Forums vs. User Groups (Read 871 times)

bhearn

This place makes me feel like I'm crashing on a friends couch while he and his wife argue about my being here in the kitchen...

Sorry about that. I think the influx will wind up being good for everyone, actually. But meantime it's not obvious how some stuff should be organized.

Imminent Catastrophe

This times 100.  Once you make your log public and get used to communicating via logs and training plans, you don't need to post every day that you just ran x miles.

What do you mean by "communicating via logs and training plans"? Is there a function that I'm missing?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

#artbydmcbride

I'm staring at your log, PerfesseR   Shy

Runners run

"run" "2" "eat"

another thing that's different here than in other message boards i've been a part of  is that ALL the front page message areas are used, and used correctly. has someone mentioned this already?

what i mean is that on nearly every other board i visit, the top section (on RA it's "running 101") is really the only section that is used - everything goes in there and the other sections are ignored. 

but, eric has set up this great sidebar that shows recent topics from ALL the sections. so, if you post your granola question in the nutrition forum, you don't have to worry that it will languish there unseen. it's really very cool.

so -- not judging or anything -- a lot of the new people are putting all your messages in the top section. it would help the overall functioning of the board if we all try to put our stuff where it belongs.

just my dos pesos.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

xor

What do you mean by "communicating via logs and training plans"? Is there a function that I'm missing?

Just basic log stalking and commentary.  I can post a lot of details about the intervals I ran yesterday.  I can also also just post that I ran intervals yesterday knowing that anyone who cares about mundane details (including the fact that I don't record my intervals "proper-like" in our groovy log) will peek at them.  Or I can just assume that in general the details are unimportant and that folks will notice if they poke into logs.   

Point being... the biggest aha I got when I started posting here (which I got from mikey. And nicely. Ha)... is that we don't need to ask each other all the "what is your average mpw?" type questions here.  Just look.

xor

This place makes me feel like I'm crashing on a friends couch while he and his wife argue about my being here in the kitchen...

Sorry stig.  At the same time, some folks who were already in the house may feel like people are kicking in the door and making comments on the furniture "hey, your sofa is ok.  But it aint a couch. We know from couches!" and stuff. 

Or different analogy... there is a nice town here.  In comes the marching band to the town square and starts up playing oompah music.

It'll sort out.  Folks here are nice.  We're also proud of the house.  A lot of people bailing from RWOL (not MRT people, I mean groups that preceded you) did so because the house seemed busted.  So it is kind of a transition to watch the people from the busted house try to go about their business as if the new house works exactly the same (potentially busted) way.  Again, MRT is a bit different.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just basic log stalking and commentary.  I can post a lot of details about the intervals I ran yesterday.  I can also also just post that I ran intervals yesterday knowing that anyone who cares about mundane details (including the fact that I don't record my intervals "proper-like" in our groovy log) will peek at them.  Or I can just assume that in general the details are unimportant and that folks will notice if they poke into logs.   

Point being... the biggest aha I got when I started posting here (which I got from mikey. And nicely. Ha)... is that we don't need to ask each other all the "what is your average mpw?" type questions here.  Just look.

And, other users can post a comment that is attached to a particular workout of yours.

DoppleBock

I think the sub 3 forum worked because it was a smaller group that talked a bit about training, but it was not an every day training toward a sub 3 thread.  More a way to track actual race results and training from a high level look.

I think with more people and many of the new poeple wanting to talk daily about their journey to a sub 3 - A forum would fit fine.

I tend to not post much about a particular rum as everyone can see my log.  There are times I would like to share more about a few runs a week that went well or sucked, but that is not comon around here.  There are other times I wish I kept my log private.

In our sub 3 marathon thread we have people that have run sub 2:30 and those who have not broken 3.  It would not make a lot of sense to have a sub 2:30 thread as it would be a little more lonely.

If you have a decent sized group for a subject that wants to have a lot of daily acitvity - Makes a lot of sense to do a group.

One big change with the influx of members ... I used to be able to keep up with what is going on around here to some degree and now the size has make it unmanageable.  I want to be welcoming to new members and even tried to follow Letters and Opinions - But they were already a pretty tight group and make it not easy to break in.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

The already existing Marathon Training and Discussions group:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MMM/forum

This was created long ago to be exactly what the title says.  It has been a really sleepy group, but it is there and has some members.

A wholly different Marathon group I didn't know existed before one minute ago:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/forum

The recently created Marathoners Dailies group:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/marathoner_dailies/forum

This was created by folks from RWOL's "Marathoners" forum to handle their "dailies" threads.  They organize it as one thread per day.

The recently created Marathon Race Training group:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum

This was created by folks from RWOL's "Marathon Race Training" forum.  MRT is a collection of training discussion threads, chat threads (like "women trying to BQ in 2012"), and the time-specific goal threads. The RWOL version of goal threads get a lot more traffic than the RA versions.  This is the group that had a weird performance issue that soured some people, since fixed.  FWIW, MRT on RWOL did not have the spam issues other groups did.

The recently created Running Donuts sub 4 Marathon Goal Time group from RWOL:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/runningdonuts/forum

The shell of a 3:20 Marathon Goal Time group that no one has posted in:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/sub320/forum

The existing Half Marathon Training group:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/forum

The shell of a 2:00 Half Marathon Goal Time group that no one has posted in:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Sub2HM/forum

Various already existing RA Goal Time threads (I probably missed some):

The 2012 Sub3 thread.

The 2012 Sub330 thread.

The 2012 Sub4 thread.

This is the RWOL 3:20 Thrusts thread in the main forum.

A recently created Sub2 half thread.

The original 2012 Sub90 (Minuteman) half thread.

The new 2013 Sub130 half thread.

DoppleBock

I would think if a bunch of people wanted to they could take over the 1st one you listed.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I don't think anyone really minds all the RWOL people coming over, but I would suggest you use a little patience.  It appears the number of people here at least doubled overnight.  The entire landscape shifted very quickly and everybody is trying to find order again.  Just give it time.

As DB said, one used to more or less be able to keep up with what was going on here.  The last couple weeks, I pretty much gave up trying to follow the main forums.  I keep seeing complaints about about the "lack of activity here".  Remember that until a few weeks ago that was normal here.  We're still acclimating to the massive increase in post volume.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but people are still figuring out how to deal with it.  RWOL was a much bigger place than here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2000 mile clubs -- the hurtlocker and the swamp.

FWIW, the Hurtlocker is no longer a 2000 mile group.

3650 miles.

Egad.

Feeling the growl again

3650 miles.

Egad.

My bad.

Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

3650 miles.

Maybe so, but there are presently more people past that mark in the swamp than in the hurtlocker. 

So... just what is the difference supposed to be between the swamp and the hurtlocker? I see a lot of the usual suspects in both.

The swamp is one of the "official" annual mileage groups, there's one for 1000 miles, 1500 I think , 2000 and maybe a few others.

So the swamp has the "YTD Mileage" page that tracks to 2000 with a pace bunny that shows where you ytd relative to that goal.

I think the hurtlocker was originally a swamp spin off that someone (obsessor maybe?) started when it looked like the swamp might finally implode. It's all good now though.

mta: I stand corrected--hurtlocker has a bunny too that tracks to 3650--so that's the difference. 2000 vs 3650.

Runners run