Quitting caffeine and running (Read 920 times)

Waits for Blaine to weigh-in.
    Well, if you insist...
    Oh, if you're wondering about the actual process, I basically just stopped cold-turkey and suffered through the headaches & low productivity for 2-3 weeks.
    That's what I recommend for people... Basically, I cut caffeine out of my diet around a decade ago, and saw some immediate improvements in my health. It's also one of the important dietary changes that I made that helped get away from cluster migraines; if I do have caffeine, there's a good chance I'll still get a migraine to this day. So I just avoid. Sleeping better, better concentration, etc were all great. I've never had a problem going, so I didn't need it as a diuretic. Drinking a gallon plus of water per day does a good enough job. My personal philosophy is that caffeine is worse for you than tobacco or alcohol. If you need some help quitting, though, then I recommend reading these basic instructions...

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Marquess of Utopia

My personal philosophy is that caffeine is worse for you than tobacco or alcohol.
      Damn, I didn't think it was that bad for you... What is your opinion of "really dark chocolate"? I know it contains "Theobromine" was causes a caffeine like reaction and 6mg of caffeine per ounce and I usually only eat two ounces per day. A Dark Chocolate a Day Keeps the Doctor Away
      Scout7

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning. It helps my focus. Consider this: the IOC bans certain levels of caffeine in an athlete's system. Why? Because it has been shown to enhance performance to some extent. There's a reason why some gels now contain caffeine. I don't know that eliminating it, or keeping it, will affect your running in any way at all. It might have other effects.
        Shiksa

Thanks again for all the info. I googled something and found this link: Death by caffeine Surprised I thought it was great! What I'm picturing is initially a decrease in my performance as I become a detoxing slug. However, I'm wondering if it will help me overall. I think I may give it the 'ol 30 day trial. God help me (and my husband and family!). I'm going to have to psych myself up for this for sure.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

I think I may give it the 'ol 30 day trial. God help me (and my husband and family!). I'm going to have to psych myself up for this for sure.
            Drink a lot of water, is my advice.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Burninated Peasant

I think I may give it the 'ol 30 day trial. God help me (and my husband and family!). I'm going to have to psych myself up for this for sure.
              30 days ought to be plenty. By then you may have some psychological attachment still, but the physical withdrawal symptoms should be gone.

Burninated Peasant

Consider this: the IOC bans certain levels of caffeine in an athlete's system. Why? Because it has been shown to enhance performance to some extent. There's a reason why some gels now contain caffeine.
                I didn't mention this - I've found that the caffeinated gels work much better for me now that I don't use caffeine on a regular basis. I don't use any gels very often anyway, but the caffeinated ones work VERY well for me when I do use them - typically only during a race of 16 miles or more or long run longer than 20 miles.