OK, another half-marathon dilemma (Read 1477 times)

Different than the other thread. I train for and race mostly 5Ks, but I booked a trip today to visit friends in Orange County, Calif., on the weekend of May 6, which happens to be OC Marathon weekend.

There's a marathon (out of the question), a half and a 5K. I was going to run the 5K, but I'm traveling 2,500, and the course is pretty cool (actually, slight elevation drop) around and through my old stomping grounds, and finishing right near my hotel, so I'm now leaning toward paying the 90 bucks and running the half.

Plus, it starts at 6:30, so I'll be done well before my old bartender friends -- the vast majority of my old "family" in Newport Beach in another life -- are even close to being ready for brunch. I just might be moving kinda slow.

I'm running 25-30 miles in a typical week, and last week I ran 40. In October, I ran a 10-mile race as a training run and ran almost exactly eight-minute pace.

So running a half shouldn't be an issue, I'm assuming (and asking)?

And also, given that, and it's April 11, are there any little training tweaks I should make in the few weeks I have before I do it?

Forgive these sometimes elementary questions; I've run since 1969, but have only been back into it semi-seriously since 2010, and a lot of theory seems to have changed (or maybe not).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Doing a half shouldn't be a problem for you, assuming you keep up your 30+ MPW for a couple more weeks, taper a bit, and pace yourself appropriately in the race.

Feeling the growl again

You'll be fine.

If you can, get in a couple medium-long runs the next couple weeks before tapering, with some good work in there.  Say a run of 1:15 with 15min warmup, then 2X15min tempo with 5-7min rest in between and after the second one, then a good progression to the end.  Or a 6-8 mile tempo run, depending on your current ability/fitness level. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

Break it into 3 sections:  5 miles + 5 miles + 5K  and plan to attack it that way.  The 7 - 8 mi runs you have in your log are a good starting base for the first two segments (5mi + 5mi), and if you stretch them out to 9 - 11 a few times you'll have no problems with the final 5K.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I love the OC Half, definitely do it!

There's a marathon (out of the question), a half and a 5K. I was going to run the 5K, but I'm traveling 2,500, and the course is pretty cool (actually, slight elevation drop) around and through my old stomping grounds, and finishing right near my hotel, so I'm now leaning toward paying the 90 bucks and running the half.

vegefrog

Break it into 3 sections:  5 miles + 5 miles + 5K  and plan to attack it that way.  The 7 - 8 mi runs you have in your log are a good starting base for the first two segments (5mi + 5mi), and if you stretch them out to 9 - 11 a few times you'll have no problems with the final 5K.

hmmm...I think I am going to use that strategy in my half this weekend. I think that will help me mentally.

You'll be fine - the main question is how to pace it. You raced 10 miles in 1:20 a few months ago. Assuming you're in similar shape now  you should probably plan on around the same pace - that is 8 minute miles, 1:45 for the HM. If you're feeling good with 3 or 4 miles to go you can always pick the pace up a little. Looking at your recent 5k race times I would avoid going out any faster than that.

You ask about training - once a week I would do something like 6x1000m @ 5k race pace with 2-3 min recoveries (+ 15 min easy warm up and cool down), as well as the kind of thing you've been doing recently.

I'm pretty much committed to this now, and it dovetails with the fact I'm boosting my mileage well into the 30s (I'll likely hit 40 this week). And pr100, you're thinking the way I am: Try to run 8s, or even a bit slower, through 10 and then see what the deal is. The only hill of any consequence on the OC half course is apparently somewhat late, returning from the ocean onto the Costa Mesa plateau. Living on Florida, we're not used to those, so I just want to come off that hill OK and see what happens.

I'm determined to lay down much more of a base this summer than summers past, and this led to a pretty slow 5K last week, although the course had something to do with it. But I ran 39 miles, then 36, then dropped mileage and ran in the mid-20s, but then ran a hard workout on Friday and was surprised I ran slow on Sunday. Dumb.

Interesting thing: I was having pretty bad Achilles soreness, but as I've boosted my mileage and included more very easy long runs (6-8 miles, 9:30-10+ place), they're starting to get much better. Something to recovery runs, I guess, straight out of the Lydiard school and H.I.T.

SMART Approach

I don't see any reason why you can't be under 8 min pace for this half. You did a training run in October at 8 min pace for 10 miles. That work out alone means less than 8 min pace for a race. You have been doing more miles also the last 2 months. I think you go out at 8 min pace as you know you have done this before without dying and then just burn it in the last 5K. You should be able to pick up pace and finish strong but it will still be painful. This is a smart strategy for an inexperienced half marathoner. Good luck and don't over taper. I would only taper the last 4-5 days watching the intensity the last week unless you are hurting.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I don't see any reason why you can't be under 8 min pace for this half. You did a training run in October at 8 min pace for 10 miles. That work out alone means less than 8 min pace for a race. You have been doing more miles also the last 2 months. I think you go out at 8 min pace as you know you have done this before without dying and then just burn it in the last 5K. You should be able to pick up pace and finish strong but it will still be painful. This is a smart strategy for an inexperienced half marathoner. Good luck and don't over taper. I would only taper the last 4-5 days watching the intensity the last week unless you are hurting.

As an inexperienced half marathoner I would suggest tapering 2 weeks. Cut the mileage and do some speed work. 6x 100 as mentioned earlier.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

SMART Approach

I think a 2 week taper is just fine for a high mileage runner for a half marathon but poster has only run in the 30s for a short time and certainly not high mileage. If body is beaten up, take the time to recover. If you feel good, a longer taper simply is not necessary and can lead to a race where you may not run your strongest. This is also something that can be experimented with over time. At 25 miles per week, I don't really taper mileage for a half. Why? It is low to begin with and i risk losing fitness. I just try not to run hard 6 days before race day, and I always feel sharp and run negative splits.I truly believe many beginner/intermediate runners over taper. Just my opinion!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

wickedlady

You gave me this advice before my first half last year. I still remember and think about this often as I am getting ready to run my 2nd in a few weeks. Best advice I've gotten on this board (and that's saying something) Smile

I ran 44 this week -- seven in a total downpour today, both fun and really messy at the same time -- and I'm going to run a decent workout Monday, play golf Tuesday, run about 8 on Wednesday, and then I think the travel and such will take care of the taper sort of naturally. Something easy on Friday, maybe a short jog Saturday.

Thanks for all of the advice and thoughts. Some very nice and helpful people here.