Not the news I was hoping for (Read 694 times)

My leg is feeling much better, and in fact I thought I was going to get cleared to start walk/runs. I had brought a copy of my x-ray to my PT last week; well she and several of the other PT's looked it over, and it seems that the consensus is that not only does it look like I have a healing callus in the lower tibia and possibly some involvement in the fibula, but it looks as though there are 2 old fractures in the mid-tibia where I sustained my injury last May Shocked. I was told that this new x-ray was "normal"(well they told me that my x-ray from last July didn't show anything either!). So, until I can get confirmation, it's still no running, but at least I can still Elliptical, Nordic Trac, and bike, and if I get really frustrated - there's always running in a harness to off load some of the impact Roll eyes. I'm still hoping that this is all a big mistake, and I'll be told "oops, just artifact". If I already have a callus forming is a bone scan going to show anything? Will a bone scan confirm old fracture sites? My PT suggests we start exploring other causes of multiple stress fractures. I eat a very healthy, and balanced diet, but both B12 defiency and osteoporosis runs in my family. If any one else has any suggestions about things to check, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww...Cheryl, that sucks! I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the go-ahead to run. Wow, calluses on bones...I had no idea that was possible. Damn, you have to be hardcore to get calluses on your bones! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Callus is just the term used for the area around a bone that is healing. It is not the same as a callus on your toe. Well, except that it is a bump. A bone scan will only show active bone healing. Once it is healed, a bone scan does not help. An MRI may help show old breaks. Anyhow, that is bad news. Goodness. Heal up and come back strong! And start taking that calcium...and get tested for osteoporosis.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Callus is just the term used for the area around a bone that is healing. It is not the same as a callus on your toe. Well, except that it is a bump. And start taking that calcium...and get tested for osteoporosis.
          Ahhh...OK, that makes sense. Though it would be some sort of badge of honor to go around telling people that I run so much that I have calluses on my bones! Big grin As for calcium... best damned cheese in the world! I need to place an order during our next blizzard. My grandparents were famous for ordering from FL every time there was a blizzard up that way in WI. It's almost become family tradition... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Given your geography, I would put Vit D deficiency on my radar. But, I think you know where to go for real advice - face to face with someone you trust is always better than someone on a running board. Cool
              I hope you'll get some positive answers soon. Till that time at least you can do some x-training. If your fractures are old they are probably healed by now so you will be running in no time. Waiting to get an OK is probably the most frustrating part. I also agree that vitamin D in your latitude can be an issue. I am noticing here in cloudy and long-wintered Poland, how many people break their bones even though this is dairy gobbling nation (in my humble opinion not the healthiest source of calcium, but that's another topic altogether). Good luck to you and have fun with your cross training, if you can. Smile Ewa
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                Given your geography, I would put Vit D deficiency on my radar. But, I think you know where to go for real advice - face to face with someone you trust is always better than someone on a running board. Cool
                Second this! (((((HUGS)))))))

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson