Adjusting To New Orthotics (Read 816 times)

bone_china

Just got me a new pair of custom made orthotics to treat my shin splints about a month back and have been gradually easing into them. My shin splints have reduced considerably, however discomfort has popped up in other areas (right ankle, on the outer side about an inch from the bottom). Sad Is this normal? Have you experienced niggles cropping up in other areas? How long before I run completely pain free (or is that a dream)?
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Are you stretching.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bone_china

yes, before and after my runs.
          First, you need to ease in into your orthotics. Don't pop them in and run 20 miles. Use them a couple of times a week for your shorter runs first, then gradually add more and more runs with them. At least that's the advice I got from my sports podiatrist when I got them. The other thing he told me is to come back if there were any problems for adjustments. So, go and see your podiatrist if you still have problems. Good luck. - R
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My shin splints have reduced considerably, however discomfort has popped up in other areas (right ankle, on the outer side about an inch from the bottom). Sad Is this normal? Have you experienced niggles cropping up in other areas? How long before I run completely pain free (or is that a dream)?
            Minor aches and pains in other areas are expected when you first use orthotics. Before the orthotics, your body compensates for the misalignments by developing some muslces at the expense of others. The orthotics change how you stand and how you run. The muscles that you didn't use before now need to strengthen and I think that's what you're experiencing. As RunB said, don't do long runs in them until your body's accustomed to the changes. The pains should go away soon. If not, talk to your podiatrist.
              Take it slow - good advice. Your body needs to readjust to the new alignment. I had to go back 3 times for fixes to my custom orthotics - all covered (maybe that's why they are so expensive). I was getting an over-pronation problem fixed then discovered a neuroma then when that was fixed he had to get them readjusted again before we got them perfect. If I were you I would take my concerns back to the podiatrist so that you get it just right. You'll be happy you did. I am.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.