Best & Worst 2012 Purchases (Read 1314 times)

Samurai in Training

Let's hear them... don't have to be running related.

My worst running related purchase...  Nike Sportwatch.  It was taking a huge step backwards after using a Garmin for many years.

My best running related purchase... rubiTrack upgrade.  This is what I use to track my workouts.

My worst tech purchase...  a Hand-e-Holder.  Did I really think I was going to look cool using this in a meeting?

My best tech purchase... a Tivo Stream.  Changed the way I watch TV.

Best purchase--Bose portable sound dock. It gets used many hours every single day.

Best running shoes - Inov8 Bare-Xs.  First time I've gotten over 1,000 miles on a pair of shoes.  Now THAT is cost effective.

Best running gear - a running "buff."  I got one for free at a trail race, bought a second immediately.  Ludicrously versatile headgear/hat/mask.  

Best tech purchase - Galaxy S3.  I...love this phone.

I don't think I've had any bad purchases this year.  *knock on wood*

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Samurai in Training

Best running shoes - Inov8 Bare-Xs.  First time I've gotten over 1,000 miles on a pair of shoes.  Now THAT is cost effective.

That is a craptastic amount of miles.  I may check them out the next time at the LRS.  I'm always trying new minimal type shoes.

That is a craptastic amount of miles.  I may check them out the next time at the LRS.  I'm always trying new minimal type shoes.

It's the Bare-X 200s in particular. I actually broke 1,200 in them.  I have a second pair.  It's the first shoe so far I've bought a second pair of--those and the New Balance Minumus Road Zeroes are my go-to road shoes.

The Bare-X 200s are extremely minimal. 4mm thick, no midsole--so the typical warnings apply if you're not used to so little shoe.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Best Purchase -  http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html  It's my first GPS watch and I'm very happy with how much easier it is to record my runs with now.

Worst Purchase http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2011/11/asics-gel-cumulus-13-running-shoes-review/ I've used these shoes for more generations than I can remember.  My feet are begging for a different shoe now.  I have to find something else now.  My feet have become very sore, while my skin is irritated too. 

Best Purchase: Kinvara 2s. Comfortable, dry quick, decent grip, and only fifty bucks.

Worst Purchase: Pair of Nike tights, don't remember specific type (I have others that work great). Had a terrible race in them, checked my log and realized I'd had at least another terrible run in them. Donated them to Goodwill instantly. Disclaimer: it may not have been the tights.

kcam

Best purchase - another 205 after losing the last one

Worst purchase - a bottle of S-Caps for $30something ... bought them strictly on the rec from someone on this board I respect.  They are NOT the magic pill to make me run faster - duh!  

Disclaimer - they may actually be a good thing for running distances longer than marathons.  Gave them away to an ultrarunner friend.

Wing

Joggaholic

Best purchase: New Garmin 405 off ebay for ~$80

Worst Purchase: None yet, although I did keep buying running shirts/shorts that I don't really use (there're always a couple stinky ones that I keep on using over and over while some newer ones just sit in a pile)

Jess runs for bacon

Best running purchases: My Garmin 10 (got for free with my AMEX) and my Brooks Utopia tights. Oh and my running skirt (I wore it to my first half and Running Skirts got an interview with me right after the race which they put on YouTube).

Worst: my Brooks Adrenalines. Shin splints like crazy for whatever reason.

I have a Tivo too, god I love that thing.

rainmakerrc

Best running purchase - Saucony Kinvara 3's (multiple pairs -  the best would have to be the ones I bought with 20% off gift cards from Running Warehouse combined with the Run Blogger discount = $60 with a $2.15 credit remaining at RW).  The Kinvara 2's were great for me, and the 3's have been even better.

Best non-running purchase - Galaxy S III (for 99 cents - TY, Retentions Dept.)  Awesome phone!

Worst purchase - NUUN (not really bad, just didn't use it much)

Samurai in Training

Worst purchase - NUUN (not really bad, just didn't use it much)

I have 3 containers I always forget about. 

Buelligan

Best purchase... Clarks Bushacre boots in beeswax brown.  They're called boots but they're actually shoes.   I hate buying casual shoes because fashions always change, but this shoe will stay in fashion until I die.  The style has been in constant production since the late-40s and was popular with the Mods in England during the 60s and they're coming into fashion with the hipsters again.  For once, I'm ahead of the curve.

Worst purchase... every tank of gasoline this year.  There's got to be a better way.

Best running related purchase... NB 730.  Billed as a transition to a minimal shoe with a very slight 3mm heel drop.  I made my own inserts to create a little more cushion and make them truly zero drop, lightweight shoes with just enough cushioning to make them useable for my particular forefoot strike.

I wish someone would make a zero drop shoe with the cushion of a typical lightweight trainer , though.

Worst running related purchase... nothing.  Except for shoes, I haven't made any running related purchases.

npaden

Worst purchase.  Pyle GPS HRM watch.  I think I paid $75 and it was way too much.  The GPS is pretty poor and the HRM is iffy.  It takes a lot of work to get the GPS or the HRM turned on and off and if you don't get it turned off the battery runs down in less than 8 hours.  Not a good purchase.

Best purchase.  Probably my sketchers go runs at Amazon for $40.  Seem to be a pretty good shoe for the $.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Best purchase: GPS watch (Garmin 610)

Worst purchase: NUUN - yuck and worthless.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55