Sub-17 Thread (Read 465 times)

Took a shot today but just short at 17:08.   New PR though...will try again later this month.

Just a dude.

Took a shot today but just short at 17:08.   New PR though...will try again later this month.

That's a pretty darn good shot. Great job!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

For a long time 16:59 seemed a completely unachievable time, but maybe there's a glimmer of a chance for me at this.  So sign me up:

- Sub 17 before: No

- Current PR: 17:32

I've got a 5K on Thursday evening which will hopefully confirm I'm still in roughly 17:30ish kind of shape, which means sub 17:00 is a long way away, but maybe not a completely crazy dream.

Feeling the growl again

This is an awful time of year to be racing.  So take the PR and look forward to cooler weather.  Nice.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks!   I'm outside Chicago and the July 4th races are always 80 degrees and 70% humid.  The good ones (like this weekend) at least start you really early to make it bearable.  But anything longer than a 10k feels like a death wish.

joescott

I ran a 17:32 on July 4 morning, but I will be happy with that considering my lack of training and abundance of fat cells.  I hope to get clear of this hip and hamstring thingy I've had going on so I can train for real and take a real shot at it in the early fall.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Run a 17:46 on Saturday morning. That's a looooong way away... ah well.  Onwards,

Tweeeked

Not to worry too much - summer is for base building, fall is for crushing PRs 

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                  • 10k: sub-36
                  • Half: sub-76
                  • Full: 2:45 in Boston

Three straight weeks of 50 miles....and attempting 56 miles this week.

I'm doing sort of a workout/ 4-mile race on Friday.  No tapering for it, just going hard and being happy with the results regardless.

17:35 this morning...long way left to go.

Splits?

17:35 this morning...long way left to go.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

Splits? 

I had 17:35 on my watch but the results showed 17:34.

Approximate Splits

5:24 - Was fighting for lead for the first ~0.75 and then started separating

5:51 - Ran alone for this entire mile (probably not that far ahead of the next guy but I couldn't hear him and never looked back)

5:48 - Continued alone until ~2.75 miles and was overtaken by another runner (different than the one from mile 1)

0:31 - Tried and failed to keep with the winner

I've got another try coming up on 8/6 with a deeper field which I'm hoping will pull me along

Thanks.. Really all considering that was a great result. With some even pacing, that would cut 10+ seconds off.

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

robertaajr

I'd like to join in, it may take me a little bit to be sub 17 but it's a goal of mine. My personal best is only 20:44 right now but i've only been running for about 3 months. So with some good training i'm going for a sub 17.

Failed today with a 17:20.   5:25/5:35/5:45 splits...heat and a couple average weeks of training killed the second half of the race.   Will try earnestly again in a month when it cools down.