coughing after running (Read 26013 times)

I recently started running again after several years off. After every run I start coughing really hard. It subsides somewhat after about 15 minutes but doesn't completely stop for several hours. I don't cough while I run, but if I am forced to stop for traffic I start coughing until I start running again. It happens regardless of the effort or temperature, even if I run indoor on a T-mill. Could this be exercise induced asthsma?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hmm... sounds like something you should get checked out with your doc... Confused

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could this be exercise induced asthsma?
        Yep. I use an inhaler, so I don't get so much of the coughing during or immediately after a run, but for HOURS after most runs of an hour or more I will get a cough and a fair amount of drainage...EID and allergies are fun...half the time I sound like a chain smoker. Wink I would definitely talk to your doctor. If it's EID it's very treatable. I take Singulair in addition to the inhaler, which also helps with the allergy issues. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just keep running...

Hmm, I have the same thing, it has never really bothered me, I have always just been a cougher. I have been running for years now and I almost always have a coughing fit after a run, Ive never had any other problems though.

Burninated Peasant

I had this happen when I was a kid (middle school, I think?) after races. I didn't even remember it until I read this post. I'm not sure what made it go away.
              I recently started running again after several years off. After every run I start coughing really hard. It subsides somewhat after about 15 minutes but doesn't completely stop for several hours.
              I always cough and it's much worse in cold weather. I often carry a small bottle of lemon juice to sip after I stop running. I probably don't consume 3-4 tbsp's of it but it halts the cough. I've never had it last more than 10 minutes or so and with the lemon juice, it only lasts a few coughs. Someone told me ... and it makes sense .... that during the cold, my throat builds a protective coating of mucus and when I stop running and the airflow is reduced, it causes me to choke on the mucus. Some people's bodies are better at regulating this that mine evidently, but there are many articles written about "runner's cough. Google it and see what you turn up.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

IMSIRunner

I had this happed to me last year, but I took about a six month break in running and it hasnt come back. When I did have it it lasted hours and sometimes I coughed all day. Dont know what it is though.
                5/4/2008 Eugene Marathon "The Journey of 1000 Miles Starts With a Single Step" Tvccrunner1@aol.com
                  I end up coughing alot after very long runs. But recently, after a 50k that was in the mist and rain, barely a single cough. So mine must have to do with the humidity/dryness of the air.
                  Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    Someone told me ... and it makes sense .... that during the cold, my throat builds a protective coating of mucus and when I stop running and the airflow is reduced, it causes me to choke on the mucus.
                    Is it strange that I find this cool and disgusting at the same time?

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

CherryDG

I have this problem but only in the springtime when my allergies tend to bother me. Like you, it doesn't matter what effort I'm running at, or if I'm running inside on the "dreadmill". I'm fine during the run, but as soon as I stop running I can't stop coughing for about 5-10 minutes and have a hard time catching my breath. I find that if I'm more consistent about taking my allergy medicine, I don't have a problem.
                        Yep ..... The thought of crap in your throat is disgusting. I can't figure out the cool part .... unless it's just the fact that our body has so many intricate protective measures built in that sometimes they get in our way.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Not for me - just another typical day in med school.