5-8K Race warm-up strategy (Read 1018 times)

What recommendations do you have for warming up before a short race? I find that it takes about 20 minutes of running before I feel really strong, normally, but obviously that won't work in a short race. Any advice about how not to lose too much time at the beginning? Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

JakeKnight

You already gave yourself the answer. Remember the old joke: "Doc, it hurts when I do this ... what should I do?" Answer: "Don't do that!" Same thing here but backwards: If you know it takes you 20 minutes to feel strong - then jog for 20 minutes before the race starts. You won't be alone. A lot of folks (including most of the ones near the front of the pack) will run as long (or longer) in warm-up than they do actually running in a 5-k race. I personally do at least a couple easy miles. Just like a boxer goes into the ring already dripping with sweat, you'll do better and feel better (and be less likely to hurt yourself) if you're fully warmed up when the gun goes off.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

VictorN

I agree, why not just run for 20 minutes before your race if that seems to work for you. How you warm up is a very personal thing. Everybody is different and running experience, conditioning, and your approach to training will all have an impact on how you warm up. Try the 20 minutes, and if that works, try a variation on the 20 minutes of running…perhaps by added a couple strides or short intervals at race pace with long rest intervals between. If that doesn't work, then back off the speed work. If it does work, then try some more speed work. Keep experimenting and keep what works and discard, at least for now, what doesn't work. Victor
          The answer would be easier if you ran more training mileage, but even though you don’t I would still advise that you do a longer warmup. What might really help is to get to the race an hour early and just walk around and check out the area. You can mix in a little jogging with the walking. Then, about 15-20 minutes before the start, do two 30-second bursts at 10k race effort, jogging 30 seconds between each. Follow those up with 2 more at 5k effort. After that get a drink, go to the bathroom or whatever, and walk jog slowly before the start. The idea here is to be thoroughly warmed up without wearing yourself out. I’d estimate that at least 80% of runners don’t warm up enough. This can be especially costly in a shorter race such as the 5k. Fwiw, I always arrive at races at least an hour early and do a thorough warm up. P.S. The best thing you could do for your running would be to add a little more mileage and try to avoid taking off 2 or more days in a row. I see in your log that you do that often. The elliptical is a great form of cross training for runners, so you might consider that for filling in some of your normal off days. Good luck in your race
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            I really need to put some focus to my running and turn it more into training. At first it's just fun and since I'm so early in my running everything was so new and cool that I didn't really care, but that is no longer the case. I DREAD the treadmill, or the elliptical. I get way too hot exercising inside. Unfortunately, we have had some nasty weather that has kept me away from what I would really love to do - run outside every day. Thanks for the advice. My next race will be in early April and last year the temperature was -11 Celsius - so I didn't want to get there too early. I'll try the 20 minute warmup next time.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

dfffff

Our coach has us do a 15 minute warmup about 60 minutes before the race starts. Then stretch, get our stuff together and do 2 long strides of 60 seconds and 45 seconds with 2 minutes rest between about 20 minutes before the gun goes off. Then we do whatever we want until the race starts. I usually do a few shorter strides with about 10 minutes left. It worked very well for me last season.