cheap. I don't think I need to analyze the watch data on my home computer either. I prefer a louder audible alarm too. Thanks again! Smile
              Sunnto t3 Features: Real-time Training Effect Current heart rate, average heart rate and maximum heart rate Real-time calories burned Three-tier zone training system with alarms 2 adjustable HR limits with alarms Speed and distance with optional Foot POD, Bike POD, Road Bike POD or GPS POD Compatible with PC POD Dual time, date and alarm Log memory for 15 workouts Stopwatch with 50 split laps Interval timer User-replaceable battery HR Belt with error-free ANT transmission technology Water resistant to 30m (100 ft) Interchangeable straps Let's see, it really depends on what you are looking for, if you don't care for HRM, scratch all the features related to HRM (4 of the ones listed, I believe). If you want calories burned, you can get that from logging your workouts here on RA.com. Can't speak to the speed/distance stuff, but I am not big on speed and distance measurement stuff. Distance can be captured with the mapping function right here on RA.com! I have the Sunnto x3hr and it is a great piece of equipment. Everything works just like it should. That said, I am thinking about going back to the Timex Ironman, which seems to be a better fit for what I want in a sports timepiece. The specific issues I have with my Sunnto x3hm are 1) the audible alarms are very low volume, therefore I don't count on it for the audible alarms; 2) the stopwatch functionality works great, but only up to 19 hours (I think) and therefore, sometimes not adequate for my needs; 3) the control buttons on the x3 are quite easy to use during a workout, and easy to accidentally push when not in a workout. I find that I often restart the stopwatch accidentally, or turn it off accidentally; 4) the lap counter is not easy to understand/ activate, so I find I don't use it. The x3hm also has the ability to track air temperature and barometric pressure. The temperature, however, is affected by the proximity of the watch to my skin and is not accurate (I believe this is a problem with any watch with this feature). I would recommend you look into Polar or Nike or other fitness brands for your needs and save some money. Keep in mind that I do like the Sunnto, I have just discovered that what I need and what I THOUGHT I needed are not the same. My $.02! Lynn B
              vicentefrijole

I've been using a Timex Ironman for about 3 years now. Before that I had the same watch for 7 years (would have lasted longer but I lost it). So it's very durable. The labels always wear off the watch before anything stops working. And it's pretty cheap ($30 US?) It does all your basic functions fairly well (I mainly just use the chrono to time laps/miles) but nothing fancy (no heart rate, calorie, or pace calculations... and no download/upload). I wouldn't say it's beautiful, but it doesn't stick out as ugly, which is better than most. The buttons are fairly easy to hit (except with cold fingers in the winter.. always a problem) but I almost never hit them on accident. The biggest down-side I can think of is that the numbers in the display are pretty small, especially the lap-time numbers, so if you can't see well or do a lot of running in dim light that might be a problem. It does have indiglo, but that doesn't help so much when you're trying to read those tiny numbers while doing a speed workout. Let us know what you decide on! Big grin
                  I have been wearing the Timex 150-Lap Ironman Sleek Watch (model 5B561) for about six months and am very happy with it. It has BIG numbers that are easy to read on the run, buttons that are easy to feel and loud enough, 150 laps, indiglo, and several other functions. The band is plastic/rubber, but seems sturdy enough. It has a larger body than most running watches, but I like that because I have large hands. It's also pretty light despite the size, and I don't notice it when running. I also like the look of it - clean and pretty simple. Amazon has the watch for sale for $39.97 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000223SS2/yahoo-watches-20/ref=nosim)
                  Jeffrey

Still searching, researching. Smile
                    Let us know what you decide on! Big grin

Sluggard

I have an old timex ironman that bugs the heck out of me. I run with it in split mode, and when I am done running, there's no way that I've discovered to actually make it stop. It just "splits." In other words, it just keeps on trucking after freezing the display for a few seconds, so that I have to remember my stupid time, which is hard considering I'm usually trying not to pass out, throw up, or cry. Plus it doesn't store your splits or laps. It just freezes the display so you can write it down on the clipboard you are carrying around the track, I guess. Annoying. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what. My favorite right now is my iPod nano's stopwatch. It allows you to easily tap splits or laps, and at the end, you get a nice little report, which it seems to store until you delete it. The report lists your splits, laps, average lap, and total time. The downside for me is that if I want to change my music while I run, I have to navigate out of stopwatch mode and into music mode, and that's a lot for me to handle when I am trying to run and not fall down. Maybe santa claus will bring me some kinda ideal stopwatch, lap/split recorder, heart rate monitor, GPS, PDA watch with an easy to use interface. Cry
                      vicentefrijole

