Advil During a race (Read 1893 times)

xor

Yeah, I'm guessing you weren't getting that stuff to enhance your performance.

No, not really.  But sort of.  Much the same way that someone might take a pain-reliever or a narcotic to deal with pain, I took anti-nausea drugs.  And drugs to help my blood levels improve.  And... er... drugs to mebe deal with some pain.  So, no, I wasn't doing it to get an edge, but I sorta kinda was.

Gray area.  Grey too.

Anyway, I don't care.  Beat the alternative.  Didn't feel particularly unethical.  Stoopid, sure.

Edited to add: I'm still waiting for the Super Soldier Formula so I can be Captain America and beat some of the jeffmikeyjscovillchuck types.  The biggest risk is that I *also* get too many Gamma Rays and hulk out.

I don't have enough purple stretch pants.

I look my best blurry!

OK, now I don't want to encourage any drug addiction and thank goodness there is pain relief or those that need it!  I had a horrendous hammock accident in Mexico last year.  If it weren't for Percocet and muscle relaxers I would have wanted to be shot!

mta - I do costuming for my kids musical theater productions.  I could make you some purple stretch pants.  A matching cape, too!  Just PM your measurements.   

Imminent Catastrophe

No, not really.  But sort of.  Much the same way that someone might take a pain-reliever or a narcotic to deal with pain, I took anti-nausea drugs.  And drugs to help my blood levels improve.  And... er... drugs to mebe deal with some pain.  So, no, I wasn't doing it to get an edge, but I sorta kinda was.

Dude, can you score me some EPO? I might be able to BQ.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I had a horrendous hammock accident in Mexico last year.  

I just wanted to quote this.  I mean no harm in doing so...I have just never seen all those particular words in the same sentence.

xor

You know where else has a horrendous hammock history?

Honduras.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know where else has a horrendous hammock history?

Honduras.

Hasta la vista, baby!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

There was a recent thread on another board about a ultrarunner who was taking vicodin. Yikes.

I was thinking about this story over the weekend.  I had my abscessed wisdom tooth pulled on Friday.  I took ONE Lortab 7.5/500 every 6 hours until Saturday morning.  I was completely gorked, wanting nothing more than to stay in bed.  It messed with me so bad that I didn't feel like running again until Monday.  I can't imagine racing ANY distance under that influence.

Here is the post from the ULTRA mailing list.  Background:  this girl had some kind of ankle tendinitis but was so desperate to run Coyote2Moon that she tried to run it anyway.  She was timed out after 70 miles/34 hours.  Let's just say that the responses to her story were ... interesting.

So everyone knows what I meant by too much...over 34 hours total I consumed 12 total Advil, 3 total Vicodin 5/500mg, and 3 total Oxycodone 5mg. This is not above the daily maximum dose for any of these meds, and I alternated them. I would prefer to use NONE so when I said too many, I meant that it was too many in my opinion.

And YES! My doctor did know that I was bringing all of these out on the trail with me! I work with the guy 5 days a week in a pain management clinic...so trust me here when I say that I know what I'm doing. I manage our dispensary in that pain clinic.  

beat

Break on through

So everyone knows what I meant by too much...over 34 hours total I consumed 12 total Advil, 3 total Vicodin 5/500mg, and 3 total Oxycodone 5mg. This is not above the daily maximum dose for any of these meds, and I alternated them. I would prefer to use NONE so when I said too many, I meant that it was too many in my opinion.

And YES! My doctor did know that I was bringing all of these out on the trail with me! I work with the guy 5 days a week in a pain management clinic...so trust me here when I say that I know what I'm doing. I manage our dispensary in that pain clinic.  

Dee Nile  - not just a river in Africa...

I think if you have to take that many drugs, it would be better to avoid the pain if possible rather than "manage" the pain - wait for the injury to heal, and run it the next year.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

i sacrificed the gift

My doc just prescribed me Anaprox 550mg (for a non-running related injury) and said that I shouldn't have any reason to worry about taking it in conjunction with running.

Discuss.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                      Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                      Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

My doc just prescribed me Anaprox 550mg (for a non-running related injury) and said that I shouldn't have any reason to worry about taking it in conjunction with running.

Discuss.

Crush it up and go.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The shirtless wonder

Discuss.

Most doctors do not know how to deal with runners.  Your doc might even think that as a runner you might be running 2 or 3 miles every couple of days.

Most doctors do not know how to deal with runners.  Your doc might even think that as a runner you might be running 2 or 3 miles every couple of days.

When my doctor asked me if I was a runner (I guess I have the look), and i said yes, his very next question was "How much?" 

I thought that was a pretty good follow up question despite getting his degree from Indiana University. 

mikeymike

Discuss.

shouldn't ≠ will not and anyway he's got malpractice insurance.

Oh and congrats, hattrick.

Runners run

The doctors know nothing about running, well maybe someone like Trent who actually runs a bit might.  My Internist wife is certain I am destined to ruin my knees by the time I am 50.