How does your average training pace compare with your 5K - 10K race pace? (Read 183 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't know what to pick for my "average training pace".

According to the RA summary, my weekly averages for the past four weeks (including this one) are:

week avg pace approx delta to 8K race pace
    week before previous week 8:20 2:20
    previous week 10:07 4:00
    last week 11:59 6:00
    now 9:37 3:30

MTA: I guess I pick the highest number in the poll, as I'm partly (way) off the chart for training so slowly.

I did the summary for the past 12 months.  Crappy poll, I could choose either of two options, depending on whether I use my 10K or 5K pace.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It is a decent, if small, bell curve, though.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It is a decent, if small, bell curve, though.

Good point Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

I'd guess that 2 min is a common response and I wonder if breaking at 2 min will sorta skew results.

xhristopher

I don't know what to pick for my "average training pace".

According to the RA summary, my weekly averages for the past four weeks (including this one) are:

week avg pace approx delta to 8K race pace
            week before previous week 8:20 2:20
            previous week 10:07 4:00
            last week 11:59 6:00
            now 9:37 3:30

MTA: I guess I pick the highest number in the poll, as I'm partly (way) off the chart for training so slowly.

Or you have things like 50 mile races and running with lots of different people bundled into your averages.

hectortrojan

Havent ran 5k or 10k in a while, but per Daniels' Table it should be around 1:30 to 2 min/mile.

Entered HM result (8:07 min.mile) in the table. It says my easy pace should be around 9 to 9:30 min/mile which seems right based on actual easy runs. Table says pace for 10k would be 7:46 and 5k would be 7:27 which feels right.

arca

Really interesting poll. Been thinking for a while that I train too quickly/ race too slowly...may try and drop the pace but up the mileage next year.

5k race pace 6m40

10k race pace 7m15

Training runs 8m to 8m20

Walk-Jogger

I voted 45-60 seconds but that only works for my 10k time, it would probably be a minute or a bit more for my 5k time. My average running speed so far for this year is 7:05, and I could probably do a 5k at 6:00-6:10ish now and a 10K at 6:20 or better on a good day.

Retired &  Loving It

I'm well out of range of the choices. My data suggests I train at an avg pace of 20min/mi, and my 10k pace is about 13min/mi (rolling hills on recently mowed musk ox pasture). My 5k pace this past year was about 16 min/mi (warm, soft snow). My 2.2mi race was about 35min/mi (2000ft uphill). My training runs vary from snow at various temperatures to long hill climbs (4000+ft in maybe 4mi). My avg training pace in May was about 17min/mi (snow starting to go away, but not running / hiking in the mountains yet) while avg pace in Sep - with my 2 goal races - was 22min/mi (10hr climbathon with 12,000ft vertical; 7:22 marathon loop with 3500ft of up).

No, I don't do any flat, paved races.

This is why I think paces are a dumb thing to use for training if you're trying to create certain training stimuli. Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm well out of range of the choices. My data suggests I train at an avg pace of 20min/mi, and my 10k pace is about 13min/mi (rolling hills on recently mowed musk ox pasture). My 5k pace this past year was about 16 min/mi (warm, soft snow). My 2.2mi race was about 35min/mi (2000ft uphill). My training runs vary from snow at various temperatures to long hill climbs (4000+ft in maybe 4mi). My avg training pace in May was about 17min/mi (snow starting to go away, but not running / hiking in the mountains yet) while avg pace in Sep - with my 2 goal races - was 22min/mi (10hr climbathon with 12,000ft vertical; 7:22 marathon loop with 3500ft of up).

No, I don't do any flat, paved races.

This is why I think paces are a dumb thing to use for training if you're trying to create certain training stimuli. Smile

Sorry.  Your activities fall well out of the norm, I'd say. Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Or you have things like 50 mile races and running with lots of different people bundled into your averages.

Or if you're marathon racing in Tennessee this weekend, so you'll have really fast pace for the weekend.

<Guffaw><snort><backslap>

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

It's good to know my easy pace seems to fall where it should.  5k pace is 6:15 (well... was, pre-injury/time off) and easy pace now is 8:15.  So, 2:00.  I've only run one 10k and I was hung over, so I doubt that counts.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

some call me Tim

I'd guess that 2 min is a common response and I wonder if breaking at 2 min will sorta skew results.

My thoughts exactly. ie my 5k is pace is 5:50 and training paces vary from 7:30-8:30. I chose 1.5-2, but 2-3 would also be technically correct.