Bob Kennedy at NYC Marathon (Read 219 times)

JPF

Great story about Bob Kennedy getting back into shape (for a normal person, not sub-13 shape) and planning to run NYC this weekend.  Apparently he stopped running completely and got over 200 lbs.  Still in the 170s and shooting for a 3:30-ish time.  Not really the point, but it makes me feel better to know that even a supremely talented runner has a hard time getting over multiple years on the couch and a lot of extra weight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/sports/new-york-marathon-2014-ex-distance-star-is-taking-it-slower.html

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I'm having a hard time believing he is going to run 3:20 - 3:30. This guy has ridiculous talent. Even with the lack of training and being heavier, once he gets caught up in the race I'm predicting <3:10. Or maybe I'll pass him at the 20 mile mark, Ha.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Watch for him, dbilenkin! Smile

spinach

The last paragraph of the NYTimes article says it all.  I have become a Bob Kennedy fan.  I hope he does well, but I still hope he doesn't do too well this year, it would be nice to have run a faster marathon than a former world class runner.  He sounds like a good guy right now.

jfa

It will be fun to watch. He went from an elite to a hobbyjogger.

Not unusual at all.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am glad he now gets the back of the pack.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JPF

Looks like Bob went through the half at 1:43:55 on track for a 3:25 according to the web tracking.

JPF

I'll bring some closure to this thread.  Bob finished in 3:26:17.  Negative split, 1:43:55, 1:42:22.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, good read.  Thanks for posting that.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

OMG I beat Bob Kennedy