Local 5k - Royersford, PA (Read 583 times)

There is a 5k run scheduled for March 31st at Spring-Ford HS, Royersford PA - it benefits the SNAP program for seniors (Students Need an Alternate Party) for after the prom. Not the usual fund raiser but the program sounds pretty good. The race course is the cross country course that the high school uses. There isn't any information about it on the school web site but here is one of the race director's e-mail address from the entry form. tazzjordon@hotmail.com

Michelle

Scout7

Cool. I'm maybe 30 minutes from there, but a number of my coworkers live in that area.
        The race is on for tomorrow a.m., Spring-Ford High School. Race time - 9:00 a.m. This will be my first 5k race since Nov. 2005 - I'm curious to see how I do.

Michelle

Today's race was okay. I say just okay because it was a small gathering (aside from the boys and girls cross country team that ran it too), there was a mile marker at mile one and that was it, and it was on the high school cross country team course. It was muddy and there were a bunch of narrow sections that were at the top of small but rocky hills. The few fields we ran across weren't exactly ankle friendly so running through them was like hit or miss. My husband and I ran it together and we ended up behind a big group of high school girls which slowed us down for the first mile (8:54). We haven't run a 5K race together since 2005 and for some reason we couldn't find our agreed pace. We run at home together often but this was different. I said I thought we were going too slow and he said we weren't. Anyhow, we ended together, side to side (NO WE WEREN'T HOLDING HANDS). But we were both bummed with our time. I guess we were both planning on using the mile marker 2 as our take off and go, and we didn't have that. Oh well. We had figured this would be our "base" 5k to judge future races off of so at least we have a time to go by. We finished in 25:10. I was hoping for 24 for this race and then 23 for the next and so on till I get down to 21. I won 1st place in my age group, so that was cool. The race was so near our house we walked there and then jogged home (a mile jog). I won a RoadID gift certificate, which I think I'll actually redeem. Anyone have a RoadID? l

Michelle

That's not a bad race by no means Michelle, but I know exactly what you mean by "a small gathering" as both of my first 2 races have just been over 100 runners/walkers. And winning your age-group at one, well it's deserving a hug or pat on the back, but it feels "ho-hum" doesn't it! Because I know you're like me, it's more about the time goal you wish to achieve and the better runners you wish to challenge. You are going to get there as will I. Just keep up the hard work and pleaseee, protect that ankle as I've read you're continuing to play. That's all right. My 18yo asked if I'd join him in playing adult league this summer. Yea...I'm considering it. I love the game. Maybe I'll play keeper, but def. I'll be braced because I love running more! Take Care Ricky Smile

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

va

...I won 1st place in my age group, so that was cool...l
              Congrats on your victory!!!
                My 18yo asked if I'd join him in playing adult league this summer. Yea...I'm considering it. I love the game. Maybe I'll play keeper, but def. I'll be braced because I love running more!
                If I would have set foot on a soccer field back in high school I would have been hooked on the game way back then! It's an addictive sport, if you ask me. I can't walk by a stone or stick without doing a little side step to kick it out of the way. When I'm running I have to fight the urge to kick things that are in my way instead of stepping over them! I think it's an illness. Tongue I think you should do it, and of course, keep the ankle wrapped!! You can show those 18 year olds a thing or two. Big grin

Michelle

And winning your age-group at one, well it's deserving a hug or pat on the back, but it feels "ho-hum" doesn't it!Because I know you're like me, it's more about the time goal you wish to achieve and the better runners you wish to challenge.
                  It does feel "ho-hum", I can't explain it entirely. I should be happy with my time it's right on mark for what I run during the week. BUT...I had in mind how races are the time to push harder and get that better time. There was also a part of me that felt like since my husband and I were running the race together that we had to stay together....and then I felt like if I did push harder he would as well, and then he would beat me for sure and then I would feel worse. It was strange. So this way we ended together but with a time that I'm not completely happy with. For training, I'll be trying to figure out how to get more speed workouts in my schedule and also longer runs. The next 5k I have planned is one that I'm running with my 12 year old and I already told him that I will run that WITH him, meaning I won't leave his side. I'm fine with that, I'll be thrilled to have him run his first 5k. But, that means I need to line up another 5k so I have a date to plan my next 5k time goal with. Oh...and somehow I have to figure when to work in hill workouts.

Michelle