I have an old timex ironman that bugs the heck out of me. I run with it in split mode, and when I am done running, there's no way that I've discovered to actually make it stop. It just "splits." In other words, it just keeps on trucking after freezing the display for a few seconds, so that I have to remember my stupid time, which is hard considering I'm usually trying not to pass out, throw up, or cry. Plus it doesn't store your splits or laps. It just freezes the display so you can write it down on the clipboard you are carrying around the track, I guess. Annoying. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what. (
                        That's really weird! It sounds like maybe your watch is broken/malfunctioning (especially if by "old" you mean 20 years old and went through the dryer twice). Or perhaps it's so old that it doesn't have the features that mine has? I don't have mine with me, but when I go home tonight I'll take a look and then post some directions about how mine works... hopefully it will help you with yours. (or maybe santa will bring you a Garmin 305 and you can put this watch out of its misery!)
                        vicentefrijole

Okay, here's how MY Timex Triathlon works... I've noticed that there are some with only one button in front (mine has two "stop/reset" and "start/split/lap") so perhaps you'll have to adapt these directions to your own watch.. or perhaps this won't help you at all! If your watch doesn't have any "lap memory" then these directions may be useless to you.. however, I don't think Timex has made an Triathalon without at least a 20 lap memory in many, many years, so I think it should work. Sorry if these instructions seem overly obvious.. I figure I might as well be thorough in case something small will fix your problem. Basic Chrono Functions: (Push "mode until you're on the CHRONO screen) 1) To start the chrono, push the "start/split/lap" button (for my watch, this is on the front, right side). It should start to count up (like a stop watch should). My screen has the total time in large font and the split/lap time in small font above it. 2) To take a lap/split reading, push the "start/split/lap" button again at any time. It will freeze briefly (10 sec) so that you can look at your split time (above) and your total time (below). However, the chrono is still running and after 10 sec you will see it counting up again (with that 10 seconds included, of course) (This sounds like what you described. To actually STOP the watch, see #3.) Repeat for as many lap/splits as you want. 3) To stop your run, push the "stop/reset" button once. This will stop the chrono completely. 4) If you want to start again after stopping, push the "start/split/lap" button again. It won't take a lap/split reading, it will just start up again. This is nice if you want to stop and rest... just hit "stop/reset" once, rest, then "start/split/lap" once and you're back at it again. 5) To stop your run and store the data (at the end of your run) push "stop/reset" once to stop the chrono completely (same as in #3 above). Then push and hold "stop/reset" for 5 seconds. My watch displays the words "hold to store" as I'm waiting. When it's done, the words will go away and the chrono will look blank. 6) To review stored data (still in chrono mode, but not while the chrono is running) hit "Recall" (for my watch, this button sticks out the upper left-side). Hit "recall" again and again to see the total (TOT), average lap (AVE), best lap (BEST), and then each individual lap. If you didn't do any Lap/split readings, then I think it will just show the total. (If you have multiple workouts stored (they call them "segments" on mine) then you might have to scroll through them with the "mode" button before you find the one you want to look at.) 7) To clear stored data (in chrono mode, not while the chrono is running) press and hold "stop/reset" for 5 seconds. (Mine reads "hold to clear".) There are other things you can do, I'm sure. There's a way to look at your splits while you're running the chrono, but I haven't messed with that. Hope this is helpful.
                            I have an old timex ironman that bugs the heck out of me. I run with it in split mode, and when I am done running, there's no way that I've discovered to actually make it stop. It just "splits." In other words, it just keeps on trucking after freezing the display for a few seconds, so that I have to remember my stupid time, which is hard considering I'm usually trying not to pass out, throw up, or cry. Plus it doesn't store your splits or laps. It just freezes the display so you can write it down on the clipboard you are carrying around the track, I guess. Annoying. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what.
                            I have that watch. Although I have not bothered to completely figure it all out, I do know how to stop it and make it freeze. Still start the watch using your "start/split" button on the front. When you are done, hit your "stop/reset" button on the side. That should hold your time and keep it there. Hope this helps!
                            "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
                            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Still searching, researching. Smile
                              squidboy, If you're still researching, I highly recommend watches with only one button (start/split) on the watch face. Many watches have two buttons: start/split and stop/reset. One common complaint I hear about the two button watches is that the wearer accidentally hit the wrong button during the race and have no mile splits after that. I have the Timex GPS watch and I love it. added: fixed grammar
                              Jeffrey

Mile Collector, Good point about the buttons. Which Timex model are you referring to? I'd like to take a look at some Timex as I haven't researched that brand yet. Thanks! Smile
                                I have the Timex GPS watch and I love it.