Running in very hot weather (Read 541 times)

Brilliant

P.S. The picture is of my King Charles Cavalier.. My wife and I have two Cavaliers. The one in the picture above and a black and tan.,,,

I, too, have a Cavalier.  Sweetest dogs ever!  Mine doesn't wear glasses though.  Wink

MrNamtor

If you have to run in hot weather, do it indoors on a treadmill.

+1

I've become a big believer in this. I made the mistake of running in the heat all last summer to train for an 11 mile race in the autumn. Now i realize that I would have gotten fitter by running more volume on an indoor treadmill.

BeeRunB

A heart rate monitor will help you to stay at proper intensities during the summer. For some people, race pace in temps 80°+ can be as much as 20% or more slower than races run in 50°. Your training paces have to be adjusted to be slower. Otherwise, you can end up doing a good portion of your summer training near summer marathon pace, which could lead to regression. Or if you're doing speed work, you could be easily pushing near MHR, when perhaps you want to be working near 5k-10k pace (for summer). If you do aerobic workouts normally at (e.g.) 70-75% in the cool months, you should be doing them at the same intensity during the summer. A heart rate monitor can help you keep your intensities where they should be. You might find these paces will also be up to 20% slower like your race paces would be. I find that aerobic progress can be made in the summer with lesser volume than the cooler months. You can measure progress with aerobic runs run on the same course at the same HR. The body will acclimate to a certain degree after a few weeks, if you keep at it in the hot weather—avoiding overdoing it. Proper training is really all about managing the total stress on the body (work + rest). The summer can easily add 20% more stress to some people's training load, if they don't adjust. A heart rate monitor is a great tool to help make the necessary adjustments. Smile
        MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I pretty much just throw away the watch on days over 85 degrees. As far as workouts, I can only run after work so I either adjust my pace expectation if I'm on the outdoor track and go by effort, or take it to the indoor track.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

JimR

Mornings are cooler than evenings.
            leonasmith1977

Addicted to Running

I've been living around Asia the past couple of months, where the temperature gets quite unbearable. I'm so scared of dehydrating myself when I run that I've resorted to wearing a camelbak on really hot days. It can get quite uncomfortable.
              zonykel

Speaking of hot weather, my neck has been getting burned in the last few days. I wear sunscreen lotion, but that doesn't seem to be enough for runs over an hour.

I've been wearing a hat that has a removable flap similar to this one: http://www.e4hats.com/uv-50-talson-side-mesh-flap-cap-grey.html

It works OK. However, what do others use to protect their necks? Bandanas around the neck?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Mornings are cooler than evenings.

We had an interesting phenomenon in Nebraska yesterday, a heat burst.  The chart shows the temp and dewpoint between 2:00 am and 5:00 am in Hastings, NE.

Feeling the growl again

It works OK. However, what do others use to protect their necks? Bandanas around the neck?

Coppertone Sport high SPF (50-80) has always been sufficient for me.  All the running and work I do outside, I use it almost daily and don't even have that much of a tan.  I've got average skin, perhaps people with very light skin would need more.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

We had an interesting phenomenon in Nebraska yesterday, a heat burst.  The chart shows the temp and dewpoint between 2:00 am and 5:00 am in Hastings, NE.

Wow!  I didn't believe you, so I googled it.  Sure enough.  Who'd a thunk that was possible?

(I wouldn't run in thunder and lightning either)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow!  I didn't believe you, so I googled it.  Sure enough.  Who'd a thunk that was possible?

(I wouldn't run in thunder and lightning either)

I'm only a little hurt. Wink

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I keep ice water at my mail box and run past it frequently.

I drink and or pour on my head and neck as needed.  My pace is even slower than

usual also.  My distance might or might not be reduced depending how

acclimated I am.

steph  

I'm only a little hurt. Wink

I thought you got creative, and played lying weatherman (aka weatherman) with us by producing some funky abnormal chart.

In all seriousness, though, that's funky stuff.  Never realized that was even possible.

(I'm going to store this away for some intelligent chatter regarding useless information that 99.9% of people do not know.  I'll look like an intellectual pulling out this chart after getting the "not possible" comments from those who know nothing about weather... haha).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I thought you got creative, and played lying weatherman (aka weatherman) with us by producing some funky abnormal chart.

In all seriousness, though, that's funky stuff.  Never realized that was even possible.

(I'm going to store this away for some intelligent chatter regarding useless information that 99.9% of people do not know.  I'll look like an intellectual pulling out this chart after getting the "not possible" comments from those who know nothing about weather... haha).

Glad to be able to supply a bit of one-upsman-worthy trivia. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Keep running, but slow down, freeze your water bottle before running so you can be drinking ice water, put ice bags in your hat or in your shirt. I often fill a plastic bag with ice and stick it in my sports bra. Cooling down your torso goes a long way towards making you more comfortable.

And I live in north Los Angeles County. Run this evening was in 94 degrees.

I also live in LA county and when it gets too hot (over 85 for me) I will run before the sun comes up or after it goes down.