Interest in a multi-sport user group? (Read 1222 times)

Slo

I'm right at home in the Masters forum.

Hop in the daily thread, post your run....hand out a few atta boys....well wishes for those celebrating a silver anniv....good group.

xor

I admit to being almost totally out of my element in that forum.  I'm old enough to be there but I can't follow what the numerous (I mean numerous) continuing threads and subgroups are all about.  But maybe I'm just too old to follow. 

Heh.  Yeah, there's a lot of history at play there.  back in the coolrunning days, there was a Boomers area.  Most of those folks are in the masters area now (although some went to kick, but that was bumpy too).  There were also some one-off threads in other areas of coolrunning, like a 40-somethings thread... this is now over in the Masters area too.

The Boomers/masters have all kinds of in-jokes and stuff.  I've tried on and off for 6ish years to figure it out and have only been somewhat successful :-D. 

Slo

"4 easy recovery run

I sorely miss SRLopez's posting here. I miss his sense of humor and great actitude towards running.

enkie, most of my easy runs are done at that pace...still today!Smile"

SRL.......I just ran across this in one of the Master daily threads.

Here

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I really enjoy the Masters forum.  Yes, a lot of them already know each other, but they've always been very friendly and encouraging to me.  I post my piddly short runs every day, and they say great job!  Each month, everyone posts the number of miles he or she has run, and the median and average amounts are calculated.  The median and average are way more than I will ever be able to do in one month, and I'm one of the younger ones in there. 

MTA:  41 runners posted their mileage for August.  The median was 134.6 miles, and the average was 160.8 miles.

an amazing likeness

Heh.  Yeah, there's a lot of history at play there.  back in the coolrunning days, there was a Boomers area.  Most of those folks are in the masters area now (although some went to kick, but that was bumpy too).  There were also some one-off threads in other areas of coolrunning, like a 40-somethings thread... this is now over in the Masters area too.

A good explaination, this is how I ended up here at RA, via the coolrunning meltdown and diaspora of the Boomers & Beyond...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marathon Maniac #957

It's true that I have barely ventured out of the Masters Group here at RA.  One reason is time - I barely have time to keep up with that group, let alone others.  I did post a few times at the 2000 mile forum, but that group is a little intimidating to me.  Seems like a bunch of young guys (don't know if that's true, just what it feels like). 

I miss Stevie Ray. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I miss Stevie Ray, too. And yes, the masters' forum can be a pretty tight knit group, as many of us have posted together for years and several have met and run races together IRL. But we welcome new runners and are always happy to have someone new to play with!

A lot of the humor is carryover stuff from coolrunning, a lot of it pre-dates me joining that group in 2005. But like a "sekrit handshake" it's not too hard to pick up on it, and if there's anything you don't understand, just ask! We just love to tell the stories behind some of those words, terms, mispellings, etc.

As for venturing outside the walls of the masters' forum, I think it's like anything else. Many of us do, a lot of us don't. I'm active in a couple of forums but like Holly, have limited time to check out everything. I will say whenever I see reference to a post by SRLopez, I like to check it out!

(Hey SR, you running RVM?)

dg.

I miss Stevie Ray too.  (hi Robert). 

hey I almost sent you a message to tell you that 'In Step' got me through part of my first 18 miler.  

My biggest problem with venturing out is time.   then there's that pathological introvert thing,  but I can usually get past that.  

Hi zoom-zoom :-)

I keep starting to say more but it's not making sense.  my cold is back and I feel like a vegetable.  not sure which one.   

#artbydmcbride

Hi dg! 

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi zoom-zoom :-)

I keep starting to say more but it's not making sense.  my cold is back and I feel like a vegetable.  not sure which one.   

Sweet potatoes are nice, as is eggplant. Big grin  Hi...you should spend more time here on the main boards. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Sweet potatoes are nice, as is eggplant. Big grin  Hi...you should spend more time here on the main boards. Smile

I prefer artichokes

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Muebele

I agree that the Swim Bike Run group isn't as active as others.  I think there are a lot of RA members who do triathlons and duathlons, we just need them to speak up!
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe they're too busy training 3+ hours a day. I myself certainly don't, but I was surprised at how the second place individual finisher at ChesapeakeMan last weekend was sitting there resting -- but not limping and not looking beat like a guy who just ran a marathon, much less a guy who just did an ironman...  I suppose he must train a lot. Or eats magical breakfast food that makes him immune to getting tired. Or had plenty of energy left because he doesn't post to RA. Or something.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

But it's not RA... Sad

x 2 on checking out www.beginnertriathlete.com   They   have mentor groups that get started I think twice a year.  It's a good way to get to know a few people and feel much more like you belong.  Lots of good info.  I don't like their training log as much, hard to get used to and kind of clunky I think.  But I do like the option of inspires on their training log.  People tend to support you in your training more using them etc. 

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

x 2 on checking out www.beginnertriathlete.com   They   have mentor groups that get started I think twice a year.  It's a good way to get to know a few people and feel much more like you belong.  Lots of good info.  I don't like their training log as much, hard to get used to and kind of clunky I think.  But I do like the option of inspires on their training log.  People tend to support you in your training more using them etc. 

I may look at that.  I suppose I could always keep my log in 2 places.  I know there are other people who do that, even with just running.  Or they use RA and SportTracks, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay