Treadmill v outside (Read 1999 times)

billhathaway

I bought a Garmin 305 and the footpod to capture my workout data when I'm running on treadmills. I calibrated the unit on an outdoor measured 1/2 mile course. I've found that the high-end Life Fitness treadmills at my gym tend to read anywhere from +/- 5 seconds/mile to +/- 25 seconds a mile when moving at 7 minute miles. The ventilation in the gym isn't that great and I struggle on longer runs when the cardio area is packed with people and it gets hotter.
    DeadMopoz

I was running on treadmill exclusivly starting last september - absolutely no outside running where done until now. My usual workout during basebuilding was 2 hour run, 6.5-7.5 mph. What I found helpful is to use "random" workout, setting it anywhere from 3 to 8. That means that every 30 sec elevation will change anywhere from 0 to 8% . Today I run 6 miles outside for a first time in last 5 month. My impression - running outside is so much easier!!! My speed was much higher than what I do on treadmill at the same level of effort and HR seemed to be lower. There are downhills after every elevetion, so you can compensate for any speed lost and relax - no downhills on treadmill. Air is fresh and it is not as hot. That talk about "air resistance" you suppose to compensate by setting treadmill to 1% - what a joke... that 1% will compensate for Katrina Smile So, I am going back to my gym on Monday. But may be once a week I will run outside - just to get a feel for it, and closer to races planned will do some tempo there (may be sprint workouts)
        One more thing,... You can't spit on a treadmill. I hate that!!!

- Anya

Many People think that because the belt is moving, running on a treadmill is easier so they should be able to run faster but anyone that has done some AB tests for time will find that you can run faster outside (if it is a reasonable temp and you don't have to content with hills and wind). The biggest reason for this is inertia. Once you are moving in relation to the ground your body builds a momentum that actually decreases the amount of energy needed to continue forward. (if you don't believe me try running at top speed and then stop moving your legs!) On the treadmill since you never build momentum, there is no inertia moving you forward so every step requires more effort so that you don't get shot off the back. This is the reason that you can just jump off the mill at anytime without any problems. If you find yourself a nice flat running area on a day that is 65 degrees with no wind, test it out. You will have better time onthe ground. Remember, left foot, right foot GL
          I have to disagree about the inertia argument on why the treadmill is harder. By definition, inertia is the resistance in change of velocity. It acts the same way on objects at rest or objects moving. When you run on the ground, it's true, you carry forward inertia. However, the same is true on a treadmill. Your inertia will help you stay in your place which is what you're trying to do on the treadmill. Another way of looking at it is relative velocity, when you're on a treadmill, you keep a relative velocity with the belt. Jumping off the treadmill to step on the sides of the belt (which is not moving like you) is similar than if you were running on the ground and jumped on an object that was moving at the same speed as you. Some possibilities on why the tm seems harder to some than running on the road: - The TM surface is usually softer than pavement or the road, so there is more energy absorbed by the belt than by the ground - I often run in the city, and have to slow down or stop at intersections. This gives a short break to my legs. The TM is constant speed all the way. - Running outside, you get the wind to cool you down. Running inside gets you hotter because you don't have any cooling effect. Anybody that tried spinning can attest to that. After a spinning session, I usually have a puddle of sweat on the ground. Cycling outside at the same intensity, I seem to sweat much less because the wind keeps me cool and dries it up. Of course cycling is an exagerated effect of what happens during running because you have much more wind while cycling. I don't like the TM, but I'm forcing myself to do some runs on it. Firstly, running on snow and ice, specially when the ground is not even is torture to my lower legs and very high injury risk for me. This is what motivates me these days to stay in on some occasions. The cold is no real problem, I often run in -20 weather and enjoy it. I just did 9 miles on the TM this morning because we just got 10 inches of snow and the sidewalks and roads are not all clear. I get the time to pass doing games on the TM. Today, I was doing strides every 800m. So I would sprint for 100m trying to keep my body relaxed. This cuts up my workout. Heck, if I can run long on the TM, it will build up my mental endurance which is great mental training for marathons ;-) - R

Prophet!

i'd love to have a TM so i can put in some miles when my kiddo is asleep. Anybody selling theirs ?
              One more thing,... You can't spit on a treadmill. I hate that!!!
              Can't is such a strong word. Sunday: 45 minutes stationary bike, 75 minutes TM @4% incline. TV#1 MacLaughlin Group, TV#2 Paula Deen cooking, TV#3 Superbowl saturation. None interesting. IPOD, Moonflower (double-album). Oh, and stupid TM automatically jumped to "cooldown" after 60 minutes and had to switch TMs.
              milehighrunner

I love my tread in the winter. I just can't get a good workout in on ice or snowy streets. I think I may pick up some bad stride habits with a full winter of treadmill running, but I can correct that when it warms up. My workouts are so much better on the treadmill than trying to run on snow that it is worth it.
                Kenotic Runner

I have a pretty good home gym with two treadmills in it. I don't like to run on the treadmill but sometimes my kids will ask me to workout downstairs rather than go outside. And they'll join me and walk or run on the other treadmill or lift weights or something just to hang out with me. It's usually Sponge Bob or Hannah Montana on the TV, but it's worth it to spend the time with the kids and to have them see a parent who exercises and to join in a bit. The time passes well hanging out with the kids. Otherwise, I'd much rather be outside.