gpx-files and time-zone... (Read 846 times)

Since a few weeks, I upload the gpx-files of my runs (files from Runkeeper or CardioTrainer).

No problem so far, but I have to manually adjust the time of day of my runs. 

Today's run started at 8:34, but on my log it was 03:34...

Both on the CardioTrainer site and the Runkeeper's site, the correct times are shown.

I'm in Belgium, UTC/GMT 2.00 during daylight saving period.

Of course this is not a big problem, but I just wanted to mention it as feedback on a tiny little bug...

(I know that I could use Handy Runner on my Android, but I like the audio-feedback of the other apps, so I prefer them over Handy Runner)

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Hi Ann!

Could you send me the gpx files so I can take a look?  The time of day depends on your time zone, which I'm sure you've set correctly already.  It could be related to the other reports about Handy Runner time of day problems.

eric Smile

I've sent them as an email-attachment...

Running in Belgium
        Ann

Will Crew for Beer

I have the same issue with the Runkeeper generated GPX files that I upload. I always have to add 4 hours to the time that RA picks up.

Richard

2014 Goal: A Fall race TBD.

@rabutler: take a look at your timezone setting...

It turned out that mine at least was wrong.

(Options -> Locale Settings)

Running in Belgium
            Ann

Will Crew for Beer

My Time offset is set to GMT -5:00 which is correct for my location.

Strangely, I've also noticed that the time stamp on threads in replies on private messages are off. I sent a private message on 6/10 at 2:43 pm. The sent message is time stamped correctly. The reply in my inbox which includes the original quoted message shows the time stamp of the original message as 6:43 pm.

Richard,

I don't know why your time stamps are not correct, especially since you set your time zone.  Could you send me your data files so I can take a look?

The timestamps on private messages are wonky because it is expressed in the sender's time zone.  For example, I'm in EDT and you're probably in CDT.  If I send you a message at 9 AM, it's 8 AM your time so when you reply, the envelop will say 8 AM instead of 9.

Richard,

I just realized you're in Indiana, which does not observe daylight savings.  Since you selected Eastern time, we're currently at GMT-4 but your computer is set at GMT-5.  If you select Indiana as your timezone, it should fix the problem.

Will Crew for Beer

Actually, Indiana started observing DST in 2006. The year that I moved here, thank goodness. That would have driven me crazy ;-)

After having corrected my timezone, RunningAhead still gives a wrong starttime for my workouts (two hours too late instead of four hours too early...)

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

Hi Ann,

I haven't a chance to look into this problem, but will do so in the next couple of days.

Ok, I looked into it and it turns out the problem has to do with how your changes are propagated.  The data importer is handled by a different piece of software and it takes a while for it to pick up the change in time zone.  If you upload your files now, the time of day should be correct.

Since it is not a critical bug, I will make the fix in the upcoming release.

eric Smile